PDA

View Full Version : oil mod

Fred55
12-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I was just wondering where everybody sent their yfz cases to get the oil mod done at? How much was it and what was the turn around time?

the*ovenman
12-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I am not trying to hijack your thread but what is the Oil mod? I just bought and 06 SE do I need to have this done?

Allen
12-03-2006, 01:07 PM
GT Thunder does it. I don't know the price though.....

YFZ450 11x
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I got mine done by BCS (http://www.bcsperformance.com/index.html) . It only cost like $50! Well worth it if you plan on doing any mods to your engine

jshtex
12-03-2006, 04:59 PM
The "oil mod" squirts a spray of oil on the bottom of the piston which cools the piston and aids in the lubrication of the pin.

There is a new option now but it will cost you more money. The 07 yfz has the oil mod built in, and unlike the traditional version it uses oil from the clean side of the filter. You can purchase all the parts to do this at home with basically just a side cover swap (no splitting the cases).

I have seen on at least one dedicated yfz site where a vendor there has put together a kit.

cals400ex
12-03-2006, 05:31 PM
i would get the 07 kit myself. however, it costs a lot more. the 07 kit does squirt filtered oil on the bottom of the piston where the oil mod uses unfiltered oil.

A A R O N
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Better unfiltered oil than no oil at all:eek:

YFZ450 11x
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
As long as you change your oil after every ride or two it doesnt matter if its filtered or not:D

jshtex
12-04-2006, 05:56 PM
I am sure you guys are correct in that it is better to use unfiltered oil than no oil at all.

But.... wouldn't it have been easier for yamaha to just drill the holes out to do it the traditional way instead of engineering (sp) a way to take the oil from another part of the system. I mean surely the high paid engineers know something we don't know.:)

IDK, just something to think about.

A A R O N
12-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
I am sure you guys are correct in that it is better to use unfiltered oil than no oil at all.

But.... wouldn't it have been easier for yamaha to just drill the holes out to do it the traditional way instead of engineering (sp) a way to take the oil from another part of the system. I mean surely the high paid engineers know something we don't know.:)

IDK, just something to think about.

Well, I'm sure it's a ton better to have filtered oil hitting the wrist pin, but I'm just saying, it can't hurt to have unfiltered oil hitting it either, even if it's not quite as beneficial.

cals400ex
12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
there is no doubt about it that the oil mod is better than nothing at all........if it wasn't it would not be promoted like it is.

firefighterjosh
12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
This is the first time I have herd of this. Is it a must do type thing on a Stock engine?

cals400ex
12-05-2006, 09:31 AM
i don't think it is a must do, but there have been enough problems that i would do it. i am going to get the 07 revised kit when i do it. that way i don't need to split the cases and send it off to be done.

bradley300
12-05-2006, 09:56 AM
seems to me that its not as much of an issue to run out an do it, but next time your in there anyway, its a good time for it

daddio
12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i don't think it is a must do, but there have been enough problems that i would do it. i am going to get the 07 revised kit when i do it. that way i don't need to split the cases and send it off to be done.

You don't need to split your cases. And even with the '07 mod, you will have to pull your cyl. off in order to drill the hole for the "squirter" in the case.
I stuffed rags around my crank, and just drilled a 1/32 hole in the boss by the crank. And I have a piloted counter bore tool to cut the step in the case half for the o ring.

jshtex
12-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by daddio
You don't need to split your cases. And even with the '07 mod, you will have to pull your cyl. off in order to drill the hole for the "squirter" in the case.
I stuffed rags around my crank, and just drilled a 1/32 hole in the boss by the crank. And I have a piloted counter bore tool to cut the step in the case half for the o ring.

Actually you don't have to drill anything or remove the cyl to do the 07 mod. it just involves a new side cover and a squirter that protrudes (sp) into the cyl thru an existing hole, thats kind of the beauty of it. It doesn't use the existing passage at all.

I am not sure that you have to split the cases for the old method but it seems like that I had read if your going to send it out to be done you had to IDK though???

d kelley
12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Are you sure about drilling the cases for the squirter? It looks like the 07 Uses a "nozzle" that will come thru the center case opening into the cylinder sleeve area from the 07 crankcase cover.

cals400ex
12-06-2006, 12:06 AM

i was under the impression you needed to pull the case to do the original oil mod. i could be wrong though. also, i was under the impression that no drilling is needed for the 07 kit. i will be doing it with a piston change so pulling the cylinder off isn't a problem in this case for me.

daddio
12-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by jshtex
Actually you don't have to drill anything or remove the cyl to do the 07 mod. it just involves a new side cover and a squirter that protrudes (sp) into the cyl thru an existing hole, thats kind of the beauty of it. It doesn't use the existing passage at all.

I am not sure that you have to split the cases for the old method but it seems like that I had read if your going to send it out to be done you had to IDK though???

I stand corrected. I just assumed that Yamaha just did to the '07 YFZ the same as they did to earlier YZ's.

bradley300
12-06-2006, 06:53 AM
i'm buying one of gthunder's yfz's so i asked him if it had the ol mod. his response was "no, never ran them and never had problems, i know ballance also does not run it"

makes me think you guy are really nit picking about something that is barely even an issue

daddio
12-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i'm buying one of gthunder's yfz's so i asked him if it had the ol mod. his response was "no, never ran them and never had problems, i know ballance also does not run it"

makes me think you guy are really nit picking about something that is barely even an issue

You are right. The oil mod is just something that Yamaha did for their YZ's and is only necessary for high hp, high reving racing motors, like flat track, mx and TT. Off-road motors are typicly built for reliability and don't run on the rev limiter the whole race. I'm sure Ballance's motors are rebuilt after every race, anyway.

parkers30
12-06-2006, 05:16 PM
You are right. The oil mod is just something that Yamaha did for their YZ's and is only necessary for high hp, high reving racing motors, like flat track, mx and TT. Off-road motors are typicly built for reliability and don't run on the rev limiter the whole race. I'm sure Ballance's motors are rebuilt after every race, anyway.

I was told he went through 7 bikes in 05.... don't need ot rebuildif they don't get any hours

cals400ex
12-07-2006, 12:34 AM
we may be nitpicking. however, if yamaha attempted to put an oil mod on the 06 models and then went all out in 07 with a new oil pump, oil squirter, etc. then i have a feeling it was recommended.

bradley300
12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
I was told he went through 7 bikes in 05.... don't need ot rebuildif they don't get any hours

think about the hours they are getting tho. they arent exactly putting around in the back yard

parkers30
12-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I understand, but most of the pros are only getting 2-3 bikes year in the GNCC's