QuadJunkies
11-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Can someone explain to me what the heck a floating rib is?:confused:

My husband may have one :ermm:

250R-Dee
11-30-2006, 02:43 AM
From medicine.net:

Definition of Floating rib

Floating rib: One of the last two ribs. A rib is said to be "floating" if it does not attach to the sternum (the breast bone) or to another rib.

There are usually 12 pairs of ribs in all. Each pair of ribs is attached to the building blocks of the spine (the vertebrae) in the back. The 12 pairs of ribs consist of:

True ribs: The first seven ribs attach to the sternum (the breast bone) in the front and are known as true (or sternal) ribs.
False ribs: The lower five ribs do not directly connect to the sternum and are known as false ribs.
The upper three false ribs connect to the costal cartilages of the ribs just above them. The last two false ribs, however, usually have no ventral attachment (no anchor at all in front) and are called floating, fluctuating or vertebral ribs.

trick250r
11-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
From medicine.net:

Definition of Floating rib

Floating rib: One of the last two ribs. A rib is said to be "floating" if it does not attach to the sternum (the breast bone) or to another rib.

There are usually 12 pairs of ribs in all. Each pair of ribs is attached to the building blocks of the spine (the vertebrae) in the back. The 12 pairs of ribs consist of:

True ribs: The first seven ribs attach to the sternum (the breast bone) in the front and are known as true (or sternal) ribs.
False ribs: The lower five ribs do not directly connect to the sternum and are known as false ribs.
The upper three false ribs connect to the costal cartilages of the ribs just above them. The last two false ribs, however, usually have no ventral attachment (no anchor at all in front) and are called floating, fluctuating or vertebral ribs.

beat me to it... i hardly ever get to use what i learned in sports med. lol

mxdave28
11-30-2006, 08:09 AM
does he have a "floating rib" which is normal and everybody has at least 1 per side as explained above OR....

does he have a "Flail Rib" which a a rib that is fractured in 2 places creating a "dent" in your rib cage area when u breathe

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/DepChief29/Misc%20Pics/photo0348.jpg

QuadJunkies
11-30-2006, 11:46 AM
He has been having some chest pains and a friend who is a retured Dr. kinda felt around and asked all his symtoms,he said it sounded like a Floating rib.
but his pain is in his sternum not the lower ribs. Ive heard there was surgery you could have done to fix it, but its plainful,kinda like Glueing your ribs together but sometimes a floater can cause organ damage

is someone blowing smoke up my pipe on this ?:confused: :o

I think he should quit being so darn STUBBORN and go make sure its not his HEART!:grr:
He has broken 6 ribs in 4 years ,one of which still pops in his sternum when he coughs and sneezes:scary:

The Dr. referred to it ias Floating rib,but maybe its better said as flail rib. It does hurt when he breathes

derekhonda
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
If he had broken a rib he wouldn't be moving, maybe cracked on but definately not broken if he is still up and moving

JOEX
11-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Are they kinda like spareribs?:p

mxdave28
11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

Only with BBQ Sauce ;) :D

QuadJunkies
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
If he had broken a rib he wouldn't be moving, maybe cracked on but definately not broken if he is still up and moving
actually He has broke a rib in half ,more than one. You can move, just not too fast. :p

I wanted him suffer when he broke three, he had a cold the week aterand I thought he was gonna wet himself:o :( lol

Took about a month to get to where it was managable,but still bothers him to this day.

QuadJunkies
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
If there is some spare in there somewhere, he could use a few!:p

jrspawn
11-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Sure its not a separated rib? At least thats my doctors here called it. Ive been dealing with this problem for over a year now. Something to do with a fracture/broken rib and cartilage issues also? The problem started from one of my wrecks, then has been reoccuring ever since. From what they told me the only cure is bassically do nothing to agitate it, thats easy to say:rolleyes: But it does hurt a good bit, espicially when breathing, its just a very wierd feeling.

Justin

QuadJunkies
11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
No, not sure really. Jut a suggestion the Dr told him,but he didnt go have a full exam.

I guess he wouldhave to find a way to deal with it then ,cause beingmobile all the time would be torture and rather depressing :(

You would think in this day and age there would be something to fix stuff like this .:confused:

jrspawn
12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
It really sounds like thats what it is. The recomend over a months time to let it try to heal, which they inform you to pretty much not move:eek2: which i just couldnt deal with. But whenever i take a deep breath, you can feel the ribs actually pop, its another wierd feeling. And certain movements i cant do without very sharp pain. I was told that the ribs do heal thereself in certain circumstances, but from what i have seen, my problem is just something ill have to deal with.

Justin

QuadJunkies
12-01-2006, 12:27 AM
HEs had ribs he injured (in sternum are) that are over 4 years old he still has thatPOPPING thing going on.
that sucks :(

SGA
12-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
HEs had ribs he injured (in sternum area) that are over 4 years old he still has thatPOPPING thing going on.
that sucks :(

I have the popping thing going on in my sternum also for the last 8 years or so. I slipped and tumbled down in a ditch. It hurt bad for a month or so and less over time. The DR said it would take 9 months to heal but he said it will prob never heal back tight because of where it cracked has alot of movement. My sternum pops sometimes when I twist. Sometimes I can feel its out of place like a dull ache. I twist some and breathe in, it pops back in place
and im good to go.

HtFoxChick
12-01-2006, 08:19 AM
The cartilege around the lower ribs is what holds the ribs in place. He may have tore some of this. Derek had this as a result from wrestling in HS. Being sqeezed around the waste alot. Your husband can try wraping his ribs just to keep himself more comfortable. Just takes time, probably afew months to heal. It does hurt, so Advil works. ( My .02 worth.)

QuadJunkies
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
HtFoxChick-he had to go extreme and took Norco to take the pain away-and it worked for a few hours anyhow. lol

thanks everyone for the imput ;)