PDA

View Full Version : PA Opening Day

LeGaCyGiAnT124
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
So how did everyone do up here in Pennsylvania??? I went up to my camp up in Warren and we found a pretty good spot down in the hollow. Monday morning comes rolling around and we head down to our spot. We get there around 6:30 and wait for daylight. Finally an hour later deer start running down the hill from where a guy on the other hill side shot. So they start running right towards us! It was a little four point buck chasing a doe and there was nothing to stop it. It never stopped running so i took a shot at it and hit it somewhere and then shot again but missed. We trailed the blood trail for an hour but it went into the creek and we couldnt find anymore blood :o So we headed back to the spot where I shot it and as soon as we sat down a big doe was jogging and i scoped it in and boom. 100 yard shot and it went down!! haha so i shot my deer at 10 and gutted it and hung it in the tree ready for a buck now. I seen 2 more doe at 1:30 but i needed a buck. So that was all i seen for the day. I headed back to my campsite to find that my uncle got a bambi and so did his friend:macho So how was everyone elses opening day?

LeGaCyGiAnT124
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
We are going to have some good chops and jerky tonight:p BTW this is my first doe. The first year when I was 12 I did'nt get anything. 2nd year I got a 3 point. 3rd year I got another 3 point

Pappy
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
good job!

suck my pipe
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
I got a nice 8 point but the spred is real small.

elementryder
11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
hell this is my second year and i only seen 2 doe last year and whent huntin munday and tuse and didnt see anything

STOP SHOTING DOE lol please thats why there isnt many buck around

LeGaCyGiAnT124
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
nice 8 point man, i have never seen a bigger buck than a 4 point on opening day:scary: One year i will though

Stevie-D
11-28-2006, 05:10 PM
STOP SHOTING DOE lol please thats why there isnt many buck around

hahahaa.....

between my and my brother in the 8 years we've hunted our land, we've gotten 13 buck between us, and not one single doe. i believe 5 or 6 were button bucks. he shot another one yesterday afternoon.

we've got about 25 acres, we have access to hunt the neighbors land around us, and there is an unmarked chunk of state land that butts up to our property. it was donated to the state when the owner died, and it isn't marked. there is in the area of 325 acres. what is happening is people that live near it are telling their friends/relatives, etc... about it, and it's getting damn crowded. me, my brother, and 3 other friends went out on it yesterday morning, planning on sitting until around 11 then having 3 of us drive through a swamp towards the other two. we get out there around 5:30, and start waiting for the sun to come up. im sitting off the corner of a field on a ridge, watching the sun come up. its so peaceful just before sunup. lol...my peace was broken by some jack***** clanking across the field (climbing tree stand on his back making all kinds of noise) and a flashlight that could have lit up new york city. the jackass proceeds to start setting up his tree stand not 50 feet away from me while i'm sitting there whistling and waving at him. i finally called over to him and he wandered off. shot my morning all to hell:mad: my one buddy had two guys come in in front of him and sit down about 50 yards ahead of him:eek2:

i eventually started still hunting down a slope that bottoms out to a large swamp. kicked one up but had no shot.

we went in for lunch, came out and decided to head over to the other side of the property. my brother took his climber with him and didnt even make it to his tree before he shot the damn thing.
he was home from college for thanksgiving, and i had to drive him out to state college last night. lucky SOB gets his deer on the only day he can hunt.

****ty first day up here:rolleyes:

Honda TRX250ex
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I should of got my liscense and went out this year... Next year i am def.

