PDA

View Full Version : Ice storm

Scott-300ex
12-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Well Thursday night we get about 2 inches of ice on the ground, they said 6-10 in of snow, I'm like yeh right that'll take 3 days to come down and stick, but its slick roads so me and my friends go drive around, I teach my one friend how to drift a little cuz he was to scared to stay on the gas all the way around the turn, LoL.

We are in town, there are 2 transformers on a telephone pole they both blow up, about 20 yards or so away from us. We're like, HOLY $HIT, thats badass, so I go up town and tell the cops, they go to the site, Half of main street is closed cuz fallen trees, I go to my friends and we are sitting outside and I park and try not to drive under any trees cuz they and thier branches are falling down.

The ice makes the branches 3 times the wieght so all you heard when you were outside was CRACK, then it hits the ground real hard, nothin shorter than 7 feet, So the city is workin all night, cops are runnin around with fire trucks too. I'm helpin the city out, tellin them where the big branches are on the roads, we couldn't move them they were froze to the ground.

Town looses power.

I go up to the graveyard to watch the trees fall, wut a SITE I TELL YOU. I'm walkin around my truck, 20 or so degrees out but heat or cold don't bother me, I look down I'm like 6 inches away from stepping on a downed power line, I'm like WTF!!!!! Call the dispatcher and tell them of the downed power line.

Stay up almost all night building fires for people to keep warm. Wake up go up town go to the 3 streets that you couldn't even see the yard all you see is trees/branches laying all over the ground and go offer help to people, for $$$$$$$$$$$ of course, I never asked but they gave me some which was the whole idea, $20 an hour is wut I made. :D

So this was the worst storm in the history of this area.

gotwarrior
12-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah I heard it was pretty bad.. Here in Columbia we had some ice but not as much as the STL. But we did get 15 inches of snow!!!! It was so bad that they closed down Hwy 70...

Xater
12-02-2006, 03:20 PM
wow that's crazy, i heard that there was snow thunder storms somewhere.

exrider008
12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
thats crazy. in vermont we had the ice storm of 1998 and it was nasty! i lost power for a month:eek2: it really sucked.

coolguy8769
12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
thats crazy. in vermont we had the ice storm of 1998 and it was nasty! i lost power for a month:eek2: it really sucked.

wow a month is crazy!! when the rest of katrina rolled threw up here we lost power for 2 weeks and that was hell

YFZ450Ridr
12-02-2006, 03:33 PM
im right there with ya scott. it was pretty bad. sleeted for about 4 hours then rained for a bout 2. then it sleeted MORE and finally snowed all night delivering slippery hell on the roads.

today in my backyard i watched it rain ice for about 2 hours. as soon as the sun hit all the ice on the trees(which were sagging down like you wouldnt believe) the ice falls off and it did for ever. pretty cool to watch. overall a pretty neat and new experience with that much ice.

Punk'd
12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by YFZ450Ridr
im right there with ya scott. it was pretty bad. sleeted for about 4 hours then rained for a bout 2. then it sleeted MORE and finally snowed all night delivering slippery hell on the roads.

today in my backyard i watched it rain ice for about 2 hours. as soon as the sun hit all the ice on the trees(which were sagging down like you wouldnt believe) the ice falls off and it did for ever. pretty cool to watch. overall a pretty neat and new experience with that much ice.

Me and James had some fun with the trucks didnt we James:D

Pelon 9-1
12-02-2006, 11:25 PM
crazy!!

Unverfehrt400ex
12-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Yeh I got to college at edwardsville. It was pretty crazy over there. like every powerline and tons of trees were just snapped off on the ice. I cant even imagine some of these people though having to go several days without power in this 30 degree weather.

Scott-300ex
12-03-2006, 01:00 PM
15'', thats awsome, get out the quads and sleds man. And I heard somethin about 70 bein closed thats crazy.

I drove to other towns last night and my town Waterloo was definetly hit the hardest, I made more $$$$$$$$$$ yesterday cleanin up peoples yards.

Yeh James I was over at Guitar Center when it started, then it followed me across the river home, Watson to 270 was inchin along, I was playin around in the sleeted roads, my friend was ridin with me like, they'll call the cops on you, I'm like, the cops have to see me do it so F that, so I kept playin around, LoL.

Yeh, these little branches you go up to and figure you'll snap them up and toss them, I swear they wiegh like 50 pounds and they should wiegh 1 pound at the most.

I got to chop a lot of ***** up with the axe yesterday!!!

Here's an idea, 1/8 inch stick, was 2'' thick cuz the ice!!!!!!!:eek: