PDA

View Full Version : ideas on how to unfreeze rear brake

BlasterEaten250
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Well now that there is snow and it is really cold, my rear brake is locking up. It did this last year too. It's really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What did you do?

250ex13
12-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Luckky. Mines been perminitly locked up for a year and a half.:(

BlasterEaten250
12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
once it warms up outside it unlocks for me, but when its cold it gets pretty stuck:ermm:

Rider-trx_250ex
12-02-2006, 09:37 PM
can u describe the problem more in depth cause my rear brake is locking up and i dont know if it is the cold or not, heres what was happening with mine

when i hold the brake just a bit and give it gas the bar my brake cables run into stick, which will now be called the slider, even when i completely let go of the brake it sticks. but as soon as i completely let off the throttle the slider pops right back into place. I cannot give the quad gas and hold the rear brake just a little at the same time or the slider will stick and i will go no where. Also when im going down a hill and tap the rear brakes and let go the slider will stick in place. It seems that whenever i hit the brakes when my gears are moving the brake slider will stick, but when they are not spinnng it goes right back into place.

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Well on mine, the brakes are just dragging. Like if I am cruising in 3rd, and pull up on the shifter and hold it (it coasts then) I will stop pretty fast. My Brake lever on the handlebars also won't pull in. Not sure if it's the same problem. I will look at it more today when I go outside.

red4ever
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
push ur quad inside

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by red4ever
push ur quad inside I meant when I go out into my garage, it's still freezing:p

yellow400ex05
12-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 250ex13
Luckky. Mines been perminitly locked up for a year and a half.:(

ok...... first off let me tell you my story..

my 250's rear break lever locked up for about 4 months before i did anything to fix it. Soo I was like "dad i can seem to get this thing to go up or down and i sprayed it with lube till it had a river of lubricant in my lawn". and i told my dad to help me try and get this thing to move. We first got one of the heaviest people we coud find to sit on the lever and jump on it a little not i like catching air so you don't snap it but just put all you weight on it. And after a while its been lubricated and u pushed it down about half way and you thiking i'm nuts bc it'll never come back up, well grab a hydralic lift and have someone watch the quad so it doesnt fall and have someone heavy lean on it so when the lift is moving up it forces the lever to go back up... (this is a 2 ton hydraulic lift) we did this 15 times and we got it freed up ALOT more but u still had to use the lift to make it go back up but it didnt take as mcuh force to make it go up like 100 pound person could lean on it and thats all it took.

so my dad and I said scrwe it and we took it to the shop. after a day they said that the break had SEIZED up withc made the lever not able to go up or down. so we got new break pads. there was rust that by the shaft that caused it to seize up.

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I am talking about the hand lever not the foot lever. I also just replaced the brake shoes in the back about 3 months ago, and everything inside was not rusty at all. I think some snow got in past the seals some how, then when I turned it off the water froze the shoes to the wall that they push on, and thats why I can't move my lever now.

ryanh250ex
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I dont know how you guys are having all sort of issues re: braking, in 5 years i've NEVER had my brakes stick on me. And i've ridden through my fair share of water/mud/snow/you name it.

rear brakes: loosen up brake linkage.

front brakes: check the fluid, might be time for a change.

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
I dont know how you guys are having all sort of issues re: braking, in 5 years i've NEVER had my brakes stick on me. And i've ridden through my fair share of water/mud/snow/you name it.

rear brakes: loosen up brake linkage.

front brakes: check the fluid, might be time for a change. My back brake still rubs when the cables are completely disconected...
Guess I will just have to live with it, I just replaced the bearings and seals but somehow snow is still getting in there:ermm:

hillclimbingrec
12-04-2006, 09:04 AM
umm,you might wanna take that to a honda dealer..in my 3 years of my recon,my brakes have gone OUT to riding in deep water,and water gets in the bearings,but never have they FROZE up,do u ride in water then park the quad out side?if so,is it REALLY cold there?like freezing cold?if so you might just have some frozen brake cables?

BlasterEaten250
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
It usually just does it when I ride in the snow. I park it in my garage, but it still gets pretty cold. Today it seemed to be working better.

exrider008
12-04-2006, 04:13 PM
try buying a new cable???

njk4o5
12-25-2006, 09:53 PM
You have to get the water out of your breaks and keep it out. Water freezes when it gets cold out, and unfortunately the 250ex drum brakes absolutely blow when it comes to keeping water out. My friend doubled up all seals to try to keep the breaks dry so that they would work, and it seems to be holding up real good. He also filled the vent hole on the bottom of the break cover housing with a bolt and some loctitie. They are still working after a month of winter riding.
As for me, i said the hell with it and took out the heavy drum and all the cables and pads and just run it with an empty drum lol, they never worked anyways and between engine breaking and the hydralic fronts, i never need them.

Pipeless416
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
well the problem has been solved. the foot lever was actually stuck at the pivot point since it was never taken out and greased or anything :rolleyes: . this is blastereaten250's brother and mechanic when im home btw. i guess thats what happens when nothing is maintained. cough brandon~ :blah:

m.h.s.c.#527
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
r u sure it is not your fronts cuz mine did that and it waz cuz my rotors was bent

BlasterEaten250
01-13-2007, 07:53 AM
yeah, i was sure it was not my front brakes lol How did you bend your rotors?

m.h.s.c.#527
01-13-2007, 10:14 AM
freakin cross country rocks or mud the mud makes em warp idk i got new ones how and where did he grease that i m gunna have to do that

BlasterEaten250
01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I greased the part of the foot brake lever that pivots. You have to take off all the heel guard stuff and dissconect the brake line from the brake lever. There should be a cotter pin you have to take off. Take it off and slide off the brake lever. Then grease the inside of the brake lever and put everything back on.

m.h.s.c.#527
01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
o ok thanx

250exkid
01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
if your breaks are frozz up! take a big heater like a propane one and put it on there for 20 mins and its done :D

BlasterEaten250
01-26-2007, 09:15 PM
lol, that actually reminds me of something.

Last year during the winter, me, my brother, and our friend were having a great day of riding. After about 3 hours of snow riding my back brakes started sticking. So I went in the garage and parked it while my brother and friend kept riding. Well needless to say I was desperate to keep riding. So what do I do? I put handwarmers on my rear final drive:rolleyes: I thought some ice got in there and froze the brakes or something. Wow, I was stupid lol.

250exkid
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
im stupide? the hand warmers got stuck or what sry dumb question but what!?????

BlasterEaten250
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I wanted to warm up my gear case on the back because I thought it was frozen (causing it to stick) and I couldnt think of a way to heat it up. Well, after thinking and thinking, I came up with putting those handwarmer pad things all over it:rolleyes:

(try not to laugh) lol