PDA

View Full Version : Baja 500 TRX Set up needed

SwainRacing
11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
We are putting a 2 man team together to race the BAJA 500 in 2007. We will be running a Honda TRX450. How do you dessert racers set up you quads? I will be calling for a rule book tomorrow.

This is what I am thinking for set up:
Sparks Pipe
Stock engine with HRC kit
+3+1 A-arms ( I am not sure how wide you are allowed to run)
Wider axle
+2 stem with Flexx bars, ODI Grips
Steering stablizer (Elka, WER, Presison)
Hiper Beadlocks
Maxxis Razor2's 22" rears and 23" fronts
Tire Balls
Elka Elite Shocks
Gearing 14 front and stock rear
CYCRA Hand guards
IMS nerfs, pegs, heel guards, tank (or bigger tank)
QuadTech seat
Trail Tech HIDs
ProArmor or PRM Bumper/Grab bar, Skids
This is all I can think of right now. I know I am missing some things.

Please list how you set up your ATVs for this type of racing. If you could PM or email me a phone number so I could talk to you too would be great!
Thank you for your time and help!

ThumPIN_450R
11-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I would bump that 14 tooth sprocket to a 15 and maybe go a few teeth down in the rear to gear it higher. That's a long race at high speed and the last thing you're probably gonna want is to have that motor wound to the nuts for 500 miles because it's not gonna last. Get spare clutch plates and sprockets and zip tie them on the bike some where and pack the tools to change them with in a back pack of some sort for track side repairs. Pretty much prepare for anything possible or impossible. I've never raced it but I have heard stories and any thing that can happen more than likely will.

D Bergstrom
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Your list covered just about everything. Everything you listed is pretty much the same type of parts I have on my 450R. I did put a 11.5:1 piston and some minor headwork for engine mods, but that is just because my teammate and I are a couple of fat guys. Just remember spares for everything you can think of. You really need spare tires,air filters, sprockets, chain, etc. I have a six-pack rack that I use and put a tool bag in. In it I have tools, brake and clutch levers, master links, spark plugs, duct tape, zip ties, and a bunch of misc. nuts and bolts.

You will be fine with the +3 arms, I have heard that Score has a width limit, but never looked in the rule book. (I heard that it was 52", but again, not positive.)

As far as gearing, I run 14/38 (stock for a 2004 450R) This has worked pretty well . I have never raced Baja, but you might want to take a couple more teeth of the rear. I would not go to high, as the 22" tires will also affect your gearing, plus they are quite a bit heavier then stock tires. When my motor had just a HRC kit and exhaust, it would have a hard time pulling sand washes, just did not have enough motor. Just make sure you do not "overgear" the quad.

I race in the Best in the Desert series, so most of our races our loop races, not point to point. If I was running Baja I would probably put a few more parts on the quad. (tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints, cables, etc. Whatever I could fit.) If you can afford it, helemt radios are really nice. For Vegas to Reno this year both my teammate and I bought helemt radios and radios for the chase trucks so we have communications. (They do not work everywhere, but they are pretty nice.) Again, not required but nice to have.

Good luck next year, I would love to go and race Baja on my quad, just not sure if it will ever happen. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Doug

SwainRacing
12-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Doug, what kind of radios do you guys use? I was thinking the same thing about the six pack rack, I used to have one on my Predator. Would make a good place for a little tool kit and spare parts.

dirteater74
12-01-2006, 05:47 AM
here is a picture that i took at a past sand show in costa mesa, ca
this bike had just raced in one of the races in baja. you can see what he has done to his bike and the spare parts he has tie-wrapped to his frame. hope this helps a little.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/dirteater75/alpinestartech10014.jpg

gbcap
12-01-2006, 06:21 AM
zip tie a clutch cable next to your current one and do the same for a throttle cable so you don't have to thread it down thru the stuff to get it hooked up.

extra sprockets. extra chains. master links.

i have a quadtech tall seat if you want to buy one. i liked it for xc but it doesn't let me get low enough in the crazy off camber stuff i race in. it would be perfect for that kinda race. it looks brand new, maybe 10 rides/races on it and a lil practice time.

D Bergstrom
12-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by SwainRacing
Doug, what kind of radios do you guys use? I was thinking the same thing about the six pack rack, I used to have one on my Predator. Would make a good place for a little tool kit and spare parts.

I bought our radios from here:

www.helmetkits.com

They will get you setup.

Doug

SwainRacing
12-01-2006, 07:50 AM
dirteater74 looks like he had a custom oil cooler on there. Good idea seeing that the new ones dont have a oil cooler. Thanks

trick250r
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
large capacity gas tank with a quick fill. i do believe IMS makes one. gotta buyt the gas can too tho...i think. possibly a larger radiator if you want to. not necessary but it def. wouldnt hurt.

gbcap
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
tried to send you a pm but it didn't work. your box is full.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/gbcap/parts%20for%20sale/DSC_6853.jpg

johng
12-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I would not go +1 forward, just +3 out, SCORE limit is 50", but they dont check it unless someone protest, You probably dont need nerfbars either, Make sure you use Honda pit support, well worth the $

SwainRacing
12-06-2006, 07:05 AM
John how do I contact Honda about their pit service for the Baja? I was also looking in to the Mag 7 Pit Services.

GB I only have 2 PMs in my box. I have been having trouble with it. I guess I am going to have atvriders look at it and fix it. Thanks.

rlplive
12-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by johng
I would not go +1 forward, just +3 out, SCORE limit is 50", but they dont check it unless someone protest, You probably dont need nerfbars either, Make sure you use Honda pit support, well worth the $
I'm no expert but I would want to have nerf bars. I know all kinds of crazy stuff happens down there at Baja. What happens if you hit the silt wide open and ur foot slips off the peg?