PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good dog?

quads14589
12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
i got a black lab i think she is like 6 or 7 now. she is lik 85 pounds and the best dog we ever had. what do u like about ur dog?

HB416EX
12-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I had a black lab as a kid best dog I ever had.I am getting a chocolate lab when I get a new dog.

gotwarrior
12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Nothing beats a good coon dog!!!! (WALKER)

honda250xrider
12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I have a black lab and it is a one of the best dogs i have ever seen, I think obedience is one of the things that makes a great dog, I hate when dog's are inside the house and do not have any kind of manners such as just barking up a storm at a person coming to the door or a complete stranger that is in your house. I know my g/f's dog is annoying it will sit there and bark up a storm at you even when you have been in the house for awhile. I cannot stand the little mut.
I am big on training, the lab had a training collar since about 4 months old and now she is a great lab! never have to tell her twice to do anything, I have even taught her the names of a few toys that we have.

12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
my dog is 11 and hes Chow and hes the best dog ever, really playful (when he was younger) he dont bit (unless someone is trying to hurt a familly member) Hes about 70 pounds, just a real good dog...and hes a chick magnet

Scro
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
A buddy of mine has a blue healer. I think that has to be one of the smartest and most loving dogs I have ever seen.

Quad18star
12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HB416EX
I had a black lab as a kid best dog I ever had.I am getting a chocolate lab when I get a new dog.

I love my chocolate lab . He's a runt though ... doesn't stand very tall and only weighs about 70 lbs ( small for a chocolate lab) , but he's got to be one of the best dog's I've owned . He's still a pup , will be 1year old next month, but he was SOOOO easy to train , he listens very well to commands and hand signals . Plus is loves to cuddle . He'll lay on the bed with my girlfriend and I and just snuggle up , slowly creep his way closer, until he has his head on the pillow right beside your ear and then he'll sleep .

Just make sure that when you buy one , that he or she has a good background , it makes a world of a difference when training .

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0580.jpg

tp300ex
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
i have a toy fox terrier love her to death had an old lab pit mix and it said my life...copper head was about to bight me and the dog killed it also had a white lab but dont rember him to much:(

quads14589
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
yah my lab was the runt of the litter and she is only like 80 pounds

Kaleigh
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Proper training and lots of love.. i dont like it when all people do is yell at the dog.. they dont learn by yelling.. they only get scared..

My Pitbull is gona go to school in this comming year.. here's the link to the site.. the trainer is TOP NOTCH and he's a very nice guy.. not many places have a guarentee.. he says if your dog doesnt learn anything in the hour session.. then the session is free.. NOW YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THAT...

and he specializes in aggressive dogs..

http://www.21stcenturyk9.com :macho

redryder300
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
What makes a good dog? The owner!

Dogs are like kids - you get out of them what you put into them.

atvRiDa400ex
12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
some dogs have "kill" in their blood but they only kill if threatened...

like by a retarded kid or owner!:o

ronny
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
yeah i love my choclate lab too she is a runt and 5 years old...she is one smart dog. i have to say the labs are some of the best dogs.

vpofthedrc
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Gotta be a BOXER!

TANNER250r
12-01-2006, 07:03 PM
i have a 4 year old pit bull they have to be the best dog they look
nice love to be around people and are good watch dogs

wilkin250r
12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Only had one lab. Hated that dam dog, stupidest dog I've ever known. Completely untrainable, and I heard it's not uncommon.

True, some people have great luck with labs. But I've also heard a lot of bad things, such phrases like "Gotta beat the puppy out of them", and also a Labrador Rescue Society that takes old labs that people buy and hate (because they're stupid) and find new homes.

I'll never own another one.

armoks
12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
WOW..My lab is actually pretty smart, and easy to train. I can tell him what I want him to go get(frisbee, ball, or bone) and he will go right for the one I ask for. Most of the dogs at work are Labs because they are the easiest to train for bomb detection. The only problem with a lab is the attention you HAVE to give them but I treat my Tar as he is my kid and he's been the best dog I ever had!!

tar
12-02-2006, 05:11 PM
My favorite dog so far has been a Great Paraniese(SP?) She is very protective of our family and her food. She is smart and easy to train too. We have had a lot of dogs but she is my favorite so far.

procircuit406ex
12-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by gotwarrior
Nothing beats a good coon dog!!!! (WALKER)

Couldn't have been said better!

FourFiftyFour
12-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I see most people have jumped on the bandwagon and just get Labs....I wont get a Lab just because almost everyone else has one.

I recently bought a Sheltie puppy..he is only 3 months old (turned yesterday) and he already sits and lays down on command (he learned both within 5 min no joke)...we have him already getting ready for agility training..hes walking on "mini" dog walk planks already off leash. I have trained several dogs over the past few years and I have never seen a dog learn so quickly. It is amazing.

Kickstarts-suck
12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
well im in the market for a new pit bull since mine died :(

i want this one

F-16Guy
12-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't get a damned Beagle :cuss:
Mine only listens if you have a piece of steak in your hand.

lsittingbull
12-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Scro
A buddy of mine has a blue healer. I think that has to be one of the smartest and most loving dogs I have ever seen.

Yea i breed both the blue and red healers. There smart dogs,, but oh boy, when they want to be stubborn...Man oh man... Great with kids and great guard/yard dogs.

ATC250rChick
12-04-2006, 07:06 AM
We have a Rottweiler. She is almost 12 years old. We took her to training school as soon as we got her, and she is the best dog I have ever owned. Rotts get a bad name, but I believe training is key with any dog. You have too work with them on a daily basis. Some people get an animal, spend money on training and then get rid of the animal because THEY didn't spend the time with it.
Our Rott is very loyal and has never showed any signs of aggression. My next dog will be another Rottweiler.

Family Guy
12-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Red Heeler, smartest dog I have owned. Absolute great pet. We also have a Border Collie and she is great too. Good dogs come from good homes.

trick450r
12-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by ATC250rChick
We have a Rottweiler. She is almost 12 years old. We took her to training school as soon as we got her, and she is the best dog I have ever owned. Rotts get a bad name, but I believe training is key with any dog. You have too work with them on a daily basis. Some people get an animal, spend money on training and then get rid of the animal because THEY didn't spend the time with it.
Our Rott is very loyal and has never showed any signs of aggression. My next dog will be another Rottweiler.

i have a rott, lab mix...hes got a long way to go but he is getting better my the day...

12-04-2006, 07:35 AM
I eating hotdogs.:chinese: