PDA

View Full Version : wheres all the die hard 2-stoke fans

2strokes4ever
11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Just wanted to find out how many die hard 2 stroke guys are out there still,seems these days all i hear is four poke this four poke that.Yeh....there reliable...yeh..they got great....torque.But when they blow it cost a grand to fix em gotta buy a new camchain,piston,valves,four stroke parts will leave ur wallet empty,and if it aint from the parts,its all that oil u gotta buy,
But when a 2 stroke blows slap a new piston in and get a bore job,100 bucks and you back in action,

Never owned a four stroke never will..........
2 strokes are like chainsaws vibrating like hell and terring sh@* up!!!!!!!!!!!

250r4life
11-29-2006, 09:35 PM
normal price for a piston and gaskets 100
average cost for wrist pin bearing $12
a decent bore job $60

correcting erroneus post information... priceless...

i do all my own work, and for some reason my rebuilds always come out to be considerably more than that... i guess i just build stuff the right way...

C-LEIGH RACING
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
:D :D :D :D :D Where did all the 2 stroke people go ??? well some are still here, those that realy know whats going on with the ATV market today, & those others we dont see anymore, well they a chasing that big money sponcership in the sky that they probably wont ever get but thinking they might just because they bought that 4 stroke,,,, its going to be sad when reality sets in though.
Neil

250r4life
11-29-2006, 11:33 PM
i dont want to come across as anti two stroke at all, because i am definately not and in fact am very pro two stroke... i am simply cant take ignorant posts...

i am also not anti 4 stroke. i prefer to ride my R over anything, and have the most fun doing so... however, these new 4 strokes do have to be respected- they are nice bikes. although i would prefer to ride my R, i am very impressed with how fast my YFZ is without really having done anything to it.

Aceman
11-30-2006, 06:35 AM
I totally agree with you 250r4life.;)

250r4life
11-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I totally agree with you 250r4life.;)

thanx... i just dont have any patience for blatent ignorance...

Eddiesanders250
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
the die hard two stroke fans are probably the most knowledgable about an atv....... take some people on this site for example, if you have questions they will get answered by those people.

esr250r86
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I am a big 250r fan. I personally own 3 250r's and I love them. I also own a new trx450r. My 250r's ride just as good except the powers different. My 250 keeps up with all the 4 pokes at the track and I even smoke most of them. My friends always make fun of me for riding a 2 stroke but I dont really care. 250R's are badd!:D

Quadboy14
11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I had a 4stroke once.... worst month of my life!

250r4life
11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy14
I had a 4stroke once.... worst month of my life!

ha ha ha... :D

250Renvy
11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Up until 2 years ago, I had never owned a fourstroke. I've had numerous quads and dirtbikes but they've always been 2-stroke. For some reason I just don't have as much fun on the 4-strokes plus I find them really hard to work on. They are so crammed in their frames and so much to take off to get into them.

I'll wait until the word is out but I'll likely get a KFX in the future because it really suits my riding style. But I know I'll still have more fun on the 250R.

Quadboy14
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
yeah, I have a 95' blaster and it sure aint gonna hold a candle to you guys's Rs, but I can blow the motor, pull it back to the shop rebuild the top end in an hour (for like 120$ without reeds), and be back in buissiness that evening. Try THAT with your 4-stroke! LOL (I don't recomend breaking a motor in, in an afternoon, but hey I'm just slammin 4-strokes right?):D

11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
im a die hard 2 stroke guy...the only 4 stroke on my property is a cars and trucks..

iamjasyn
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
thanx... i just dont have any patience for blatent ignorance...

The difference in error between his calculations and yours is not as great as the difference between replacing a blown 2stroke top end and a blown 4stroke top end. I think he was just trying to make a point. I don't think he was trying to pass bogus information or make you feel like you made a bad decision buying your YFZ. Here are some numbers from LA sleeve though that should be as about as objective as any I figure. http://www.all250r.com/UsefulContent/2strokeVs4strokeMaint.pdf

Me personally, I do hate 450's... Die hard 2stroke fan here. In fact, for as long as 2strokes have been in small racing machines it seems really odd to me that this discussion even exists. Like I fell asleep 3 years ago and woke up in the twilight zone. The only problem I have with 4stroke fans is not that their enjoying these broad torque, expensive machines, but that they think 2strokes are outdated. 2strokes are no more outdated than 4stroke motors are a new technology. It's hilarous. 2strokes run everything from chainsaws to massive aircraft carriers. Why? Because of their superior power to weight and complexity ratio. Ignorance can be bliss (and arrogant) and for manufacturers forced to not sell carbureted 2strokes, it's also a great source of income. That's not an XR motor they're riding - or maybe its just that reliable 4strokes are "outdated".

reconman
11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy14
I had a 4stroke once.... worst month of my life! DANG!, you must got one sweeeeet life!!! :devil:

2strokes4ever
11-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Glad to see there are some die hards left out there like myself, I just can't seem to find anything thats hits my addrenallin more than the feel of a souped u 2 stroke.

) It aint fast without mixed gas):devil: :devil: :devil: :D

250r4life
11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by iamjasyn
The difference in error between his calculations and yours is not as great as the difference between replacing a blown 2stroke top end and a blown 4stroke top end. I think he was just trying to make a point. I don't think he was trying to pass bogus information or make you feel like you made a bad decision buying your YFZ.

my posts were partially in response to posts made in another posts... check out 450 vs 250r- who would win...

rebelbanshee
11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
die hard two stroker here. I love the cheap, easy, lightweight power. burn it up and rebuild it all in the same day, fun to tune...

deathman53
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I have 2 250r's(one atc and one trx) and plan on building one for the woods. I have 4 strokes also. I like how much easier 2 strokes are to work on and cheaper. the 4 strokes do have the advantage of torque coming out of the corners. I am split between the two. I will be racing trikes next year, 4 stroke 200 class and open 2 stroke. Its real hard for me to judge what I like better. I can tell you, I think the 250r sits better and STILL handles better than any of yamaha/honda/susuki/kawaskit's offerings. I like how with a 2 stroke, if you stall it or flood it, kick it with the throttle wide open and it usually starts everytime, go and try that with a 4 stroke!!!!!!!!!

matt250r21
11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm a die hard 2 stroker. Can't stand all the 4 strokes. Everyone seems to forget the 250R made this sport.

banshee84
11-30-2006, 10:18 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/broncogurl351/Hollister%20Hills/100_2733.jpg

norcalduner
11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Hmm, let me see .....

4 stroke means torquey, linear, smooth, sophisticated, somewhat boring and uneventful, popular, environmentally friendly, common

2 stroke equals noisy, smelly, unpredictable, exciting, wild and rebellious, light and powerful, special, rare, borderline insane and out of control

Different strokes for different folks ..... But I prefer the latter:D

hontrx265r
12-01-2006, 12:38 AM
"Up until 2 years ago, I had never owned a fourstroke. I've had numerous quads and dirtbikes but they've always been 2-stroke. For some reason I just don't have as much fun on the 4-strokes plus I find them really hard to work on. They are so crammed in their frames and so much to take off to get into them."

Two strokes are cheap but four stokes are not hard to work on or crammed you just need a 250r based bike Hybrid all the way!!!

I sold my R, built a hybrid, sold my hybrid, bought another R, then traded it for my same hybrid back. I guess It's personal preference, but my R based hybrid is the only thing for me and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

fireburns99
12-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
"Up until 2 years ago, I had never owned a fourstroke. I've had numerous quads and dirtbikes but they've always been 2-stroke. For some reason I just don't have as much fun on the 4-strokes plus I find them really hard to work on. They are so crammed in their frames and so much to take off to get into them."

Two strokes are cheap but four stokes are not hard to work on or crammed you just need a 250r based bike Hybrid all the way!!!

I sold my R, built a hybrid, sold my hybrid, bought another R, then traded it for my same hybrid back. I guess It's personal preference, but my R based hybrid is the only thing for me and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.
I love your hybrid... I think thats the only way i would ever ride a 4-stroke...

