PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

extreme98tj
11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I recently purchased my first ATV an 05 400ex and had a couple questions for you guys. First off I've ridden it probably 5 times and ran a tank through it, but on the last ride I found it a bit harder to get the bike into neutral. Or at least I think I did, it was my first time to ride with new boots and I was having a little problem getting adjusted to riding with them. When I got home and was putting the bike up I noticed that, with the engine off, the bike in first gear, and clutch fully engaged that it was still catching just a little bit when I would push the bike. I could still push it easily but could feel the gear catching just slightly like the clutch was still slightly disengaged. I got on it started it up in first gear with the clutch engaged but it doesn't move at all. In fact I have to let the clutch out a full inch or so for it to catch.

My question is...when the bike would catch while in gear, clutch engaged and motor off a normal thing?

Next question, I recently ordered the big gun evo x slip on and dynojet kit, but I am retaining the stock air filter and box lid since I ride through lots of high creeks and mud...does anybody have a recommendation for pilot, main, needle, and air/fuel screw settings? Did I make a mistake on the bug gun? I just wanted to be a bit different than everyone else I ride with.

BTW, this site is what led me to the 400 and I haven't looked back since. Thanks in advance.

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 12:41 AM
you should get a new air filter.. you can leave the lid and everything on .. but get a K&N if you're leaving the lid on.. as for jetting.. the kit will tell you everything you need..

my clutch does the same thing yours does.. i dont think its a problem.. i never had issues with mine.. the Big Gun is a good choice..

11-28-2006, 05:28 AM
you will hardly notice any power gains(they will be there, but very diminished) from just a pipe...you need a better flowing air filter to get any true gains. reason being is that if you are not putting any more air in, how can you get more air out? intake is just as important as exhaust...a k&n or uni whilt keeping your lid will be good...i hit a lot of mud and creeks and have never had any problems...

i am running a big gun full race exhaust on my 400ex..i like this pipe...it made a big difference down low and gave a little bit of upper end too...

extreme98tj
11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
which would be a better filter for dusty conditions?

11-28-2006, 09:56 AM
the uni...running an outerwear on the k&n will help out some, but the uni will flow better than stock and filter better than the k&n...the dusty conditions have never really affected my with the k&n's at all

400exfan19
11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
how much do those outerwears cost?

11-28-2006, 10:18 AM
i think they are around 10 dollars or so...

coryatver
11-28-2006, 11:03 AM
I run the stock air filter and air box lid and have a full hmf and 416 and it hauls. A new uni would probley make it even better though. With the lid on and the full exhuast I would start with a 158 and go from there. Get a few main jets to try. Also a 42 pilot. I leave the air fuel screw at the stock position