PDA

View Full Version : toe in help please

tahoe97
09-15-2002, 05:50 PM
I am still having trouble getting the toe in set from when i put my new tie rods on... anyone and everyone who has tricks or ways to do this would be apreiciated

tprender
09-15-2002, 06:05 PM
I will try and make this as short as possible. One way to set the front end is to first set on the quad and get the bars straight. Next take a tape measure and measure the distance at about 3 o'clock from the one front tire to the other front tire. Then measure the distance at about 9 o'clock on the same tire to the other tire. The front measurement should be about 1/2 in less than the back measurement. aAdjust the tierods to the measurement is about 1/2 in difference. Each time that you move the tierod check the handlebars to make sure that they are still straight. Also, use the same spot on the front and the rear of each tire.
Another way is to get a long straight edge(2x4) and put it next to the rear tire and then measure the front tire sidewall in the front and the back. This time the difference from the from to the back measurement should be 1/4 in. Do this no both sides, also you can find out if your frame is bent. Make sure that your rear axle is straight for this to work. Again check to keep the bars straight all the time.

Houser Cannondale
09-15-2002, 08:58 PM
also another easy way you can do it kinda works like a long straightedge get two cement blocks and a long piece of string set the blocks infront of the front wheels and tie the string in the middle of one block. take the string around the middle of the back tires and tie it to the other block so it lines up with the middle of the front tire. then slowly push each block in toward the bike until the string barely touches the front of each back tire. then you can use this as a straight edge to measure to your front tires from. just make sure you keep the string tight and you dont have anything bent or this wont work right.