PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape

rollie
11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Well i weigh like 240 right now and i dont like it, lol i want to fit in my riding gear and not look like its hard to breathe, lol i've decided to cut back on alot of food, and just plain dont eat as much, im setting up a treadmill and im going to run on it, alot with doing crunches, also no soda or engery drinks, anything else i should do? how quickly will i notice having more stamina and loose weigh? i have like 5 months before the season starts, id like to be down too 200-210, i dont even know if its possible to loose 40 pounds in 5 months? lol any other advice would be apreicatted...thanks:cool:

trx400exxracer
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I would do more biking if i were you. It is easier on on the joints than running.

Robin Hood
11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
I would do more biking if i were you. It is easier on on the joints than running.

Biking always helped me. Also, my dad used to weigh around 190-200, then he started walking/jogging around our block everyday which is close to a mile. In about 2 months he lost 25 pounds. Not too shabby I guess.

HondaEXrider22
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Well if you are serious this is what you should do.

Water/milk only drink diet.

Cut back on portions.

Eat a well balanced breakfast everyday. (Starts days metabolism.)(Whole grain cereal with skim milk, no sugary or fatty cereals.)

Pick a set time for a walk/run on treadmill/ect. Start small and work your way up.

Choose lowfat/reduced fat/nofat choices.

It sucks but it works.

nosliw
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
i hike/scramble/rockclimb

i can't eat enough to gain weight.

Honda400exrox
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Rig up a fishing pole to your head and put a twinky or something on the end of it, and chase it around the yard, you'll loos weight and give the neighbours a laugh:p

troutman561
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Really what you gotta do is cut out soda and as much friend food as possible, eat health(a given ofcourse) and dont eat at night before bed, thats the killer. Drink mostly water and juices also. Another key is to do lots of cardiovascular excersize, atleast 20 minutes each day.
I followed this pretty much and lost 40lbs in 2 months, yes unhealthy to lose weight that fast but also i was stressed because of school and a few other things so that helped... Basicly just dont eat crap, cut out soda almost completely, and run run run...

MO-EX-RIDER
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
Well if you are serious this is what you should do.

Water/milk only drink diet.

Cut back on portions.

Eat a well balanced breakfast everyday. (Starts days metabolism.)(Whole grain cereal with skim milk, no sugary or fatty cereals.)

Pick a set time for a walk/run on treadmill/ect. Start small and work your way up.

Choose lowfat/reduced fat/nofat choices.

It sucks but it works.

^^this will work + FYI - fiber is your friend + proportions need to be watched at every meal! good luck:)

quads14589
11-28-2006, 05:11 PM
how tall r u?

11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
run 2 miles a day, and lift weights, you will loose water weight but lifting will gain your weight back with muscle, and doing this everyday will make you loose weight and look stronger

take it from me :D

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
if you have access to a pool.. about 30 mins of swimming each day and you will be thin in no time.. its easy on your body also.. as for eating.. eat healthy food cause your body will need it.. instead of eating 3 big meals.. eat 6 little ones.. and snacks this will shrink your stomach and after a lil while of this you'll be full on less food..

just try to be more active.. play sports.. walk.. etc..

rollie
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
how tall r u?
6 ft

thanks for the help guys

exrider008
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
i lost 10lbs in a month and a half just buy not eating any snacks. all i ate was breakfast,lunch and dinner and drank alot of milk and water.

11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Im like 214 and wanna get down to like 160 or w.e is normal for a 5'8 16/17 year old kid lol.
I started to lift but its not enough for me in my opinion so when I get my licence next month i'm gonna hit up the gym.

JRP
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
im 6' and at 180. I just try to eat all my meals, and what really helps is NO soda. Worst thing you can do is drink soda. All i have is milk, water, and orange juice(1/2 less sugar). And i try to ride or run everyday.

honduh440
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
working out sucks and its very hard to stay motivated especially cardio.... start off biking instead of running biking will build your confidence being that you dont get tired that fast if you go right out and start running you will get tired in less then a mile and eventually give up. also for losing weight u wanna pay very close attention to your heart rate if u bike to hard u will actually gain weight so do some research on that also another way to lose weight is not by competley stoping eating but take out the toppings on the normal stuff u eat that is fatty foods like chesse on a burger or in a taco. also eat beans and peanuts they keep u full for longer and are great for you. thats exactly what i did and i lost 30 lbs in 3 monmths and i felt like i could have worked way harder

derekhonda
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Everyone has surprisingly had great suggestions so far. The only thing I think needs added is lifting weights. You may not lose as much weight initially, because muscle weighs more than fat, but by looking in the mirror you will probably be happier. Plus, a little known fact is a pound of muscles burns 50 calories a day on its own, so by adding say 5 lbs of muscle you could theoretically eat 250 more calories a day and stay the same size (or not eat it, and continually lose more weight in the long run).

Plus, a weight training workout (specifically your legs) will burn as much calories as 30-45 minutes on a treadmil, and is more fun as an added bonus.

NacsMXer
11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
The first thing you want to do is start paying attention to food labels to monitor exactly how many calories/carbs/fat/cholesterol/sodium, etc you are consuming per day. Keep a record of it if it helps, but simply stay on top of what you eat, no cheating.

Don't starve yourself to the point that you are hungry. It puts your body into starvation mode and will cause it to store more fat than it normally would when you give such an opportunity.

Drink LOTS of water! and avoid any drinks with sugar in them.

