PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust z400 valves PLZ

07z400
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I need help i probally got 15-20 hours on my 2007 z 400. I hear alittle bi of noise in the motor plus i think its about time to adjust the valves.... Can ne 1 help me i have never did this b4 :confused: . I need step by step directions or can sum 1 send me a link on how to do it ( if there is 1). Is there ne thing special that i need ( tools, material, parts) to do this adjustment? or is it just tighting something or......

Well thank you all and ne help is appreciated:confused:

FasstMidnightZ
12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
If your really unsure about doing a Valves you should just take it to your local dealer and they will do it for you. ;)

07z400
12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
well i am preety sure i can do it i just need to no how and do i need ne special tools? or do i need to order ne thing to adjust them... ne help out there? i am the type of person that dont like paying money for something not so difficult , when i can just learn how to do it prolly step by step directions and never pay 4 it.
well let me know if ne 1 got help they can share with me
Thanks

indyZrider
12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
you need a shim kit from hotcams, a set of feeler gauges and a manual will probably help you alot to. you have to take off the valve cover then the cam chain tensioner the cam journals and then take out the cams. the shims sit under the tappets on top of the valves. the manual will tell you what shim size you need to put in there according to what kind of clearance you have. however i doubt you need to adjust them yet. ive had mine for two years and mine still doesnt need adjusting. its a good idea to get the first service done at the dealer though for warranty purposes. but its up to you. the shim kit is like 70 bucks and the feelers are like15-20 for a good set. you need to set the motor to tdc before you do any of this though. are you a central member also?

suzukiray
12-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Before you do anything you might regret go to your local dealer & order a FACTORY Suzuki shop manual! It will help answer just about ANY question you could have & it WILL help you keep from making EXPENSIVE mistakes! Ray.

Villageidiott23
12-04-2006, 06:30 AM
i agree with indy. i checked mine after break in. and from the factory mine were inspect. unless youve done some major motor work, and are done breaking it in the valves should be fine....

07z400
12-04-2006, 12:42 PM
well i hear lil sound from i think the top end of the engine.. witch i read sum where its prolly my valves needing adjustments. I whouldt no what else it is. What are other things that can cause this noise in my engine its not to bad but dont want it to get worse if its a problem ( 4 all i no mayb there is always a noise from the engine ) . its kinda like a clicking noise

thank
you

Villageidiott23
12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
sounds to me like it could be the cam chain. but dont mistake the noise for something bad. duel over head cams do make a slight noise. to be sure id let the shop check it or a friend that knows cams......

07z400
12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
So the noise may just be a normal sound? well i am proly just going to take it to the shop sum time soon well thank you again

Villageidiott23
12-06-2006, 06:33 AM
it could be. but ur right on. id def take it to the shop. your cam chain could be in need of replacement if the noise is excessive. but comparitivly. start a quad with thats not duel overhead and listen to it. youll be able to tell the difference. even uni cams make some noise.

firemanatv
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
an 07 z400 should be under warrenty take back to dealer. if you don't have theshim kits and tools and know how it will be cheeper to take it to the dealer instead of tryng it your self valve adjustment and cam timing not done right could cost you a lot in the long run.