PDA

View Full Version : Part Out Questions/Help

250r4life
11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, i hate to say it but i am considering parting out my R. I blew 2nd gear a couple weeks ago, and consequently bought a new yfz. i am trying to figure out what i am going to do with my bike. i am considering fixing the tranny and selling it, fixing the tranny and parting it out, or just parting it out as is... of course, since it will kill me to do any of the previous 3, keeping it is always an option as well... im just trying to weigh out my options and consider everything before making my decision...

i need a little help from ya'll though. i am curious to know if i went the parting out route, what do you think i could get for it. if you could post either A) what you would be willing to pay B) what you have sold the same or similar items for C) what you have paid for the same similar items or D) what you have seen them go for....

until 3 weeks ago, this was a perfectly running and functioning bike, and like i said, my 2nd gear went out. it is a 1989, that when i first bought it it was stock original... several of the stock parts were left outside to rust when i was out of the country for a couple years, so restoring it really isnt an option... from stock i have done the following, and would appreciate your help...

paul turner chrome race pipe and fat boy 2 silencer
boyeson rad valve- one season on it
22X7X10 Holeshot fronts on red labels
20x10x9 holeshot rears on red labels
22x8x10 sand star fronts on itp t9s
20x11x10 sand star rears on itp t9s
renthal handlebars
36 pwk carb
2 K&N filters with outewears- 1 day on one, 2 days on the other- practically brand new...
airbox outerewear...
3 Red shockweear covers
polished radiator shrouds
prm 6 pack rack
Hinson Clutch Basket & Barnett Clutch
ac propeg nerfs with custom made heal guards
Duncan 265 PV top end. I just barely redid the top and bottom end. The bottom end i put a whole new OEM crank and rod assembly, with all new OEM bearings and seals. The top end i had renickasealed, and put a new 21cc dome in it in order to run 100 octane fuel. it has a 68mm wiseco "racers choice" piston in it. i built this motor on aug 8th 2006. i broke it in nice and slow, and had 3 days of dune riding on it before i blew 2nd gear. the top end was ported for mid range, and i had some additional and more aggressive porting and polishing done to it.

im sure im forgetting things, but for now this should do... everything else should be nice original working parts...
i rebuilt the rear end a year ago, i still have the original cylinder and head that i pulled the original piston out of, and it ran perfectly when i pulled it out- does not need a bore. the frame is in good condition with no bends or cracks... like i said- everything else from the bike is there too...

if ya'll would help me out with some numbers i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance...
-Mark

250r4life
11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
there are picks of my R on page 34 and 35 of "show off your 250r"

Cr85rRida
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Its a clean R, I'm not sure how much you would get with it broke though.

If you fixed the motor you could probably get 800 - 1,000 for it, its a strong motor.

most Rs are selling highest 4,000 and thats pushing it....yours mabey 3600 i would pay.

I think you should fix it and then part it or do both, sell some parts use the money to fix the engine, then sell the engine and use the money for the 450 or whatever.

By the way, if you do part out, I need your factory on/off switch lol.

250Renvy
11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Well it's a crap load of work to part out and it takes a long time to get rid of all the stuff. If money is tight, put er up on ebay, you have some nice stuff and you might luck out and get really good prices for the stock stuff.

You don't have shocks or a-arms or an axle and those are the big money items. The frame might fetch a good price if someone is looking for stock.

But I'd advise to just keep it and fix it or let it sit till you have the money to fix it.

It's a nice machine.

250r4life
11-27-2006, 10:37 PM
yah- i have considered several options... i will have my yfz to race the hill with, and there is no sense in me having 2 bikes fast enough to race the hilll... i have tossed around the idea of selling the duncan top end to pay for my tranny, and then just throwing my top end back on and keeping it... problem is, i would really like to have a bike like a raptor that is easy for my girlfriend to ride, or other less experienced riders... neither the 250r nor the yfz is the best bike for unexperienced and unaggressive riders, as their power is all top end and you have to really be on it... that being said, if i keep the R, im still going to have to go buy the raptor, and thus have 3 bikes... we'll see...

but either way i dont see my keeping the duncan top end... so, that being said, who is interested in it.

i had it re-nickasealed in august, and put in a new wiseco 68mm "racers choice" piston. i also put in a brand new 21cc dome at that time... i broke it in nice and slow, and have 3 days at the dunes on it...

its runs great. i can wheelie in 5th gear, and while sitting down up close to the gas tank, i can wheelie in upto 4th gear just by punching the throttle in the right spot...
my good buddy has a raptor 700 with a full HMF pipe, a pro design K&N with the lid off, and the EFI fuel controller. he had it dyno tuned, and it dynoed at 55 hp... not only do i get out on him on the launch, but i also pull away from him up the hill at the dunes. if you can ride there will not be too many that will beat you.

its got a more aggressive port and polish than what duncan had done.

312R1
11-27-2006, 10:49 PM
How much do you want for the engine as is?:D

-Steve

250r4life
11-27-2006, 10:57 PM
i do my own labor so probably not as little as you would like to take it...

plus if i was to sell the whole engine i would have to commit to parting out the whole bike, which i am not committed to yet... as of now im mainly looking to sell the duncan top end... i would like more feedback of what i could expect from the rest of the bike though...

wilkin250r
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Whether it's a vending machine at Wal-Mart, or million-dollar real estate, the SELLER generally starts with an asking price.

You've got a price in your head that you're looking for on this Duncan top end, so why don't we start with that. YOU give US a starting price, and then we'll go from there. Otherwise, my starting offer is $20

As for the rest of the quad, a rolling chassis can usually fetch $1500 or so, perhaps more if it is a TRUE rolling chassis and doesn' need all the stupid nickel and dime parts like brake lines, brake shoes, throttle cable, air box, and all those items that seem to be missing when you buy a rolling chassis.

312R1
11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i do my own labor so probably not as little as you would like to take it...

plus if i was to sell the whole engine i would have to commit to parting out the whole bike, which i am not committed to yet... as of now im mainly looking to sell the duncan top end... i would like more feedback of what i could expect from the rest of the bike though...

Let me know what your looking to get out of the top end. If you do deside to part I would want the engine, pipe and silencer.

-Steve

250r4life
11-27-2006, 11:13 PM
alright... for the top end im really looking to get $700 for it... if you buy a base gasket, head o-rings, and new rings and wrist pin bearing (its up to you but i prefer to put fresh rings and beariings in everytime i disassemble a top end),you'll have a screamin' deamon on your hands...

312R1
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
alright... for the top end im really looking to get $700 for it... if you buy a base gasket, head o-rings, and new rings and wrist pin bearing (its up to you but i prefer to put fresh rings and beariings in everytime i disassemble a top end),you'll have a screamin' deamon on your hands...

PM sent.

juanki
11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
if you sell as it is, how much will be?

250r4life
11-28-2006, 11:35 AM
sell what as is?

250r4life
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
BUMP

Creech52
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
With the parts for these bikes getting more and more hard to find and with Honda factory parts being discontinued, it may be worth parting out. Usually you get more for parting something out then selling whole, however its more labor intensive and takes longer. Basically you need to look into this more and decide for yourself. But if it was me I would toss in some yukon gears and keep it.

250r4life
11-29-2006, 10:36 AM
im leaning towards selling the duncan top end, using that money to throw a whole new tranny in, and putting my stock top end back in and have a bullet proof bike again... and keeping it for now...

where is a good place to get the yukon gears from? there is an ad in the back of dirtwheels for them, but i forgot it and dont have it here with me

juanki
11-29-2006, 12:38 PM
sell what as is?

the whole bike.
with the damage done. i can fix that.
i tell ypu this becasue you are close to the border, and can pick up the quad.

also if you do the fixing, and then want to sell it with the stock top end, also migth be interested.