Blue250X
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, I get out to my spot before dark... and i sit on my white 5 gallon bucket...and I wait..and at about 8 oclock i heard a BOOOOMM about 50yds to my right...and i was half asleep and didn't even notice a guy walking in. Well, a buck comes running down in front of me, and i didn't wanna take a running shot, so I wait, and he stops in the thickest part of the woods and i crack one off... missed... but later at about 2 three doe come running and i take one of them out... and i saw a coyote..so it was a good day all in all.

suck my pipe
11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Thank you, thats my first buck and I'm happy, as you can see he wasnt a mounter thoe lol.

stang9gt
12-02-2006, 04:33 PM
8pt 10:10am monday in the Quehanna(sp) area

tar
12-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
hahahaa.....

between my and my brother in the 8 years we've hunted our land, we've gotten 13 buck between us, and not one single doe. i believe 5 or 6 were button bucks. he shot another one yesterday afternoon.

we've got about 25 acres, we have access to hunt the neighbors land around us, and there is an unmarked chunk of state land that butts up to our property. it was donated to the state when the owner died, and it isn't marked. there is in the area of 325 acres. what is happening is people that live near it are telling their friends/relatives, etc... about it, and it's getting damn crowded. me, my brother, and 3 other friends went out on it yesterday morning, planning on sitting until around 11 then having 3 of us drive through a swamp towards the other two. we get out there around 5:30, and start waiting for the sun to come up. im sitting off the corner of a field on a ridge, watching the sun come up. its so peaceful just before sunup. lol...my peace was broken by some jack***** clanking across the field (climbing tree stand on his back making all kinds of noise) and a flashlight that could have lit up new york city. the jackass proceeds to start setting up his tree stand not 50 feet away from me while i'm sitting there whistling and waving at him. i finally called over to him and he wandered off. shot my morning all to hell:mad: my one buddy had two guys come in in front of him and sit down about 50 yards ahead of him:eek2:

i eventually started still hunting down a slope that bottoms out to a large swamp. kicked one up but had no shot.

we went in for lunch, came out and decided to head over to the other side of the property. my brother took his climber with him and didnt even make it to his tree before he shot the damn thing.
he was home from college for thanksgiving, and i had to drive him out to state college last night. lucky SOB gets his deer on the only day he can hunt.

****ty first day up here:rolleyes:

Why would you shoot spike heads let them grow up for a couple years then blast em' and you will have a good sized buck!:rolleyes:

Blue250X
12-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by tar
Why would you shoot spike heads let them grow up for a couple years then blast em' and you will have a good sized buck!:rolleyes:

For the meat?:confused:

Xater
12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
theres a ton of deer tracks/scrapes on my property but they seem to on come out in the middle of the night.

stang9gt
12-02-2006, 11:32 PM
In Pa you can't shoot spikes anymore. They have to have at least 3 pts on one side.

DeerNuts
12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by stang9gt
In Pa you can't shoot spikes anymore. They have to have at least 3 pts on one side.

Yeah you can't shoot spikers but you can shoot those with no horns whatsover. Like above poster said, it's for the meat.

In our little neck of the woods, if it's brown, it's down. Especially when a guy only has one day out of the entire bow/rifle season to bring home the bacon.

And regarding the point system, I am personally in favor of it. There has been a definite increase in the number of bigger bucks around here. At the end of the day I feel that hunting should remain purely a means of escape/harvesting/fun, but having more mature deer actually improves the quality of much more than deer hunting. A balanced doe/buck ratio means less deer per sqaure mile (very needed in many areas), which means more forage..leading to healthier deer and as a bonus an increased chance for shooting a bruiser!

Button bucks should probably walk, agreed, but not when it's your only chance for backstrap! It's like veal, only better!

trict_out
12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
last day of gun season in ohio today...ive been holdin out for a bruiser but this ol boy strolled by me this mornin and i couldnt pass him up. I wanted some deer jerky damnit!http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/pe226a62f84fff2b7468afb58eb4b7020/ebc7d597.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/pa39f8568adeb6466b7fc32c8f22f9262/ebc7d55e.jpg

DeerNuts
12-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Nice buck. Do you think he was to the point where his antlers simply stopped growing as much as they used to? I shot a 6 a few years back and he looked very old/frail and the rack, following the body I guess, was also not very impressive.

Pappy
12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
WV season is now over....I didnt even pull the trigger. Cody's doe opening day was all we got at the house. Still have 2 doe seasons and muzzleloader left.

Maryland has a week left, I havent seen anything worth putting down there either. The warm weather shut down the rut, and the wind friday and saturday moring shut everything else down.

I have 5 in the freezer, i need 15 more to make it through the year, I better get crackin:p