View Full Version : brighter lights for 400ex...

rumme
11-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I see there are aftermarket " star lights" for the 400ex....I think these are rated at 35 watts. Is that the highest rated bulb one could use and has anyone ever tryed using LED lights. They are very bright and draw very little current..and are basically indestructable....

My local hardware store has a set of 55 watt halogen headlights on sale for $15 a pair..but I wasnt sure if that was to many watts. Maybe it would work if I unhooked the stock headlights?

blasterandy
11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Why do you need brighter lights??? unless your in the dunes. And lots of places don't even alow you to ride at night. If you go buy headlights from you hardware store you have to be really desperate. Not only is it a waste, those are meant for cars. go on ebay and you can buy some for 60$ here is the item # 140043846060

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 12:16 PM
stock lights are 35 watts each.. the star lights are 35 watts each but they are alot brighter then stock..

whatever you do try not to run more then 70 watts at a time unless you rewind your stator for more power..

trail techs are also good for the price..

rumme
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
so the stk lights are 35 watts each and since they are dual headlights, that would mean its a total of 70watts drawn..or is it only 35 watts total being drawn? Ive read where people are running the star lights and stk lights together. Shouldnt that be to much of a amperage draw?

hoodie
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I am running the lazer star lights and my stock lights at the same time and have been doing so since april. I haven't had a problem yet. I use the spot with my low beams and the flood with my high beams. I noticed on the website that I got my star lights from that they offer HID lights too.

Unverfehrt400ex
11-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I picked up some trail techs about a year ago. Theyve held up great so far and have even went through a few rollovers with no problem. Its nice having the one spot like and one flood light. They are 35 watt but are sooo much brighter than stock.

rumme
11-29-2006, 05:30 AM
couldnt I just get some 35-45 watt halogens from the local auto store and use them...as long as they would fit properly in the lamp holders ? I would think going from the cheapo incadescent bulbs to halogen would be a huge improvement and much less expensive then buying a whole aftermarket atv setup

svahle
11-29-2006, 06:40 AM
You can basically run what ever lights you want so long as you don't over work the stator. The stock lights total 70 watts. Running more wattage will EVENTUALLY damage the stator (unless it is rewound to withstand the higher wattage bulbs). I bought Hella Optilux lights off ebay for about $60 and they work great. One thing I did notice is that cheap bulbs will burn out from the bouncing and jarring of a quad. More expensive bulbs last fine.