PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

Ruby Soho
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
We just put new gaskets in my 400ex, and put my engine back together. We turned it on and everything is fine, EXCEPT the head pipe where it starts. it glows red, but not much. only for the first 4in of the pipe. is that normal? i never looked at the head pipe before in the dark.

krt400ex
12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
its red in the dark?? or during the day?

if that is in the dark, then u should be ok...but if u see that during the day, then the machine is overheating. the first thing i would do is try richening up the jetting a little

Jared Coderre
12-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I too saw this recently after an engine over haul. I had 2 theories as to why this happened. One was that because it's right before the major bends in the pipe and the rest of the pipe is cooler it stays in a pocket right there until the rest of the pipe heats up sufficiently. Second guess was theat there was an abundance of oil in the engine's top end and it was staying stuck to the pipe walls and transferring its heat and once it burned off it went away.
I guess I would wonder if those on here owning after market "straighter" pipes see the same.

Ruby Soho
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
its red in the dark?? or during the day?

if that is in the dark, then u should be ok...but if u see that during the day, then the machine is overheating. the first thing i would do is try richening up the jetting a little

just in the dark. you7 can just see the glow. i didnt notce it for awile. it was idling (which BTW, how do you adjust the idle?)

CHEVYZ
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I would richen it up just a tad. Personally, I have never experienced that with my EX before..

krt400ex
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
if u r sitting or ur bike, on the right side.....u will see a large screw head, for a flat head screwdriver. that is the idle adjustment screw.

krt400ex
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
it could also be because the engine is new. when it is new, everything is tighter, so it would create more friction...thus more heat. i know that mine ran hottere when i was breaking it in for the first few hrs, than it does now....so i would give it a few hrs, and see what happens

Ruby Soho
12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
ok thanks krt400ex:)

ryan pierce
12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
can you help with my bearing question?

Ruby Soho
12-02-2006, 06:45 AM
huh?

ImplodedMindZ
12-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by ryan pierce
can you help with my bearing question?
dude quit posting in everyone elses threads about your swingarm bearing removal. Its not even my threads and its gettin irritating. If people can help you they will post in your thread. Try searchin around how people get them out.

krt400ex
12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
dude quit posting in everyone elses threads about your swingarm bearing removal. Its not even my threads and its gettin irritating. If people can help you they will post in your thread. Try searchin around how people get them out.

or try pming GPracer...he may know. he knows most anything