PDA

View Full Version : Who builds the best engines?

250r rider 88
11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Based on previous experiances who do you guys reccomend i send my motor to be rebuilt to? I was thinking ESR as i will be using one of their top end kits but im open to suggestions. thanks

juanki
11-29-2006, 05:30 PM
c-leigh racing, will tell you in a few weeks, but i think its going to be awsome. he is doing mine to a 69.5 bore.

Kirt13
11-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Teixeria Tech, CT Racing, Patriot Racing

312R1
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
When I raced in the mid 90's all of my engines were done by Duncan...Now that I have another R this engine will be a Duncan also.

-Steve

CHAR250R
11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
When I raced in the mid 90's all of my engines were done by Duncan...Now that I have another R this engine will be a Duncan also.

-Steve

I'll be the first to second that. Fantastic customer servive.

Lynch01ex
11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Ive got a esr 330 race motor love the heak outta it great power. Id also recomend LRD 350pv, that motor will haul

matt250r21
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
You guys don't know till you ride a Sparks motor. Good luck finding one. I have heard real good things about C-Liegh as well.

loboboy
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Curtis Sparks Hands Down period!!!!!!!

blb515
11-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I had my motor done by Neil (c-leigh racing)a few months back and have not had a chance to run it yet, but you cannot beat the customer service with Neil. He is great at asking you questions about your riding style, etc and actually LISTENING to what you have to say.

With other places I have talked to, I get the impression that they are in too big of a hurry while on the phone and it makes me think that they will be the same way with my motor...

blb

86 Quad R
11-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by blb515
I had my motor done by Neil (c-leigh racing) you cannot beat the customer service with Neil. He is great at asking you questions about your riding style, etc and actually LISTENING to what you have to say.

.....and that alone in my book is the most important thing to me. thats why i use a local builder of which i've grown to know. i can sit down and talk face to face about what my needs are and can be confident of what he delivers.

i've spoke with neil over the phone and gotten to know him over the years and wouldnt hesitate to send work his way.

250r4life
11-29-2006, 10:40 PM

-Steve

thats "funny" cuz i would say just the opposite... i love my top end, but i think duncan is horrible for customer service... i think they are a bunch of arrogant pricks...

just my .02

312R1
11-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
thats "funny" cuz i would say just the opposite... i love my top end, but i think duncan is horrible for customer service... i think they are a bunch of arrogant pricks...

just my .02

Thats odd...I thought they were very helpful even before they were a sponser in the 90's...I have ordered a few thing in the past few weeks and I think there still the same...Loren is a really nice guy.:)

Hell he told me that they would sponser me again and I haven't been on the track in ten years..:huh

250r4life
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Thats odd...I thought they were very helpful even before they were a sponser in the 90's...I have ordered a few thing in the past few weeks and I think there still the same...Loren is a really nice guy.:)

Hell he told me that they would sponser me again and I haven't been on the track in ten years..:huh

i dont doubt they were very helpfull back then, before they became really big... and i dont doubt they were helpfull to you recently, but that may have been because of the previous relationship you had with them... or it could not be... i am just saying i have not been impressed or happy with multiple transactions with them.

who knows... some random person could call tomorrow and get great help. i have dealt with them for several years now (since 2002) and they arent a company i would tell me friends "go with duncan- you wont be dissapointed"

312R1
11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i dont doubt they were very helpfull back then, before they became really big... and i dont doubt they were helpfull to you recently, but that may have been because of the previous relationship you had with them... or it could not be... i am just saying i have not been impressed or happy with multiple transactions with them.

who knows... some random person could call tomorrow and get great help. i have dealt with them for several years now (since 2002) and they arent a company i would tell me friends "go with duncan- you wont be dissapointed"

Well that sucks that you feel that way....but me on the other will always promote them and there products....I just wish I could get them to make me a hand made race pipe....They haven't made them in nine years Loren said...:(

C-LEIGH RACING
11-30-2006, 11:14 AM

10 years,, :cool: :cool: :cool: let me think,, & your from P.A.
If you smell sawdust burning, just nevermind you got my thinker working,,PA, PA, PA.
Did you ever race at Raleigh NC.
Neil

atvmxr
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I was going to post a long list of issues I had with Duncan when I first started racing in the early 90's, but I think it better to simply say their customer service sucks and they treat you very rudely. so I switched to LRD ~1995 and couldnt be happier. Except that he sold the company a few years back. I pretty much work on my own stuff anyway.

