PDA

View Full Version : can aftermarket exhaust f**k up ur motor

fes999
11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
can aftermarket exhaust f**k up ur motor??

11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
No. It can make it run bad though if the jetting is left normal. If you go very lean you can burn up your motor but thats still only the jets..

fes999
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
aight thx man it just sumone told me my pipe had to much of a big opening and it would mess it up bc there wasent enaugh back pressure

wheeltrax
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Nah, your good as long as your machine is jetted right there is no worry. The only thing you are going to lose with a very free flowing exaust is a bit of low end, but you will gain top end.

JOEX
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by fes999
can aftermarket exhaust f**k up ur motor??
No need for this kind of title on this message board:ermm:

11-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by fes999
sumone told me my pipe had to much of a big opening and it would mess it up bc there wasent enaugh back pressure

Alot of people say crap about back pressure. Its total bs. No aftermarket pipes have back pressure. Once you put the streight core pipe in which aftermarket mufflers use it gets rid of the back pressure. The only pipes that have back pressure are stock mufflers and disk type mufflers.

Only thing now that keeps back pressure is your header and mid pipe.
You can actually run no muffler and as long as your header is 6" long it will cause no harm (as long as jetted right).

300ex_#387
11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dhumpalo
Alot of people say crap about back pressure. Its total bs. No aftermarket pipes have back pressure. Once you put the streight core pipe in which aftermarket mufflers use it gets rid of the back pressure. The only pipes that have back pressure are stock mufflers and disk type mufflers.

You can actually run no muffler and as long as your header is 6" long it will cause no harm (as long as jetted right).

Please, show me where you learned this information. That is one of the most retarded post's i've ever read. You should be banned for your stupidity.

AtvMxRider
11-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Please, show me where you learned this information. That is one of the most retarded post's i've ever read. You should be banned for your stupidity.

Damn beat me to it. ALL pipes have a certain amount of back pressure.

250X_project
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
LMAO I love this forum

interceptorz28
12-01-2006, 06:17 AM
You need back pressure. If not, the exhaust is ripped out of the engine way to quick.

Tri-valleyracin
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
u can suck a valve or all of them.

xxnightraven73x
12-01-2006, 01:53 PM
hell im running banshee pipes on my 440 and im alot happier with them than i was with my e-series ill never have a single pipe again.since ive added the 2 pipes i love it sounds good and power everywhere in the rpm range

gbcap
12-01-2006, 01:56 PM

HUMM....:rolleyes:

all have a certain amount of backpressure. no way around it. otherwise it would screw up the motor.

back to the subject at hand...straighten up your thread title when you read this.

if the pipe is designed for your bike it won't hurt it. as long as you jet for the extra flow of the exhaust. if you kept stock jetting it would be way to lean and you could screw up your motor.

Tri-valleyracin
12-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by xxnightraven73x
hell im running banshee pipes on my 440 and im alot happier with them than i was with my e-series ill never have a single pipe again.since ive added the 2 pipes i love it sounds good and power everywhere in the rpm range

thoughs pipes have back pressure for the motor by the small out lets

12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Back pressure is caused by cut offs and curves through out the exhaust system and nothing else. The silencer part or the pipe is streight through in most pipes making no gain in back pressure. Less back pressure makes better hp in high rpms.

12-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by gbcap

all have a certain amount of backpressure. no way around it. otherwise it would screw up the motor.

Called the header.

2004exrider
12-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by gbcap

Having no back pressure will not "suck a valve" or screw up your motor, not jetting it will make it run hotter and have a better chance of messing up your motor.

Jimmy

300ex_#387
12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm still not sure if I understand it right, but from what I have read even if you have it jetted right you can still lose performance over time.

12-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I'm still not sure if I understand it right, but from what I have read even if you have it jetted right you can still lose performance over time.

Every quad looses performance over time. The packing gets bad which makes performance a lil not as good and piston rings get bad and valves need adjusting.

300ex_#387
12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Every quad looses performance over time. The packing gets bad which makes performance a lil not as good and piston rings get bad and valves need adjusting.

Ok lets put it this way...Say you run this 6" header like you said that would not change the engine in any way with it being jetted properly. With that pipe you would have No backpressure at all. The velocity of the exhaust would be very low, and low velocity = less performance. When you have a full system with backpressure it creates a higher velocity causing a scaveging effect that will actually pull the exhaust out of the motor. You want the right mixture of back pressure, and scaveging to get the most performance.

AtvMxRider
12-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Back pressure is caused by cut offs and curves through out the exhaust system and nothing else. The silencer part or the pipe is streight through in most pipes making no gain in back pressure. Less back pressure makes better hp in high rpms.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about

12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about

Obvisualy you dont. Your confusing turbulance with back pressure

12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
an automotive exhaust muffler with a particularly high number of twists, bends, turns and right angles could be described as having particularly high backpressure [1]. Back Pressure in the exhaust sense of the term, is usually termed as being a "bad thing" for performance, however in the ever increasing vigilance of the law, back pressure can be regulated to keep exhaust noise down using systems from simple butterfly valves to fully computer controlled units sensing pressure in the exhaust pipe itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_pressure

400ftm
12-03-2006, 06:31 PM
if you have too much or too little backpressure you lose power. as far as i know on 4-stroke engines the intake and exhaust valve openings overlap. the backpressure keeps the new charge from going out the exhaust.