PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help needed

wvspeedfreak
11-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I just put a new Koso rear clutch assembly and a new front variator assembly in the Kasea because the old ones were worn.Now I have some problems.The quad won't even spin the tires off the line and it acts like it revs out too early if you open it up on a straightaway.Here is what is in it right now:Koso rear clutch assembly with a 1500 torsion spring and red shoe springs/aftermarket front variator assembly with 4.5 gram rollers.

Before it had a white torsion spring(I believe that is the lightest one),red shoe springs/Malossi front variator with 6 gram rollers.I was advised to go with the other torsion spring and lighter rollers for the new set up but so far it is not good at all.

I did switch the rollers back to the 6 gram ones and it made little to no noticable difference so I'm thinking it is something with the new rear cluch assembly but what??Torsion spring maybe?Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!!

Edit: Here are the engine mods if that will help:
Kasea Skyhawk with 70cc Airsal top end
Stuffer crank
Koso intake and reeds
WRH pipe
20mm carb with Uni
Malossi ignition
18/28 gearing

markvette
11-30-2006, 05:36 PM
take a sharpie marker and mark both inside halves of the variater and clutch pulley. make lines up and down them. ride the quad pull the cover and see how much of the marker is left on. this will tell you how far the belt is going up and down.

Mark

wvspeedfreak
12-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Thanks Mark.I'll try that and see what is happening.Let me ask this though.How hard should it be to squeeze the rear clutch pulley apart to put the belt down in the groove?I can compress his old clutch fairly easily but this new one it took everything I had to just move it.I had to have someone take a large screwdriver and pry while I squeezed it back and we still were just barely able to get the belt in just enough.

LT80
12-01-2006, 07:25 AM
That sounds like way to much tension.

kgmtech
12-01-2006, 07:48 AM
If I am not mistaken that torsion spring you are talking about is what controls at what rpm the back pulley opens and lets the belt drop down for your top end speed, more tension on this spring should not affect your bottom end. Wonder if possibly that back pulley got stuck opened up,that would kill your bottom end.

wvspeedfreak
12-01-2006, 10:22 AM
It acts to me like the spring is too stiff to let the belt drop down in the rear pulley to give it it's top end speed.The fact that I'm having a low end issue as well is what confuses me.I had put the old variator back on the front and still had the same problem so I am certain it is a rear clutch problem of some sort.
Right now the old clutch and variator are back on and it is fine.The difference in the torsion spring pressure on the new and old clutch is very different.Maybe I will just put the white torsion spring in the new clutch assembly and see what happens :ermm:

wvspeedfreak
12-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Also would it be possible that this little 70 just doesn't make enough power to overcome the stiffer rear spring?I mean it is just an "out of the box" Airsal kit with no porting or cylinder head mods.I don't know............just a thought.

kgmtech
12-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I would do what you sad and try your old torsion spring with the new clutch and see what is the result. But on the 70 not making enough power to over power the stiffer spring I really ain't sure I thought it compressed from rpms not necessarally power,but I'm not for sure on that.

foleyit
12-01-2006, 07:17 PM
In your original posts. You mentioned that the mini was revving out too quick and not being able to spin the tires. Is this still the case?
I recently helped a friend with the same thing. The place where he bought the clutch kit gave him 5 gram rollers and it did the same thing. I ended up putting 12 gram rollers when it was all said and done.

If yes, do you have a roller weight kit to do some trial and error? you may want to try bumping up the roller weights on the front variator. What is your total roller weight now?

wvspeedfreak
12-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
In your original posts. You mentioned that the mini was revving out too quick and not being able to spin the tires. Is this still the case?
I recently helped a friend with the same thing. The place where he bought the clutch kit gave him 5 gram rollers and it did the same thing. I ended up putting 12 gram rollers when it was all said and done.

If yes, do you have a roller weight kit to do some trial and error? you may want to try bumping up the roller weights on the front variator. What is your total roller weight now?
Yes,that is still the case.Right now all I have is the original 6 gram rollers and the new 4.5 gram rollers.
I got your pm and sent you one back.

wvspeedfreak
12-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Switched out the torsion spring and that fixed it.

wrhracing
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Sorry but I just got to read your post. The 1500 Rpm Spring is to stiff, like you said. It is rated at about 135LBS. The white spring is rated for about 68 lbs.
What happened to the clutch shoe springs that came on the KOSO clutch? You may need to put those black ones back in so you don't run past any power before engagement.

wvspeedfreak
12-06-2006, 03:21 PM
WRH...I left the clutch shoe springs alone on the KOSO.It has the ones that originally came in it.I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said red ones.That is what was in the old clutch.Thanks for replying.