PDA

View Full Version : yfz shocks on a 400?

trx400EXtreme
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
hey i was jut wonderin' if anybody knows how yfz450 shocks fit on a 400ex. i would rather not have anything revalved or resprung cuz im on a small budget. wut do u guys think? thanx.

trx400EXtreme
11-28-2006, 03:53 PM
anybody? plz

jokester
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
yes they will fit...it requires a litte tiny bit of grinding though....some people say that they mess up the geometry of the quad, and others say that it doesn't...they lower the quad a little bit I'm not sure exactly how far, but I'm pretty sure that the closest you can get it to stock height is 1in lower....other people can definately clarify on this more for you.....hope it helped a little bit

11-29-2006, 07:57 AM
The bottom mount fits. The top mount dont. You have to grind the shocks top eye hole skinnier and it will fit then. Ride hight can go from stock hight down to 3" low using 20" fronts.

Heres the hight i use (stock yfz shocks just painted)
Lowest ride hight
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler216.jpg
The ride hight i use for jumping
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler225.jpg

I have mine low but it can go up to about stock hight.

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Look at the 450r shocks on 400 sticky there is some info on doing this in there. I think you have to do the same procedure on the 450r shocks to put them on i am thinking of doing this. I need to get some more money & a new pipe first.

11-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by blasterandy
Look at the 450r shocks on 400 sticky there is some info on doing this in there. I think you have to do the same procedure on the 450r shocks to put them on i am thinking of doing this. I need to get some more money & a new pipe first.

page 4 scroll down
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187613&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Dhumpalo whats up with ur oil cooler why is silver is it aftermarket or did you paint it. And did you mount it lower if so how.

11-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Dhumpalo whats up with ur oil cooler why is silver is it aftermarket or did you paint it. And did you mount it lower if so how.

Its has crome paint on it. Its lower so wind can get at it better. All you have to do is get longer oil lines.

Alot of people buy aftermarket il coolers for 400ex's and they mount right were i mounted mine but their bigger. A cheep thing to do is just run 2 oil coolers for added cooling.

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Looks good. Hey whata ya know theres chrome paint in the tool box. Sounds like a good idea.

11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Looks good. Hey whata ya know theres chrome paint in the tool box. Sounds like a good idea.

Crome paint up close it looks shiny/light grey. From a distance it looks like crome.

Look at the stem.This was a year ago. Good enough to trick people into thinking its crome.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler089.jpg

BigFish
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
On the whole shock thing, u would be better off just saving some money and getting some lower-end aftermarket shocks that are set up for your weight, a arms and riding style.

On the chrome spray paint thing, I'm not even going to comment. :(

11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
On the whole shock thing, u would be better off just saving some money and getting some lower-end aftermarket shocks that are set up for your weight, a arms and riding style.

On the chrome spray paint thing, I'm not even going to comment. :(

$150 front shocks are better off saving your money?

Shocks that can handle any jump that cost $150 is worth every penny.

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Try not to make fun of ppls improvised improvements

BigFish
11-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Nowhere in my post did I put anyone down. I never said I had money. I run works on my quad (bought used and had Derisi rebuild them along w/ the stock rear shock).

Anyone one that knows anything about quads or suspension in general will tell you that u are wasting money by slapping on some shocks that aren't made for your quad. Some elka recs or works that are set up would be night and day difference over any of the 450 take offs. Personally for just trail riding and a little jumping, stock 400 shocks aren't that bad.

...oh yea, I only run amsoil;)

oldskoolex400
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
ive got a set of works triples w/ rezzies i would sell you PM me if interested

11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
Nowhere in my post did I put anyone down. I never said I had money. I run works on my quad (bought used and had Derisi rebuild them along w/ the stock rear shock).

Anyone one that knows anything about quads or suspension in general will tell you that u are wasting money by slapping on some shocks that aren't made for your quad. Some elka recs or works that are set up would be night and day difference over any of the 450 take offs. Personally for just trail riding and a little jumping, stock 400 shocks aren't that bad.

...oh yea, I only run amsoil;)

My shocks are getting revalved this winter and only cause i have +3 A-arms now..

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I am sry about my previous post. I was pissed off because my dog took a crap on the floor and i am sick. forgive my attitiude. Anyways you can't say that the 450's shocks arn't an improvement over the stocks. And for jumping those things are rock solid. Sorry again.:p

11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
for jumping those things are rock solid. Sorry again.:p

Thats why i baught em. I set the ride hight really low and hit big jmps and dont bottom unlike elkas which would.

trx400EXtreme
11-29-2006, 02:07 PM
thanks for al the input.

blasterandy
11-29-2006, 02:31 PM
you ask we deliver. Also you can get yfz shocks cheaper... ususally. What do you do most trail, mx, jumping. For strictly trail don't worry about it. Mx and jumping go for it night and day difference. My friend just did his with trx shocks about a week in a half ago and he loves em.