PDA

View Full Version : Changing motors?

gtilley45
11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I've got a LSR/CRF and I've been wondering how hard and how expensive it would be to put a YZ450 engine in it. I've always liked Yamaha's better, and from what I've heard I think the YZ450 motor would be more to my liking. Do any of you know how hard it would be to put a YZ engine in a LSR/CRF hybrid? I'm pretty sure I could buy new front motor mounts, head stay, and spacers for the swing arm. But, what about the bottom motor mount that is made into the frame? I've read where some guys have went from YZ426 engines to YZ450's and it wasn't too bad, so it got me to thinking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Grant

11-27-2006, 11:04 AM
All you do is cut the old mounts and make new mounts. Simple.

stocktires
11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
lol, yeah real simple...not

A yz426 to a yz450 is supposed to be way easy.
I dont know about a crf to a yzf, but i would stick with the CRF.

jrspawn
11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Ditch that CRF, switch her over to the yz450F and never look back. I dont think the conversion would be that big of an issue, maching and modification are a def. though, not just cutting and making mounts. Ship her on up here and ill fix her up:D I think you would be much happier with the yz450f engine, they are much more reliable, and put out great power. The gearing of the trans tops it all off though, its meant for the track. But all honesty, with reliability, power, and gearing all factored in you cant beat the YZ450f!

Justin

gtilley45
11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
If I do it, I want it to be done right. If I have to have a rigged up hack job, I won't do it. I really think I'd like the YZ450 better than I do the CRF450 and it seems like all the mounts would be very easy to change except that bottom one. I'd also have to mount an oil tank, I'm not gonna run one without it. I just have a bad feeling about running an engine that hard with that small of an amount of oil in it.

I don't really know what I want to do. I've started considering selling it or parting it out and starting over on a YFZ. I can't make up my mind.

TampaBoy813
11-28-2006, 03:34 AM
make sure you have room to add the oil tank...I would keep the CRF over the Yami

gtilley45
11-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I think there will be plenty of room for the oil tank. If there's not, I won't do it. I'm not gonna run a motor that hard on that small amount of oil.

JessetheKid
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
there are plenty of hybrids on the market why dont you try to find someone with a yz hybrid that wants to trade?

just a thought

11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by JessetheKid
there are plenty of hybrids on the market why dont you try to find someone with a yz hybrid that wants to trade?

just a thought

Yeah like me.

gtilley45
11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JessetheKid

just a thought

I would consider it. I just didn't figure anybody would want to trade. Plus, I haven't seen many LSR/YZ frames and motors lately and I'd like to be able keep all my LSR stuff instead of having to start over unless it was a whole YZ hybrid or a nice YFZ. I almost traded it for a Walsh/YZ426 but I guess the guy decided to keep it, I never heard back from him. I'd rather have a YZ450 engine anyway. But like I said, I would consider a trade as long as it was 250R geometry YZ hybrid or a nice YFZ.