PDA

View Full Version : shock springs?

jas250r
11-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I have regular travel elka up front that are compression adjustable, and zero preload. the rear is fully adjustable and zero preload also elka. vavled for 185 mx. I don't race, but how i ride i figured that mx would be the better fit. This is on an 88 with +2 a arms and a +4 axle. Seems to be harsher that i think it should when going over deeps sections of whoops(12in. to 16in.) I have tried adjusting everything separate, and riding before i make another change. When i ride a stock 450 it is a huge difference on how much more the elkas soak it up. But i thought it would be better than this? Hopes to high? Don't want advice on exotic setups right now. Should i have it respringed and vavled for xc/ trail riding? Hopefully i will get a chance ride a friends with almost same setup, but for xc. So i can make a comparison of the two.

Dave83
11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
When I sent my TCS's in for rebuilding,they asked where I wanted them to perform best.I understood it was all in the valving for the area where you want peak performance.Can you tell if they feel hard on the compression or really fast on the rebound?You can tell alot from watching the rear tires in the whoops.Before,mine would get alot of daylight between them and the ground,but the bike was squatted low,turned out the rebound was about gone out of the rear shock.It would compress and just about stay bottomed out.Now,its much better,I can hold it pinned in 4th on our tracks whoops and the tailend tracks straight.You still have to get back on the seat and ride the the pegs with your heels.Well worth what I speot them.

jas250r
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I sped the rebound up on one of the first adjustments. I could sail through whoops that less than a foot tall, but not any taller. A friend suggested that i add some preload since the rear was now broke in after a handful of rides. I think what i'am going to do next is take the preload back where i had originally had it, and put the rebound half way in between where i started and now that i have slowed it down. If anyone else reads this please chim in. I've did searchs on suspension and have quite found an answer on how to go about tuning. adjusting what will cure this but too much will cause this..