PDA

View Full Version : Turning rims inside out

Jared Coderre
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Have any of you turned your front wheels so the inside is out thus giving you more front track width? Any problems associated with this?
I figure it's cheaper than buying wheel spacers.

exracer15
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
the only problem i can think of is with the nozzle to fill the tires with. but other than that there should be no problems.

weekendracer91
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
bad idea you will probably bend a lot of tie rods, my friend did it on a z400 and bent them everytime he came down from a wheelie or jump! if you do i would get some heavy duty tie rods!

ImplodedMindZ
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
This is well discussed on here and most people will tell u its a bad idea. B/c mostly it messes w/ the geometry of your steering and wantnot. i believe most people claim is causes bump steer or sumthing similar. Search "flip rims" and you will come up w/ alot of info. When i first bought my quad the rims were flipped and i know it put alot of stress on the tie rods b/c they eventually bent @ the threads.

Read up on it and make an educated decision, in my opinion its not worth it.

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by weekendracer91
bad idea you will probably bend a lot of tie rods, my friend did it on a z400 and bent them everytime he came down from a wheelie or jump! if you do i would get some heavy duty tie rods!

why would the tierods bend.. its like having offest wheels..

Xater
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
works with no problems on a blaster but im not sure on a 400ex im positive the valves stems will hit the brakes.

hoodie
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
all you have to do is buy a plug to go into the stock valve stem hole and then drill a new valve stem hole. my boss did this on his buddy's 400 and has had no problems. I think you can get the plug at any hardware store.

ImplodedMindZ
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
searched around a lil and found a few good reasons not to do it.

Originally posted by Jeff@TireBalls
Trust me, your quad will handle better stock than it will with flipped rims. This is why you don't see serious racers running flipped or dished wheels, they actually run 4+1 offset which brings the wheels in farther than stock. The farther away the tire center line is from the spindle center line the worse the quad will steer and handle.
Also if your trying to do this with stock Honda wheels, the wheel will no longer center itself due to the tapered insert being on the inside instead of the outside.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Originally posted by TBD
One more time. Bumpsteer is NOT the feedback that you fill in the bars when you hit a obstacle. When you add spacers, change wheel offsets or flip the wheels you have now moved the center of the wheel away from the pin inclanation(sp?). By doing that you increase the leverage against the steering. So every rut, root, rock or any obstacle you hit gives you feedback in the bars. That is NOT what bumpsteer is. Bumpsteer is the amount that the tire toe changes as the suspension cycles because the tie rods are not in the same arc as the a-arms.

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
ImplodedMinZ... that info is correct.. you will notice more bump steer and will have a harder time turning.. you will use alot of power from your arms when turning(only when you are turning slow.. at speed it is a little easier)..

give it a try if the valve stems dont touch the brake system.. and try riding real slow and turn.. you will notice its harder..

and as for not doing it.. thats all personal preference.. if you can deal with it then do it..

Jared Coderre
11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Interesting, I see the point regarding valve stems.

The fact that wider front ends are popular and wheel spacers are abundant, one would argue that a better handling quad comes from those changes. Tougher to steer? Possibly the inability to adjust caster would have a bigger impact on that than widening or narrowing the front. Setting the Camber to the same as it was prior to widening the front end is a potential cure.

I don't see where the tie rods would be strained as their function is to actuate steering. If they are bending why wouldn't the A-arm bend first. You are in effect moving the wheel away from the spindle not lengthening or shortening the tie rod?

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
your handling will be better..

caster not the issue when you add spacers or change rim specs.. its the point where the wheel turns..

ImplodedMindZ
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
it is almost comical how this subject is so vigilantly argued every time it comes up. You can look through the pages upon pages of information that is already out there, and it seems it is argued by the same people tryin to convey the same fact and those others that are set on fighting it. lol.

Jared Coderre
11-29-2006, 02:11 PM
ImplodedMindZ,

I appreciate you have seen and done it all but did you consider some of us may not be as versed as you and utilize a forum to ask questions?

Admittedly I should have thought to use the search function first however with time comes new ideas and new members who may have new insight on a subject.

I don't know you but I respect you for speaking your mind. Try not beating on those of us trying to learn or offering an opinion. You were probably new once also?

I did put the question I had in the title and feel free to skip over any of my posts if they are not worthy of your input.

Daver
11-29-2006, 07:33 PM
been there done that , don`t make the same mistake , bend two tie rod , bump steer , tough turn , arm fatigue , it suck ! , i now run +2 a arm , but if had not had them i would defenitely not run flip rims !!

weekendracer91
12-04-2006, 05:49 PM
ok im lieing, i just like makin sh*t up like that! Im just trying to help, no but when the front suspension compresses the tires toe in or out, straining the tie rods!

ImplodedMindZ
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
ok im lieing, i just like makin sh*t up like that! Im just trying to help
LOL i knew it, your busted. You would think some people actually think that way though by the way they react to advise.

weekendracer91
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
im sry i was just trying to help the person

ImplodedMindZ
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
im sry i was just trying to help the person
I know man i was just fockin w/ ya. Just bein sarcastic.

kurtdsmith13
12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
the bad thing is your brakes will be exposed. You can buy offset rims, that are alot cheaper than redoing your brakes, or front end.

bah1491
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
If you cant afford a-arms, go with offsets, thats how i started....its a very noticable handlign difference...

Jared Coderre
12-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys. It's almost time for a new set of fronts. Will probably go down the offset rim route................

Would you go 2:3 or 3:2?

bah1491
12-06-2006, 06:11 AM
i cant remember which one it was, but it made my bike 1.5 inches wider on each side, total of 3 inches wider....

underpowered
12-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
why would the tierods bend.. its like having offest wheels..

simple leverage my friend. with flipped wheels the center point of the tire is not only out past the sindle, but also out past the center of the wheel moounting point. there i greater leverage whenever you hit a rut, clip a tree or anything like that. with the increased leverage, tie rods are prone to bending.

12-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I ran fliped with wheel spacers so my front was around 5" longer than stock with cause of the spacers and fliping and never bent a thing. I fly 15ft high too. I went 2 summers like that no problums. It dont handle as bad as people make it sound.

Jared Coderre
12-06-2006, 09:39 AM
The reason I brought it up in the first place was because my aftermarket rear wheels (that came extra with quad) make the quad like a inverted V making it bite to much in the front and causing a " loose " condition when riding.
Thanks for your input. I went with Wheel spacers after all. I will watch it closely for the mystery bent tie rods.

Eviltanker
12-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Dude, I'm running durablue spacers in the front and I've had no problems so far. You just gotta keep an eye on it like any other mod.

slick7108514
12-11-2006, 12:01 AM
flipping the wheels would be a bad idea....i've worked at discount tire for about 4 years and i'm the head tech there so i have some experience with wheels and lug nuts. first off the wheel is designed to accept a certain type of lug nut...a stock honda atv wheel is designed for acorn seat lug nuts. if you flip the wheel the lug nut will not seat properly on the wheel....i'm sure the wheel would never come off, but there is still a chance and would you want it to come flying off while you are pinned in 5th gear...?