Exercise and physical activity will work wonders for you. Start out slow and work your way up as your endurance and cardiovascular health improves. Don't expect any miracles too soon, it will take consistent aerobic excercise for you to notice a change. Low intensity aerobic exercises burn FAT. High intensity aerobic exercises burn more readily-available CARBS.

200-300 calories expended/day through exercise while controlling how many calories you consume per day WILL lead to weight loss ;)

To put things into perspective, body fat contains 3,500 calories per pound. It really is a lot of calories that we all have stored in our bodies. In order to lose 1-2 pounds per week, you will have to decrease your daily calorie intake by 500-1000 calories AND include 60 minutes of physical activity most days of the week.

It will take effort on your part, but if you have the will and the commitment, I do not see any reason that you will not succeed :)

11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
You should be able to take off 40 pounds in 5 months..Ufc fighters loose 10 in a night n fight the next day.

derekhonda
11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mitch091
You should be able to take off 40 pounds in 5 months..Ufc fighters loose 10 in a night n fight the next day.

Thats just water weight dude, not sustainable. It comes right back the second you replenish fluids.

gohstmofo6696
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
basketball and cutting down on food helped me lose 45 pounds in a matter of just under a year, not playing that much maybe two three times a week at like 2 hours a day, but i would stop and rest inbetween games, good luck man

stalefish_132
11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
there have been alot of good idea's on how to loose weight,i cant't realyl give you any tips on loosing weight because i'm 6'2 150lbs and i'm tryign to gain weight! one thing i'd say it if you can try to ride alot more often alogn with what the others have said. it keeps you in shape and improves your rdign skills at the same time. 40lbs in 5 months doesn't sound out of the question. f you realyl want it you'll achive your goal. good luck;)

Ralph
11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
there have been alot of good idea's on how to loose weight,i cant't realyl give you any tips on loosing weight because i'm 6'2 150lbs and i'm tryign to gain weight!

I know where your coming from. Im 18, 5'9 ish and a suppose about 160 pounds. I can eat anything you throw at me and i wont gain a pound. I ate McDonalds For lunch almost everyday of senior year in highschool (Dont ask). I love eating and when my metabolism starts to slow down im really gonna be hurting.

derekhonda
11-29-2006, 12:45 AM
actually 40 pounds is exactly what you should lose in 5 months of diet and excersising. Most people try to target around 2 pound loss per week, and that is right on the money. You will probably lose more in the beginning and it will slow to the end, but don't give up!

HondaEXrider22
11-29-2006, 04:37 AM
The one thing I forgot is stay away from salt. Avoid putting salt on fries, foods, on and on. Salt is an enemy. I am taking a health class now and salt is the enemy.

nosliw
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
speaking of water weight you'll probably drop about 10lbs in the first week of dieting from it.

11-29-2006, 09:50 AM
To loose weight you need less callories. To gain muscle you need to eat alot of callories so you really woujldnt be gaining much muscle out of lifting.

I eat like 2 boxes of mac n cheese every day and never gain weight.

red2004 TRX450R
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
I know where your coming from. Im 18, 5'9 ish and a suppose about 160 pounds. I can eat anything you throw at me and i wont gain a pound. I ate McDonalds For lunch almost everyday of senior year in highschool (Dont ask). I love eating and when my metabolism starts to slow down im really gonna be hurting.

I use to be just like you! (18 5'8 160 now 26 5'8 195 most of it is around my waste) just wate a couple of years you will be around 200 if you keep it up.
I know I just got done eating McDonalds and thinking to my self wow this is bad for me. I should get in shape.

derekhonda
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
To loose weight you need less callories. To gain muscle you need to eat alot of callories so you really woujldnt be gaining much muscle out of lifting.

lets not post wrong information dude, you really think lifting weights while on a diet doesn't yield results? While it is true that in order to grow muscles you must take in a surplus of calories, toning and retaining muscles does not. One of the first things your body is going to use for fuel when it does not receive it from food is muscle. So basically, if you want to cut down to 190 and have no muscle, look flabby, and be mis-shapen, take your route. If you want to be 190 and cut up looking, pick up the weights (plus as stated, weight training will burn as much calories as a long run).

Copied from fitness.com FAQ on weight loss:

In order to lose weight, you have to know your daily caloric intake limit in order to maintain your weight. Having that number, you can adjust your daily intake by shaving 500 calories a day off for 1 lb a week or 1000 calories a day for 2 lbs a week.

Cardio is key for weight loss, whether it be moderate paced cardio or HIIT. Moderate paced cardio should be done for a minimum of 30 minutes, with 45-60 being ideal. Work your way up to it, don't go for 45 minutes if you're just starting.

Weight training is also vital. Weight training will up your metabolism for up to 72 hours after training. A solid weight training regimine working every muscle group (or even a training split) will increase results. A high-intensity workout that really raises your heart rate will blast off the most calories.

Fred55
11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
If your still in high school, something you might want to try for your workouts is doing a winter sport. That will give you a schedule to follow along with a coach being there to push you. It will also probably help you improve hand eye coordination and your reflexes. Doing that along with a healthy diet should be quite beneficial.

jrspawn
11-29-2006, 10:01 PM
This might not be the best way to loose weight but it works, trust me. Do not take in over 10 grams of fat in day. It is pretty hard to adjust to, but you will loose weight rather quickly. Take in as much Healthy food as you can. Drink LOTS of water, ALOT. cut out all junk and soda. And keep to your daily activities as normal. You wouldnt believe me if i told you how much i lost in one month by strickly keeping to this diet. Once again it might not be the best or most reccomended but it works. And the weight will not just jump back on after you ease yourself back out of the diet.

Justin