12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
id much rather have a 330r then a 450 anyday!

iamjasyn
12-01-2006, 03:07 PM

No offense, friend but like this man said: "4 stroke means torquey, linear, smooth, sophisticated, somewhat boring and uneventful, popular, environmentally friendly, common

2 stroke equals noisy, smelly, unpredictable, exciting, wild and rebellious, light and powerful, special, rare, borderline insane and out of control

Different strokes for different folks ..... But I prefer the latter"

So to me, that hybrid is like putting Pep Boys spinner hub caps on a BMW. :)

iamjasyn
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by banshee84
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/broncogurl351/Hollister%20Hills/100_2733.jpg

Well said. Banshee's flat rip. Oh, there's no rev limiter on that ripper? Man, how do you live without one of those??? :blah:

12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
banshee 84, i see that your from Cali and you mention the green sticker in your sig, wat are the deal with those green stickers? ive heard so many rumors but i wanna hear it from someone that acctually has one...thanks!

fireburns99
12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
banshee 84, i see that your from Cali and you mention the green sticker in your sig, wat are the deal with those green stickers? ive heard so many rumors but i wanna hear it from someone that acctually has one...thanks!

The green stickers mean that you can ride year round on OHV land. The newer 2-strokes have red stickers, and can ride only seasonally. My R has a green sticker as well.

Quoting the California parks page:

The Green Sticker Or Red Sticker: If you are going to operate a motorized vehicle off-road only, you must have either a Green Sticker or a Red Sticker that has been issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. The Green Sticker allows vehicles to operate on public land all year. The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number, then it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker. The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker except that these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year. To find out when you can operate your vehicle, call the specific riding area that you want to visit or you can look it up on the CARB website at http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm.

mx3mom
12-01-2006, 06:04 PM
We still have 2 265R's and a ATC 250R. Personally, I prefer working on the 2-stroke 10 to 1 over a 4-stroke. From watching my son race both types, I think the 250R handles much better than the 4-strokes. Last year he dominated over the 4-strokes in the indoor racing, but outdoors was not as easy, especially at Glen Helen. He has since then parked the R's to race the 4-strokes, I guess chasing that dream of being one of the lucky few that gets "picked up". He is doing well on the 4-strokes but the 2-stroke is what got him up where he needed to be, not to mention helping build up the confidence. The first 4-stroke he had was a yfz, never suited his riding still. This year he had a 450R, much better suited. Next year he will be riding a LTR-450, hoping that it fits even better! I still consider the 250R the best race bike ever built. So don't fret, there are still some of us die hard 250R fans still here.

csr250r
12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
i never owned a 4 stroke before. rode most of the top ones. i dont like their powerband. 2strokes are more fun to ride.

fast250r
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM
All I have ever owned is 250r's. I will be buying my fourth one in Feb. I love them things. The only four stroke I will and have owned is a 4x4..

Dave83
12-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I wish everyone would get rid of their 2 strokes and go to the 4 strokes.More 250R parts for me then:D It kills me to hear the words reliability and 450 in the same sentence.Tho,the throttle response is impressive over the old XR based motors,they still dont exhilerate me when I hit the throttle.And talk about loud,those things with a Yosi or Sparks or etc, drown out my big bore R.Most people who defend 4 strokes have brand new ones that they havent had to work on yetNothing like making payments on something that needs a thousand $ top end.I figure Honda took a beating on warranty claims on the 450R.They still offering that?

chris46250r
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Only time will tell, but I will bet lots of money that a twenty year old TRX 450R will not be as desireable as a 88' 250R is. I've got two 88' 250R's and I will never sell them.One of them has been completely redone and just sets there in the garage and the other I ride every chance I get. It cracks me up when people ask me whats so special about a 88 model fourwheeler. The best way I have come up with to explain it is that a 88 250R is to me what a 69 camaro is to them. They kinda understand then.

flying dutchman
12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
i personaly have never owned a 4stroke

i did own:

1987 suzuki rm80
1982 honda cr125
1987 kawasaki kxt250 tecate 3
2001 TM mx125
1989 suzuki lt500r quadzilla

and now i own a 1988 honda trx250r with an 86 motor

im fermiliar with the questions you guys get.
oftenly people laugh at me when i say i have machines from back in the 80's

the only explination i can give them is that i like machines that whernt down tuned.
the sound of the 2stroke is like nothing else its unique
it doesnt sound like a bad fart as do 4pokes

and the design of the 80's is just so much beter.
since yamaha brought the raptor it seems like every quad on the market has the raptor look.

but our group of old school riders still has its own style.
and its like magic everytime i get a smile on my face when i smoke some cocky *** punk on the yfz450 that he got from his dad

cheers, dutchman

hontrx265r
12-02-2006, 03:17 PM
"2 stroke equals noisy, smelly, unpredictable, exciting, wild and rebellious, light and powerful, special, rare, borderline insane and out of control"

I can take care of every one of your special little things you think your two stroke has that my hybrid doesn't

NOISY (Have you ever heard a TC exhaust, I have one of those too) you couldn't hear your two stroke even running over that thing.

SMELLY I run ultimate four, it smells wonderful!

UNPREDICTABLE, Hybrids are far from predictable in more ways then one.

EXCITING, when I beat up 250r's at the drag strip its exciting for the first couple

WILD and REBELLIOUS, There aren't many quads around like I have.
oh and It's super light, its very rare

AND absolutely INSANE and OUT OF COUNTROL, Just ask my tibia that got split on the 95ft double.

hontrx265r
12-02-2006, 03:24 PM
By the ways guys, I'm just trying to fire you up a little bit. I still love the 250R dont get me wrong but it would take a another big bore powervalve laeger bike to get me excited.

banshee84
12-02-2006, 04:47 PM
By the ways guys, I'm just trying to fire you up a little bit. I still love the 250R dont get me wrong but it would take a another big bore powervalve laeger bike to get me excited.

:blah: :blah: :blah: Nice.

ICER88
12-08-2006, 03:21 PM
ok not that i am that old at 24. but ive been riding since age 8. i have owned atc200x,250x,400ex,atc 250r,450r and now tri-z 250,and trx250r . i think a lot of your young riders see four strokes like imports car less hassle(maintance) a few add ons and its race ready. but then you got two strokes like muscle cars takes time, knowlage, money,patience, and end up with a outstanding piece of art. power none to match.
but what do i know.

iamjasyn
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ICER88
ok not that i am that old at 24. but ive been riding since age 8. i have owned atc200x,250x,400ex,atc 250r,450r and now tri-z 250,and trx250r . i think a lot of your young riders see four strokes like imports car less hassle(maintance) a few add ons and its race ready. but then you got two strokes like muscle cars takes time, knowlage, money,patience, and end up with a outstanding piece of art. power none to match.
but what do i know.

No... actually I don't think it has to do with less hassle or maintenance. Maybe that is the perception, but it's a false reality - not with "R" four strokes that are supposed to replace traditional 2stroke applications anyway. That's not an XR motor you're talking about. With a nicasil'd cylinder I can do an entire top end with 12,14mm sockets and a needlenose pliers. If I want it faster, I bolt on pipe, carb and pay for porting - none of which involves moving parts.
Read this if you want some maintenance data actually: http://www.all250r.com/UsefulContent/2strokeVs4strokeMaint.pdf

By the way, 2strokes are not like old, outdated muscle cars either. I realize that's another growing perception though. They are more like legislatively outlawed as registered vehicles. Muscle car style engines are not outlawed or discouraged from being manufactured. 2strokes are not just used in motorcycles. Motor heads who read more than Dirt Wheels know this. If you have deep pockets and like a strong, but relatively mellow rev -> 450. Otherwise the sad joke here is on the misinformed who have been staring too long at their favorite sponsored rider's a** cheeks in DW.

hontrx265r
12-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Honestly I personally don't give a **** fourstrokes definetly cost more but the torque is worth it. Either way I don't care what it is I just want that 250r style chassis because nothing compares except the laegers or walsh narrow frame chassis lobo also. It's all about the handling I love my hybrid because it is an R at heart not a "450" of today. So do me a favor don't judge me. I know what I'm talking about and handling comes way before engine two or fourstrokes.