PDA

View Full Version : 400ex sprocket

Hondabeefast
11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I am thinking about putting a 16 tooth front sprocket on my 400ex.I have heard you have to mod something to get it to work.Is this true?
Also,If you have put 16 tooth front sprocket on your bike did you like it?
Thanks

400exfan19
11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
ive ridden 1 with 16t and hated it. go with a 14t

JOEX
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hondabeefast
I am thinking about putting a 16 tooth front sprocket on my 400ex.I have heard you have to mod something to get it to work.Is this true?
Also,If you have put 16 tooth front sprocket on your bike did you like it?
Thanks
I belive you may need to grind the case saver, the crecent shaped piece of metal in front of the sprocket, for a 16 tooth sprocket to fit.

vett_09
11-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Yeah, you need to grind down the guard. I did it with a die grinder in about 5 minutes. I like the 16T sprocket, but it depends on what you want. If you want quick acceleration, go down to a 14T, if you want top end, get the 16T. What kind of riding do you do?

Structure240sx
11-29-2006, 10:16 AM
i just put a 16t sprocket on my 400 the other night. only have rode it int he back yard a little so far and i like it. i can still pull wheelies and the longer gearing feels good.

trail riding 1st gear is just useless to me and sits there and spins in anything but grass and cement

i removed the case saver for now since i dont have any kind of grinder at my house yet. i spaced out the sprocket cover with some nuts. the case saver will go back on

Hondabeefast
11-29-2006, 03:47 PM
i mostly do trail riding and hit the the mx track every once in a while.I am not looking for more acceleration,thats why i was thinking about the 16 tooth.
thanks for your inputs.

NacsMXer
11-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I run a 16T front and I will NOT go back to anything else. I have no idea how people can deal with 14T fronts...maybe if you hill climb but that's about it. I love the setup I have now 16/39 with 18" rear tires. It used to piss me off on the MX track with stock gearing my quad would just rev out way too fast. I felt like I wasn't getting good use out of each gear because I would just zip through them so quickly. The 16T really helped to stretch each gear out.

I'm running a Nac's billet case saver and all I did was grind a little bit off with my Rotozip (dremel or drill with a grinding bit would work too) until the chain cleared. It's a real tight fit but nothing hits and the case saver is still there to do its job :cool:

You should really like it if you feel the same way I did about the stock gearing.

Hondabeefast
11-29-2006, 05:41 PM
i am having the same problem,i run thru the gears quick,i want them to rev out longer.i have the stock 15/38 so im am going to buy the 16 tooth.
Thanks

m36indiana
11-29-2006, 06:20 PM
if you dont want to do the front to 16 try going smaller in the rear it works just as good

ImplodedMindZ
11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by m36indiana
if you dont want to do the front to 16 try going smaller in the rear it works just as good
Would be a good alternative to having to modify or remove the case saver if that is not an option for most people. Unfortunatly costs a bit more.