PDA

View Full Version : Yosh RS-5 S/A Removal

oldskewl6
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I just baught a full system yosh rs-5 the other day for my 06 ltr450 and I also got the cherry bomb for it. It says to remove your airbox lid and spark arrestor, but when I tried to remove the spark arrestor I had to drill a hole just to get to the screw but I still can't get the allen wrench to fully insert into the head.
Please let me know what you guys are doing to get around this little barrier.

AL Elks
12-02-2006, 07:42 AM
FIrst make sure you are using metric allen wrenches. It should go right in.

rh250r
12-02-2006, 09:02 AM
If it's the new round end cap I heard you need to cut it out, not sure why but this is what I was told by someone who just installed a new one. You may want to call yoshi and ask before you cut.

oldskewl6
12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah I already drilled a hole there because you can't get to the bolt unless you drill a hole, and I am using metric but I can't tell what size to use b/c you can't see it too well. So now that I drilled a hole in a $300 pipe I find out that there is a lip of metal covering some of the bolt just enough to make it almost impossible to get the allen wrench in. I didn't want to do any more damage to my new pipe until I get some input from someone that has done it already. Also I wanted to know if I get the K&N proflow kit along with my full system yosh and the "cherry bomb" , will I need to get one of the expensive feul injection mapping devices, or will the cherry bomb work by itself.

dg26
12-02-2006, 11:33 PM
You really should get the pim, or something similar with the proflow kit, and i heard that you can get it out with one of those ball end allen wrenches so maybe give that a shot?

oldskewl6
12-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I will give that a try I'll let you know if it works, thanks for the advice. For all the trouble I am going through to get the s/a out I better get one hell of an HP gain.

oldskewl6
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I finally got the screw out with a lot of patience and a steady hand, but now I can't even get the S/A assembly to budge . Please let me know how you guys got yours out without damaging the pipe.

LTR450_#67
12-03-2006, 11:20 PM
I took a visegrips or lock-jaw pliers and clamped it to one of the lips and yanked on it.

hope this helps

later
Aaron

oldskewl6
12-03-2006, 11:54 PM
You talking about grabbing onto the oval opening where the exhaust actually comes out

AL Elks
12-04-2006, 06:50 AM
I had the same problem. Take a thin screwdriver and put it between the SA and the pipe on the bottom and pry up on the edge of the SA. Mine was caught and once I did this it came right out. You may have to do it to the top as well.

CdaleXtreme
12-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I believe he is talking about the new style exhaust. There isnt anywhere to put pliers.

When I talked to Malorie at yosh she said they have a tack weld that need to be broken our ground down in order to remove the arrestor.

AL Elks
12-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme

When I talked to Malorie at yosh she said they have a tack weld that need to be broken our ground down in order to remove the arrestor.

Now that's some good info to know right there!:)

LTR450_#67
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Thats dumb...... Why make it more work than it should be?

later
Aaron

CdaleXtreme
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Because the exahust is intended for use with the arrestor in. To minimize the chance of failure, they tack weld the piece in, instead of relying on a bolt that will inevitably loosen.

diangelo#67
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
I have the new exhaust and you need to remove the screw which I had no troubles with then the baffle still would not come out with ease you simply stick a socket wrench in there and wiggle the thing out. came right out, It was extremely tight though