PDA

View Full Version : Header Wrap

slick7108514
12-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I just recently put on a LRD Pro 4 full exhaust system on my 2002 400ex. Anyways I was riding around and went through a stream of water and then noticed right after that the coating on my header pipe was peeling off. I am considering wrapping the entire exhaust system except for the muffler in heat wrap, so I don't have to see the ugly flaking. What are everyone's thoughts on heat wrap (I've heard mixed reviews of them). If heat wrap is not a good idea, do you guys think i should just sand the pipes down so its just bare metal? Thanks for the help everyone.

C.J.

400eXr1d3rZ
12-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Sanding it down would higher the chance of it rusting. But you could sand it down and paint it with high temp paint.

ImplodedMindZ
12-02-2006, 10:36 PM
kinda off the subject and im sorry but, i was thinkin about gettin this same exhaust system. and one of the main reasons bein the ceramic coating. I take it its very crappy from what you are sayin? Ill probably just ge a yoshi now.

slick7108514
12-02-2006, 10:44 PM
well considering i bought the exhaust from some random person on ebay might have something to do with it, but i have noticed the coating scratches very easily. i scratched up the coating pretty badly trying to get the exhaust on.

ImplodedMindZ
12-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Hmmm thats odd, i kinda liked that system but ill steer clean now i guess.

To answere your original question, iv read not so good things about header wrap too. Some people say it is bad for your pipe as it will trap moisture in there and prematurely rust your header. I guess it would be cool if you dont do much riding through water or in the rain.

Someone else mentioned they painted theirs w/ some black high temp paint and it was holding up well.

12-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Your header i dont think will rust. Most are stainles steal so they wont rust.

The good about raping is
*it keeps most the heat traped in hte header so your motor and rear shock run cooler.
*It keeps the gasses coming out of the motor hotter so you will gain performance mostly a faster rev but most likely wont be felt.

The bad
*It can trap moister which will make the header rust if its steal.
* Its not to pritty.

Pappy
12-03-2006, 11:19 AM
wrapping or ceramic coating do little to nothing on an atv exhaust. they are to short to benefit from both processes, and they generate to little heat to have the ceramic be of any benefit

BranMan
12-03-2006, 12:22 PM
well i painted mine with the high temp paint and i havnt had any problems so far i think it looks pretty good to..

JOEX
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
wrapping or ceramic coating do little to nothing on an atv exhaust. they are to short to benefit from both processes, and they generate to little heat to have the ceramic be of any benefit
Are there any less costly coatings available to keep the header looking decent? Besides elbow grease:p

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your Henry Ford method:devil:

04exking
12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
sorry off topic nut does anyone have a pic of heat wrap because I have the same thing happening to my Lrd pipe on my ex. Thanks

mad440
12-04-2006, 11:22 AM
In the links section there is a link to Performance Coatings, I emailed them about coating my T4 header. their quotes were $45 for a chromex coating and $35 for any of the satin coatings they offer. I feel this is a better route than header wrap but is this like what Pappy said earlier is the exhaust too short to benifit from the coating. I dont want to waste money if it is not going to help the engine at all.

Pappy
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
the only thing the coatings do on these exhausts is make them look better. its not the coating, its the small size of the pipes etc.

i powdercoated one for my son, so far testing is good. i still say the cheap way out is probably the best!