PDA

View Full Version : been practicing

Ricky g
09-14-2002, 02:27 PM
Well, I'v been practicing mx racing at the track, who uses the brakes? I never seem to use them much, Am I going to slow? only if I'm going to over shoot the turn will I use brakes, other than that I just judge my speed comming into corners, I never seem to use the clutch much either, on my quad it's like third and fourth gear all the way around the Vet track, mostly third gear, I got to race against some 250R's, I could stay with them for the most part, but I'm sure these guys had alot more expierence than me.

Ricky g

rookiex
09-14-2002, 09:38 PM
You use ur breaks the right way they can be vary usefull.....

Big - D Racing
09-15-2002, 03:32 AM
If your not using your clutch or brakes much, than your losing valuable lap time. You have to hit those corners fast and know how to use your brake and clutch together. Learn how to use a clutch really good and you'll shave a lot of seconds off your current lap time.

raptor_02
09-15-2002, 02:14 PM
I use my brakes all the time

Sick0
09-15-2002, 03:48 PM
if your not using your breaks, you ain't going into the corner fast enough.

Nausty
09-15-2002, 03:52 PM
so do I, really your not taking it to the limit if your just using the engine braking because you wanna be on the gas until the last second but then you can't judge the fine line of what is to much speed and slowing down to much around corners. I tend to use the front brakes a lot because the rear is easy to lock up and then I can't have it where I want it.

Sick0
09-15-2002, 04:01 PM
The better you can tell how fast to into a corner the better you are. If you use your rear brakes rember to use your clutch to. You don't want to stall out the engine.

Ride400exj
09-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Were are you riding at Cpmx in Cal or were

MxDale71
09-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I usually wait till the last second and use my front brakes in the corner. If I'm getting to much traction in the corner (when it feels like it wants to 2-wheel) I usually a tap on the rear brake and it will get the rear to slide a bit.

Sick0
09-16-2002, 03:40 PM
I just give it more gas.

Wired
09-16-2002, 03:54 PM
not sure if someone wrote this already but this is what a good racer told me was his motto... "when your not on the gas, your on the brakes, if your not on the brakes your on the gas!" :macho

jon

YZROOSTINYA
09-20-2002, 05:09 AM
use your front brakes in turns to lighten the rear and also it will sort pivot the bike around the front end. like keeping the front in place and spinning the rear around . good for tight turns. i dont really use the clutch to shift either. just tap it and sorta blip the gas to take the load of the trans. you have to clucth it out corners to keep the revs up or you w ill bog or wheelie.

and what cinqmars said. if your doing it right you will get tired quick!!! full throttle and brakes is all you need to know. when jumping use the gas to kepp the front end up in the air. use the front brakes to bring it down. on dirt bikes its the rear brakes that bring it down but also remem to pull in the clutch and blip the gas.:p

BadA$$440
09-20-2002, 06:18 AM
I NEVER let off my brakes.:eek:

DarkStarRacing
09-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by WiredCinqmars
not sure if someone wrote this already but this is what a good racer told me was his motto... "when your not on the gas, your on the brakes, if your not on the brakes your on the gas!" :macho

jon

did you quote that from days of thunder :D

Nausty
09-22-2002, 01:29 PM
also another tip is to just to hit the berm a tad bit slower than what you think is slower and basically you wanna look ahead and try to predict the perfect second to get on the gas. Corners are the BEST place to make up time especially if you can carry your speed through it as in going in and out of a straitaway, if you can master that down perfect you gain so much time.

Ricky g
09-22-2002, 03:55 PM
The more you practice the better I get, how many laps are most moto's? this track I race on is about a minute and half - two minute, maybe two and a half minutes tops in lap time, I can do 10 laps, then my arms and hands are toast, how many laps are most mx races required to do?

Ricky g

DarkStarRacing
09-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Ricky g
The how many laps are most mx races required to do?

Ricky g

here we do 6 - 7 laps

tants
09-25-2002, 05:05 PM
5-7 laps

Nausty
09-25-2002, 05:18 PM
where i race its 4 laps for the heat and 6 for the main. Its a lot harder than just practice tho because here you riding balls to the wall, your tense, ect.

Sick0
09-25-2002, 06:46 PM
yeah, try doing 10 laps at southwick.
We do 4 laps up here. and that will kill you.

Nausty
09-26-2002, 04:06 PM
my best tips for long races or rides is to take some asprin, drink lots of water 2 or 3 days before the race if your not use to it and stay away from junk food and maybe a little weight lifting every once in a while. I personally don't really have to worry about it and I think I can out last most people on the track pretty easily. There is a lot of things you can do though like you really don't have to muscle the quad around and really long strait aways into gradual graded jumps I hit them sitting down pinned and stand up as i am in the air because it isn't to easy standing up while your suspension is starting to preload from sitting down trying to keep your weight back.

Ricky g
09-26-2002, 06:41 PM
In jet ski racing we have to race four times in one day, two qualifying, and two heats for a total of 32 laps in one day, arm pump and fatigueis is a big issue, I notice on the quad it's some what harder to do laps, because of working the clutch and doing jumps........but it's all good, one sport conditions for the other, quad racing is alot of fun, jet ski racing is alot of fun, I'm glad I can do both, they are both very similar, yet very different, water and dirt, puting the quad in the air is my hardest thing to get down, that is dangerous if you don't do it right, on jet ski's you fallyou land in the water, your chances of braeaking bones is slim, but on the quad it's not hard to break bones if you screw up.

Ricky g