PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust seized

CHEVYZ
11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, after blown head gasket I began to work on my EX. When I tried to get the muffler off of the header, I found that it was seized...and very well. Anybody ever had this problem before? I have tried beating it off and it is doing more damage than good. Just don't know what I could do at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

xxnightraven73x
11-27-2006, 04:21 PM
well if you have it un bolted from the back mount you should be able to wiggle it up and down and a little side to side.if not try a pipe wrench on the pipe to give it alittle twist to break it free careful not to put too much of a ding in the pipe. hopefully that works for you.

CHEVYZ
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the response. I tried wiggling and banging on it to get it free, but I have had no luck. I actually put a bit of a ding in the muffler already trying to beat it off. :(

400eXr1d3rZ
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
It was a ***** to get mine off, try a bunch of twisting and turning, tons of WD40 and it'll come off. It's even harder to get the header off the motor!

Also, make sure that when you put it back on, use anti-seize.

cals400ex
11-28-2006, 12:40 AM
i unbolt the silencer and get a good grip on the can. try to twist and pull at the same time. it sucks, i know. sometimes pieces of rubber (like you can use to open a jar) help if you wrap it around the silencer. it helps your grip.

CHEVYZ
11-28-2006, 04:41 AM
I finally got it off last night. Used a bunch of liquid wrench and all kinds of crap to loosen it and beat it off of there. Man, this thing is really being a pain in the arse to me right now! I snapped two head bolts trying to get them out, had the exhaust seized, found out my tensioner is bad and my head gasket (beauty of having spare parts, though). Wait until I find out some more crap. Looks like I am gonna be doing an entire rebuild. :p

vze2hnvz
11-28-2006, 06:43 AM
When you re-install the slip-on, put some anti-seize compound on the terminal end of the header pipe. It will come off way easier if you ever have to take the silencer off again. I've used this for different quads while putting on new aftermarket exhaust's and haven't had an issue yet.