PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting z400 valves

07z400
12-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I think i need to adjust my valves on my z400, cause i hear lil noise in the top engine part. also i read sum where i should adjust them 15-20 hours of riding time ( from brand new) I dont no 2 much about adjusting the valves.
so what size feller gauges do i use?
Do i have to purchase a shim kit ?
and i need to no how to do it
plz some body help me adjust my valves

thank you 4 reading

250X_project
12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Well to be honest I don't know much about the Z400 itself, but have adjusted valves on a couple different engines. You will have to take off the head cover. Then loosen the lock nut on the valves then adjust them to spec, tightening the push rod onto the feeler gauge. I do not know the specific clearance, but all this should be done at TDC on the compression stroke, while the engine is cold. And NEVER over-tighten!

Now with that said it is more likely that the valves would tighten rather than loosen, sense the valve faces and seats wear quicker than the cam and rockers. I would probably lean toward the cam chain tensionor or the chain itself. I know the 400EX had trouble with these. Adjusting the valves is always a good idea, you can just do it every oil change to ensure peak performance.

I will see if I can get the specs with a posting in the Z400 forum part, if you haven't done so already. I hope I helped a bit, but hope I can soon help more... :)

GPracer2500
12-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 250X_project
....Then loosen the lock nut on the valves then adjust them to spec, tightening the push rod onto the feeler gauge....

Not on a Z400. It has a shim under bucket valvetrain.

Your best bet is to buy a service manual. It will have step by step instructions. You can by a shim kit or you can measure your current clearences, remove the old shims, calculate the correct sizes needed (the service manual will help you do that), and then go to your dealer and get the sizes you need.

250X_project
12-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry. I retract my posting. What are the benefits to the shim valves?

GPracer2500
12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Shim under bucket valvetrains like that in the Z400 typically have less moving mass then the rocker arm arangement in the 400EX. Less mass is good.