PDA

View Full Version : Edealbrock AND FCR carb Questions

ricks450
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm putting a 480 bore kit on my bike, maybe 500. I need to know if Edelbrock carb will work on either kit. I want to know if it has an adjustable idle circuit (slow jet). By adjusting a screw or replacing a slow jet or however it adjusts? And will it supply enough fuel to run either bore kit - in both idle circuit (slow jet) and top-end circuit (main jet). Same for FCR carb W/TPS and which one . I also have a full exhaust, proflow airfilter and camshaft, plus either a 480 or 500 kit - will either carb work with all that? I am really leaning towards Edelbrock. If there's anybody out there that has used Edelbrock or FCR W/TPS on set-ups like this, it would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I have a 05 TRX450R, sorry.

chad502ex
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Kehein FCR carb rule!

dont waste your money with that other brand..

CHEVYZ
12-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Edelbrock carbs suck! Don't waste your money. FCR carbs are an entirely different world....coming from a guy with experience with both!

ricks450
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Do you mind explaining your reason? Why chose FCR over edelbrock? What have you experienced with these?

CHEVYZ
12-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Performance is the main reason I don't like the Edelbrock carbs. The throttle response on Edelbrock carbs is weak. The FCR carbs allow the engine to produce more power, and it is noticable. The engine pulls through much better and harder. The only plus I found with my Edelbrock was that it was easy to tune.

ricks450
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
which FCR W/TPS with stock bore on carb works well all around on big bore kits on a 05 450R?

ricks450
12-01-2006, 07:03 PM
What kind mods did you have when using Edelbrock? And the same question for FCR? and if there were any differant mods between you switching carbs? Like if you have a big bore on FCR and cam and exhuast on Edelbrock? If you don't mind? I would really appreciate it. Thanks for help.

jeepnrocks
12-01-2006, 09:25 PM
If your looking into a carb I woulod check out the 2007 CRF450 FCR carb (from the dirtbike)
From everything I am hearing its the best FCR yet.
its listed as a 41 but I believe its actually a 41.5

desratt
12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I love the edelbrocks.

chad502ex
12-02-2006, 11:08 AM
yes jeepnrocks is correct, the 07 crf carb is the best! cost the mosts too vs. other FCR's with its advancements in the accelerator circuit.

Best thing now, imo, is that there are parts readily available to modify the bore of the FCR. It was for a long time that only one builder was the only one whom made these center rings, but since this builders recent refusal to sell the rings over the counter to customers that called him direct, it forced others to be proactive and find a way to make it for the ppl needing this modification.... This refusal to sell the rings, without selling a full $800 modified carb, forced others to manufacture the parts for themselves out of desperation to keep the riders happy.

I wish i was able to make these rings, cause i would be selling them at costs just to undercut this type of unprofessional reactive response that this builder trying to monopolizing our industry with refusing sales

IMO, it's too big of an industry to be locking down growth of other organizations just to gain up on a few bucks, imo. instead, there could have been happiness all along from the parts supplier, the machining guru, and the customer in the end.

as far as moding a Edelbrock, i believe its much harder to do on the throtttle body of the carb...

ricks450
12-02-2006, 04:07 PM
What do you mean by "IMO?" Is that a company or an abbreviation for something? Do you know of anyone who makes the rings?

chad502ex
12-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
What do you mean by "IMO?" Is that a company or an abbreviation for something? Do you know of anyone who makes the rings?

IMO is in my opinion.

DRIVEN PRODUCTS makes those center rings...

44oEX
12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
IMO = In My Opinion

ricks450
12-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Is there a web site for those rings? thanks alot guys!!!

chad502ex
12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
Is there a web site for those rings? thanks alot guys!!!

yes- sure.

http://www.drivenproductsinc.com

ask for Matt

hope this helps.

TarheelRedRider
01-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah I just pulled my elderblock carb off my 450 because I could never get it dailed in just right.

desratt
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
edelbrocks are easy to dial in... more then likely if you had trouble then the float valve isn't working properly..
i've been using edelberocks for bout 6 years and love'm.. I think i'd only give it up for fuel injection

TarheelRedRider
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
You know that was my guess but I got so freaking mad I just pulled it off. I have had an elderblock carb on all my quads but I had so much trouble with this one on my 450r. I called the tech line at elderblock and I really got no where with them. I know I had the right jets in and the pump acc screw was set right but it would not rev out. It would break up bad on the top end and would bounce really slow off the rev limiter. Almost like I was out of gas. So now Im back with the stock carb and now trying the dial a jet setup. Feels great but this past weekend I was ridding a track that has allot of up hill jumps and as soon as I would land and get back on it my quad would die and stall like I just ran out of gas. It would only do it on the up hill jumps. I think that I need to change to the leak jet. What do you think? I still have the elderblock and may try to get it working right when I have the time to trace down the problem.

desratt
01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
send the float bowl to edelbrock. they have rebuilt about a dozen for me for free. just curious what fuel were you burning on this bike??

TarheelRedRider
02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
110 octane. Well Im stuck with my stock carb for right now because i just sold the elderblock. It was a deal I couldnt pass up I made about 100 bucks off it so. Paid 200 for it sold it for 300. But Im still stuck with a problem with my stock carb when I land up hill jumps and get back on it my bike stalls.

ricks450
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by desratt
send the float bowl to edelbrock. they have rebuilt about a dozen for me for free. just curious what fuel were you burning on this bike?? if you dont mind me asking. what goes wrong with the float bowls. i just got the edelbrock carb for my 500 12.5:1 05 with stage 2 cam.

440EXjay
02-04-2007, 11:16 AM
The Edelbrock will not work w/ the 500 kit. I have done it and it will not work. Went back to stock carb rejetted and works fine. I Installed the Edelbrock on my buddies HRC Kitted 450R and worked well and easy to adjust but we agreed that the throttle spring was to stiff. Made it hard to ride for an extended period of time. Plus loosing the hot start function was no fun either. Also went back to stock carb on that bike and now much more enjoyable to ride. The power difference was minimal but the joy of a long ride with no problems was great.

Hey if you still want the Edelbrock carb. I will sell one cheap.

desratt
02-04-2007, 02:43 PM
It will work fine on the 500 kit worked great on my 520's

if you use oxygenated fuel the carb can develope problems faster.. I have been using these carbs for many years so of course I have had problems.. the needle valves quit working right, the floats will actually magnetize, the accelerator pumps sieze up, there is a little screw that holds the needle they can break.

if the spring is too strong and hurts your thumb you can get a weaker spring. they put the bigger one on because of the product saftey commision wanting the thumb to have x amount of pressure on it reducing in a stuck throttle. if you notice it getting harder it is usually the accelerator pump sticking. you can disconnect the accelerator pump and see if it is better. I have had to disconnect the accelerator pump on 250 mile races and finish. you don't lose a whole lot of power.

edelbrock has listened to rider input and changed a few things. like the little clip that the needle valve and floats clip to. they used to break now they changed them. they actually have main jets to change now. but rarely need it. they come with three sizes though as well as 3 needles.

now I could also list problems I have had with stock carbs too.