PDA

View Full Version : Slips/misses 2nd gear

Rip_Tear
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Every so often I've noticed my bike doesn't shift properly into 2nd gear, either it slips back down to neutral or sounds like it's griding? Have I bent a shift fork or is 2nd pooched? I'm going to tear into the motor here soon, but would like to know if thats what's likely happened.

Thanks for any info. Also any suggestions on other things I should be looking for/replacing in the motor while I'm there?

exrider23
11-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Maybe you chipped the teeth on the gear?

400exstud
11-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Check your oil level. I am serious. Last week my bike wouldn't shift from first to second or neutral and when I checked the oil it was about 1/2 - 1/4 quart low. I have heard of this happening to others also.

jokester
11-28-2006, 10:05 PM
ya I've had happen what your talking about, and in all honesty I noticed that when it did happen I was trying to shift really quick and I wouldn't always pull up on it hard enough to get into second....but it is possible that something could have happend to the teeth on it....

trx400EXtreme
11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
i had the same problem as jokester. i wasnt pullin up enough i guess. But anyway if it happens just every once and a while its probably a tooth. If it happens all every time u shift i dont know wut it is.

Rip_Tear
11-29-2006, 02:36 PM
It's only every so often, but it's been happening way more lately, and I don't think I'm not pulling up enough. Doesn't matter I'm pulling it all apart here soon anyways, then I'll find out if somethings up.