PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass...i think that is what its called

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Anyone know how to make stuff outta fiber glass?

Looks like all you do is make a mold.

Lay the fiberglass material onto the mold

paint some kind of glue on it

let it dry and sand it off.

I have no clue how to do any of this or if that is what it is called. (I have had a brain fart)

Just looks fun to make stuff.

TRX_450
11-28-2006, 06:22 AM
ive made small stuff outta it for rc cars.....i didnt use a mold tho....i just made a 2x2 sqare outta it and then just sanded it into the shape i wanted with a dremel tool bu i know theres an easy way to make stuff outta it

duke416ex
11-28-2006, 09:12 AM
You can use fiberglas resin, it is a cloth mat that you lay down or in the shape you want it and then smear teh resin on teh mat and let it hardin.

jesshamner
11-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Anyone know how to make stuff outta fiber glass?

Looks like all you do is make a mold.

Lay the fiberglass material onto the mold

paint some kind of glue on it

let it dry and sand it off.

I have no clue how to do any of this or if that is what it is called. (I have had a brain fart)

Just looks fun to make stuff.

You pretty much nailed it. What are you trying to make?

L.Vegas400
11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
it works better to saturate your fiberglass with resin first then lay it to your mold or what ever you use. if your making a body for a go cart or somthing of that sort, use chicken wire. if it is a lay in type use some kind of release agent, vasiline or somting of the sort.

Scott-300ex
11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Can you make me some +3 A-arms?

Rider-trx_250ex
11-28-2006, 01:48 PM
i saw someone making sides for a car or something and it was being sprayed out of some tube and im pretty sure it was fiberglass

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
You pretty much nailed it. What are you trying to make?
Since I just bought my ute to race they don't make many things so I think I might do some making of my own.

I want to try small first. Maybe make some Headlight covers. Then I want to make a new dash for my fuel/MPH/Warning light to go in. Since the stock dash sticks above the handle bars. I know how i race I am sure I will have it ripped off within a few races. Plus it would just be cool to know how to do.

As for +3 a arms. I will make them but no promoses on durability:devil:

250exen
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
just to make sure... your not talking about carbon fiber, are you? that stuff is expensive, and it looks kinda tricky to make your own stuff from it....
it would be sweet to learn tho

carbon fiber is the shizznat!:eek:

Mxjunkie
11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Fiberglass make's you really itchy so when you do it wear some gloves and a long sleve shirt.. I did a front end on a VW powered buggy and it made me itchy as hell..

Here's a somewhat good write up on it I'll try and find you a couple more :)

http://www.explorerforum.com/fiberglass/fiberglassing.htm

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
just to make sure... your not talking about carbon fiber, are you? that stuff is expensive, and it looks kinda tricky to make your own stuff from it....
it would be sweet to learn tho

carbon fiber is the shizznat!:eek:

No not carbon fiber. Just fiberglass. I guess I could edit my post since I was having a brain fart last night

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Fiberglass make's you really itchy so when you do it wear some gloves and a long sleve shirt.. I did a front end on a VW powered buggy and it made me itchy as hell..

Here's a somewhat good write up on it I'll try and find you a couple more :)

http://www.explorerforum.com/fiberglass/fiberglassing.htm

Thank You:D

Mxjunkie
11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Check out alot of the Audio forum sites, they have alot of information about fiberglass because they make sub boxes out of it and such, there's usually thread's on how to make the mold's and everything! :macho

jesshamner
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
I was thinking that carbon fiber is basically the same principle. I could be wrong. I have really researched it.

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Check out alot of the Audio forum sites, they have alot of information about fiberglass because they make sub boxes out of it and such, there's usually thread's on how to make the mold's and everything! :macho

You just gave me another great idea! I need to make new sub boxes. I just have walmart specials in my truck now and they look like poo

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
I was thinking that carbon fiber is basically the same principle. I could be wrong. I have really researched it.

I thought carbon fiber was just a hybrid of fiberglass. Its too expensive though

firefighterjosh
11-28-2006, 10:07 PM
I think I figured out what I need

1. Fiberglass mat or cloth
2. resin and hardener.
3. Bondo (body filler), hardener.
4. Disposable gloves
5. Something to make a modle with (wood, clay, foam)
6. Sanding supplys (36 or 40 and 80 or 100 grit paper)
7. WD40 (keeps resin from sticky to stuff, like PAM)

Make a modle of what you want to make. Spray WD40 on modle if your not going to use it as part of your creation.

Cut out a piece of Fiberglass and dip it into resin. Modle fiberglass over modle.

Let dry (2 - 4 hours)

Sand and make smooth.

Apply another layer, Cut fiberglass, dip in resin, apply to dry fiberglass.

let dry again

Repeat if needed. 2 layers minimun for most application, should never need to exceed 10 layers.

After all layers are made sand and make smooth. Use bondo to smooth out low spots and to shape your creation.

Sand again.

Paint with primer.....sand........then paint.\

I can not wait to try this. Seems like fun

jesshamner
11-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Yeah its pretty cool to make stuff. I have been looking into because I'm wanting to restore a boat. The floor needs to be replaced with new wood and fiber glass will be involved in the whole process.