The Duncan bumper is awesome though, but I bet they quit making it.

CHAR250R
11-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
I'll be the first to second that. Fantastic customer servive.

I'm only talking about 2 strokes...

312R1
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
10 years,, :cool: :cool: :cool: let me think,, & your from P.A.
If you smell sawdust burning, just nevermind you got my thinker working,,PA, PA, PA.
Did you ever race at Raleigh NC.
Neil

When I was racing I lived in N.W. Arkansas. I have only lived in Pa for about eight years or so. I raced way back when Johnny Hale was still riding a JP Racing 80cc..:eek2:

I plan to start racing again in the spring. :D

atvmxr
11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
did you ever race at swan in Tyler, TX?? Or Thunder mountain in Rusk

312R1
11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
did you ever race at swan in Tyler, TX?? Or Thunder mountain in Rusk

Nope...I only made it down to Tx once for the Arenacross series in 91 or 92...Man I feel old.:(

C-LEIGH RACING
12-01-2006, 09:26 AM
When I was racing I lived in N.W. Arkansas. I have only lived in Pa for about eight years or so. I raced way back when Johnny Hale was still riding a JP Racing 80cc..:eek2:

I plan to start racing again in the spring. :D

I cant think of anyone from Ark at the moment. but you say Duncan sponcered you ?.
You been keeping up with the racing scene over the years or just kinda layed back & put it on the back burner.
You remember Hollie Swartzer, girl from Kansas many years ago ???.
I got into atvs around 86/87 & around the 90s bought one of Mendenhalls ol banshees, boy I thought I could ride, that shee spanked my tail & gave me some change a bunch of times. After my big racing career (3 years) I turned it over to the kids & been there sence.
Have only one rider now, my daughter on a 330R in the open b class.
If your serious about racing again, lets talk a little might can help out on some things.
Neil

312R1
12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
I cant think of anyone from Ark at the moment. but you say Duncan sponcered you ?.
You been keeping up with the racing scene over the years or just kinda layed back & put it on the back burner.
You remember Hollie Swartzer, girl from Kansas many years ago ???.
I got into atvs around 86/87 & around the 90s bought one of Mendenhalls ol banshees, boy I thought I could ride, that shee spanked my tail & gave me some change a bunch of times. After my big racing career (3 years) I turned it over to the kids & been there sence.
Have only one rider now, my daughter on a 330R in the open b class.
If your serious about racing again, lets talk a little might can help out on some things.
Neil

Hollie Swartzer doesn't ring a bell...The only person I know with a last name close to that is Brain Schwartz..From Mo.

Man I would love to talk about getting some help, but I just don't know how good or bad I will be...Once I finish building this R and get on the track it will be the first time out sense 96...So I just don't know how good I will be.

Yeah I was sponcered by Duncan...It wasn't a full on sponcer but they helped alot.

The good thing is that one of my good friends is friends with John Natalie and I will be able to practice with him on his track.
:D

-Steve

dfesmire
12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
Based on previous experiances who do you guys reccomend i send my motor to be rebuilt to? I was thinking ESR as i will be using one of their top end kits but im open to suggestions. thanks

Tom Miller Motorsports/Huntington, TN (731-968-0893) Been building our Honda 250R's & 450R's since we've been racing.

atvmxr
12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
it took awhile, but I was thinking maybe you were joey D'angelo. that fool was crazy fast out on swan in the 1995-7 time frame. Didnt even bother wearing goggles because he was so cocky he would be in the lead :huh supposedly he was a factory honda rider in the early 80's