PDA

View Full Version : Excess Engine Oil

Quady
12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
It has been adviced through some posts that additional 200ml of Engine oil shall be added on the new LTR-450 to prevent tranny failure! Accordingly, I have adviced the technician to do the same on my LTR he added more than 200ml....!!! would that be any harm? I have noticed performance decline as well!!! now correct me if im wrong "Excess engine oil causes performance decline"

honda300EXtreme
12-03-2006, 05:10 PM
yea too much oil will foul your plug and make it bogg out so usually when theres too much oil youll definatley know it

pimpin330ex
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
well this was a tuff problem to figure out but i came up with a solution. drain some oil.

2muchquad
12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I imagine too much oil will cause excess crankcase pressure which can also add more drag to the rotating components,im not sure it would be obvious though.I would imagine your crankcase breather would let some blow out eventually:)

L.Vegas400
12-10-2006, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
yea too much oil will foul your plug and make it bogg out so usually when theres too much oil youll definatley know it

how does the oil get to the plug and foul it?

†2005 400ex†
12-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400

I was thinking the exact same thing:ermm:

honda300EXtreme
12-10-2006, 09:59 AM
hell if i know but on my 300 if you put too much oil in it fouls the plug and the bottoms saturated wtih oil

:grr:

Quady
12-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400

__________________________________________________ __

Well, spark plug just spark inside the engine to cause fire to cause power to cause movement! That's how you fire up an engine. Hence inside engine there is Oil to lubricate and ease engine components movement (prevent early or lets say sudden wear out!) and there is fuel to be enjected in te get sparked.

Make sense?

400exrider707
12-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Quady
__________________________________________________ __

Well, spark plug just spark inside the engine to cause fire to cause power to cause movement! That's how you fire up an engine. Hence inside engine there is Oil to lubricate and ease engine components movement (prevent early or lets say sudden wear out!) and there is fuel to be enjected in te get sparked.

Make sense?

Maybe it would make more sense if you spelled something correctly. Also how would too much oil foul a spark plug? This is not a two stroke we're talking about.

Quady
12-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Maybe it would make more sense if you spelled something correctly. Also how would too much oil foul a spark plug? This is not a two stroke we're talking about.
__________________________________________________ _

The piston man the piston! it is full of engine oil to go up and down... just like ummm yeah :devil:

Quady
12-10-2006, 10:47 AM
fouled spark plug

1fst400
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
extra oil blows out the crank case breather tube usually. The crank case breather tube is in moast cases in the air box. which puts extra oil into your intake air. which causes spark plug to foul.

solution is to rout the crank case breather to a difrent location in the air box with its own little filter.

400exrider707
12-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
extra oil blows out the crank case breather tube usually. The crank case breather tube is in moast cases in the air box. which puts extra oil into your intake air. which causes spark plug to foul.

solution is to rout the crank case breather to a difrent location in the air box with its own little filter.

Ok well that makes sense, even though it seems very unlikely for oil to pass through an already oiled filter, but I dont think thats what quady is talking about.... hes talking about blow by. In which case if that happens then you have some fixin and replacing to do.

bsjoe
12-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pimpin330ex
well this was a tuff problem to figure out but i came up with a solution. drain some oil. :D

u made me laugh for like 2min straight!

bsjoe
12-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I dont think oil will HARM your engine though, it just decreases performance when there is too much oil and coats parts that shouldnt be in oil.

But I dont belive your going to have bearing failures or somthing because of putting too much oil in once.

honda300EXtreme
12-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Quady

thanks for proving my point i was just about to post on this topic again

extra oil wont harm anything it will just make your quad bog and hard to start if oil gets on the plug

Def-e-nition
12-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Question : does the Ex "dry Sump " itself after Riding , Or should one be able to pull the dip stick after a ride and have a level to be checked on the stick ?

I rode Saturday . Never had this Happen Before . NEVER . Sunday I accidently clanked against the Sump , sounded pretty empty . so I pulled the stick - Bone dry . Re-checked - Dry as a Stick . Remembering that it went in for the Hotcam On Tuesday .

Honda NOw tells me that During , Or after a ride that the Sump would be empty -i reckon thats bull !!

i understand that its a dry sump Bike - i just Cant think that ALL the oil would run into the Motor , Leaving NOTHING in the sump - why the hell do we bother putting Air-scoops on then if the sump is Empty ? eh ?

