PDA

View Full Version : axle lock nut question

YamaWarr0121
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Alright i'm not dumb at all with quads and have been using 250R axles on my yfz for three years now, but the stock lock nut on this 05 honda 450R i got here doesn't want to come off.

I screwed the lock nut in, took the clip off, and it should slide off. But it doesn't, its stuck sorta, it'll move back and forth as if there was another clip in there? is there? I can't look right now as i'm in school but it should come off really easily..

And, shouldn't the brake disc and hub come off easily too? They aren't pressed on, are they?

Thanks,

11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Once you back the nut off and remove the ring everything should slide a part.

tltcracing
11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
i have had the same sorta prob. i use a rubber malet and some tapps and she comes out. its like there is a bur on it or somthing, just takes a little extra force and it should come out.

schootar
11-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
i have had the same sorta prob. i use a rubber malet and some tapps and she comes out. its like there is a bur on it or somthing, just takes a little extra force and it should come out.

My brother's axle ended up having a bur on it that kept the axle from coming out. I think he carefully took a grinder to it to take it off.

motoboy66
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Its the groov where the snap ring sits. It gets a tiny ridge on the outside from the nut pressure. Take a smal file or sand paper and get rid of it. It is a very SMALL ridge and should not need much work. I turn the axcle while holding the file on it. The collar willl then slide right off.

YamaWarr0121
11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
sweet, yea i figured i'd just bust out the grinder n cut off the lock nut anyway and since hte axle is gonna be trashed who cares..

thanks guys i'll try that this weekend at home!