PDA

View Full Version : Reduce Fatigue Clutch and Throttle Cable Lube All Bikes & Old TRX250R's

395Rider
11-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I have an 86 Honda TRX250R with stock cables and suspension and during the 2006 Elsinore Grand Prix wore out my arms to the point I couldn’t open a water bottle at the end of the race.

The throttle cable was 20 years old and I decided to just replace it for 16 bucks. Before installing it, I read the Clymer book for my bike. It recommends getting cable lube and a cable lube tool or making a cone at the end of the cable and pouring 10/30 oil into the line.

The cable lube and tool can come together in a package for 18 bucks. It allows you to spray directly into the line.

Or you can do what I did

Disconnect the Clutch Lever and make a cone at the opening of the cable. Disconnect the cable at the other end from the clutch pull. Make a small cone with thick paper (telephone book cover) at the end of the cable and wrap with tape (electrical tape works great) Pour a small amount of 10/30 oil and pull and push the cable in and out until the oil start dripping out of the other end (make sure the rubber boot at the other end is not preventing air from flowing into the line).

Some riders prefer to use WD40 which is another great lubricant and will also prevent dirt build up. Which ever you feel comfy with. This should be done after a race or a lot of riding.

Throttle Housing:

I opened it up and took it apart. (You will need to when lubing the throttle cable) Put some grease all the moving parts that made contact with metal (spring, plastic area where the cable rides, and washer retaining the assembly above plastic). With the thumb lever removed, I put grease in the shaft with a q Tip and around the lever insert by hand (okay I dipped it into the grease canister). The thumb throttle feels smoother than the ones on new bikes! And its 20 years old!

Gas Throttle Cable:

To save 35 bucks, I lubed it instead of buying it using the oil cone method and it made it even harder to push. After some reading here at EXRiders, I found out that it may be due to dirt build up.

Note: Remove you carburator and when working the cable, the needle will be hitting against anything it can find. Put a rag so that the tip of the needle doesnt get beat up.

I got some Carb Cleaner, sprayed it into the line, and worked the oil and dirt out by pushing and pulling the line in and out. Keep in mind that the Carb Cleaner will beat up the plastic housing around the cable and may cause chaffing. I then used WD40 to lube it and see the difference in resistance. They both now feel the same! (The throttle cable is 20 years old, but does not have a rubber sleeve around the cable like the clutch cable). You do not need to make a cone for the throttle cable because it already has a small metal piece that will retain a small amount of spray. If you have the nozzle for you spary bottle, go for brokes and spray it hard into the cable and work the line.

I hope this info is helpful and we will see how these method works out during the Adelanto Grand Prix in 2007. See you at races!

If anyone would like to correct me or give me better advise, just reply. I look forward to learning more.

Yes, I do know my 20 year old shocks may have played a role in my fatigue.

www.myspace.com/395rider

395Rider
12-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Correction! Dont use Carb Cleaner to clean out the Thottle Cable Line! I'm not sure if this was the cause or the kink in the line, but the metal line is coming apart! Now the thumb throttle sticks. If your cable is making any scratching sounds inside the plastic line, replace it. It will make the thumb throttle stick!