I rode saturday , rode the bike off the trailer - about 15 meters , and then Wheeld the bike out for Cleaning Sunday Morning . sO when I measured - i hadnt gone for a Major Ride Or anything . So their Argument is a bit out of whack with my theory . i reckon They just didnt fill it up enough , although they tell me that the put in 2.3 L ....... :o

GPracer2500
12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
Question : does the Ex "dry Sump " itself after Riding , Or should one be able to pull the dip stick after a ride and have a level to be checked on the stick ?

I rode Saturday . Never had this Happen Before . NEVER . Sunday I accidently clanked against the Sump , sounded pretty empty . so I pulled the stick - Bone dry . Re-checked - Dry as a Stick . Remembering that it went in for the Hotcam On Tuesday .

Honda NOw tells me that During , Or after a ride that the Sump would be empty -i reckon thats bull !!

i understand that its a dry sump Bike - i just Cant think that ALL the oil would run into the Motor , Leaving NOTHING in the sump - why the hell do we bother putting Air-scoops on then if the sump is Empty ? eh ?

I rode saturday , rode the bike off the trailer - about 15 meters , and then Wheeld the bike out for Cleaning Sunday Morning . sO when I measured - i hadnt gone for a Major Ride Or anything . So their Argument is a bit out of whack with my theory . i reckon They just didnt fill it up enough , although they tell me that the put in 2.3 L ....... :o

The "sump" is the bottom of the crankcase--not the oil tank. The term "dry-sump" comes from the engine not storing oil in the sump while it's running. Yes, there is oil in the sump while it's running, but the sump is not the only/primary oil reservoir. That's why there is an oil tank.

Forget about what the dipstick says unless you are following the correct oil check procedure. If you don't use the correct procedure the dipstick will lead most folks to believe their oil level is low.

Dry sump engines REQUIRE a specific procedure for checking the oil. It's not like a car engine where you can just pull the dipstick any ol' time and get a fairly accurate reading. Pulling the dipstick any ol' time on a dry sump engine is likely to give a reading that is WAY off.

To check the oil level on a 400EX the engine must be started and allowed to idle for several minutes. Honda recommends 5 minutes (more in cold weather). The idle part of it is important. Idle doesn't mean ride around or rev the throttle. Idle means idle. What's happening during this period of idle (aside from warming the oil and circulating it to all the nooks and crannies) is the oil pump is normalizing the level in the crankcase. This normalizing can be confirmed by an oil check bolt on the side of the right crankase cover. When the engine is idleing for a few minutes and the oil pump has had a chance to normalize the oil level in the sump, that oil level should be flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole. The oil check bolt hole is not there as part of the normal oil check procedure. It's there to help identify and diagnose oiling problems.

After the idle period you shut the engine down and check the level in the oil tank. Don't screw the dipstick in when getting a reading.

When the engine has not been running, much of the oil in the oil tank runs back down into the crankcase. That is normal.

Stein2088
12-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
I imagine too much oil will cause excess crankcase pressure which can also add more drag to the rotating components,im not sure it would be obvious though.I would imagine your crankcase breather would let some blow out eventually:)

He's rite!!! thats why you hear of a dry sump (imagine urself trying to run through a pool full of water and an empty pool) same thing altho on a 4wheeler it wont b as much and as for the as for the preasure and breather i dunno about that...

but i've heard of drag racers running less oil so that the crank doesnt touch the oil in the pan so there is less resistnace

Def-e-nition
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Ahh Spank you Gp . Now I can sleep tonight .
i was seripously confused about the whole 2.3 L thing - the manual Says Only 2.2 Will Fit in there in any case. so ...

Anyhow , I got a Lot spooked when i pulled the stick , after giving it So MUCH stick the day Before - I ran the cam in and then proceeded to utilize the new found power by running against the 450's a bit on the Track . very nifty . Im WELL pleased .

this is the first time though, that I have pulled the stick , and found nothing In there ?

anyhow , I print the Stuff you write . You saved honda from getting a good Whipping Tomorrwo, ill tell you That Much ....

Thanks bud .
have a Good Christmas in case I dont " see" you before then . Got a ride coming up Sunday - , its going to be Fun ....

Quady
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay everyone shall have no further questions after following below link :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm