PDA

View Full Version : what should i do??

TRX108
11-27-2006, 08:57 PM
i heard this is the best place to ask questions about atvs! sooo... i want to race this year! I have a 1986 250r. Last year i did some open practice and loved it. What should i get for my 250r to race? I already have nerf bars, pro design kill switch, and extended axel, and ist also piped. Let me know what i should do, and give me some brands and web sites.

2strokes4ever
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
start will a set of reeds v-force 3's,also get a reed spacer(oldest trick in the the book for the 250r,get your jug ported and polished,change your ignition timing so you can run race fuel,also get ur head shaved to up compression,race fuel wont give you a huge advantage but it will make ur engine run cooler,and you'll get a cleaner more complete burn resulting is more power

Trx250rider86
11-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Definitely pipe it, i got a ESR pipe and i love it.

www.Esr250.com

wilkin250r
11-27-2006, 09:16 PM
What king of racing, like a flattrack?

Most people will tell you porting, extended a-arms, ZPS shocks to lower the center of gravity, and Hoosiers (tires).

Me, I say go and race first, in a beginner class. Lots of people in that class will have stock machines, so you won't look like an idiot. Go try it out and have fun before you spend thousands of dollars. When your skills start to surpass your equipment, THEN start upgrading.

And when you do upgrade, top of the line is nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. My first 1st-place trophy was won on extended a-arms ($300) and stock shocks. Because the extended arms added extra leverage on the shocks, they were really soft and sat really low, and coupled with a lowering strut on the rear ($65). No good for jumping or MX racing, but it worked well on the track. For less than $400, I was able to compete with setups that cost well over $3000

TRX108
11-27-2006, 09:33 PM
ill be doing MX

wilkin250r
11-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by TRX108
ill be doing MX

Well, then, that's a different story.

Suspension suspension suspension. $3000 in the engine can improve your lap times by 2-3 seconds, but $3000 in suspension will improve your lap times by 8-10 seconds.

Works (http://www.worksperformance.com) shocks will definitely be an improvement over stock, and their steelers or pro series will be your cheapest options at about $1000 for a set of 3.

Higher-end shocks such as Elka (http://www.elkasuspension.com), PEP, .Custom Axis (http://www.customaxisshocks.com/), and TCS (http://www.tcsracing.com/) (among others) will offer better performance, but at obviously higher price. Expect these shocks to run closer to $2000 for a complete set, and the premium pro-level shocks of the same brands will be more expensive still.

Whichever shocks your budget will allow, be sure to get external or piggyback reservoirs. They don't really add performance, they keep the shocks working properly for longer. Without them, your shocks will get hot within a few laps, and the performance will fade until they cool down again. With the external rezzies, they stay cool and keep working properly.

norcalduner
11-28-2006, 09:37 AM
also install a good set of mx tires ..... 18 inch in rear and 20 inch up front ..... to complement your suspension upgrades.

Dave83
11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Listen to Wilkin,suspension is where its at on the MX track.Not only makes you faster,but safer too.Cheap engine mod to improve the bottom end torque is to raise the compression of the motor.A CR head gasket or taking the 2 thinner pieces of a stock TRX gasket will help alot.You can run pump gas up to about 185-190psi I run 101oct at least on any 2 stroke.Above 200,youll need 108 or better.Tires have been mentioned,but do some research at the track youll be running on.The most expensive arent always the ones that will work best in your dirt.The old R is still a competitive machine provided the rider is competent.I ran a stock framed R with a slightly ported stock cylinder 215psi compressionand decent shocks.It did well against the newer machines,the rider was a little too old to keep up with the kids,but we got some wins here and there.Keep the tranny oil changed,the air filter clean,and the jetting where it needs to be and youll have a good time.

TRX108
11-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys keep it comeing. i have a set of rear holeshots and that alone is a big help. Can u guys also give me some good web sites to get the spring kit! and do the kits come with front and rear????

TRX108
11-29-2006, 09:06 PM
?????