PDA

View Full Version : connecting rod question

kiesta00
11-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I took my engine apart to get it bored/ported and noticed the rod has some side to side play, but no up and down play...how much side to side play is acceptable?? also if I get a stroker crank +4mm, can I still use my 69.5mm wiseco piston? A friend told me I have to get a "stroker piston". I've never heard of this before lol thanks

Eddiesanders250
11-26-2006, 09:55 PM
i know there is some side to side play but not sure how much... no stroker piston is needed, you will obviously need to run a spacer plate tho

kiesta00
11-28-2006, 01:15 AM
well the clearance on my crank is .052 which is way past the service limit. Any input on getting an oem crank or a +4mm stroker crank? I'm already doing the 69.5mm bore and I can't get the cylinder ported till I get the new crank...so I'd really appreciate your input on crankshafts. I dont want to get a 4mill crank and have a ticking time bomb on my hands :(

Keith

86 Quad R
11-28-2006, 07:51 AM
is you current cylinder ported any at all?

kiesta00
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Nope the cylinder is completely stock.

novaracr70
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
you have to have the cylinder set up for the stroker , you cant just throw a 2mil plate under it and call it good the crank will mess up port timing , most the time the head will have to b machined deeper along with a plate , maybe 1 mil top 1 bottom both top ect , just depends on the port timing that you cylinder allready has and how you want it to run

86 Quad R
11-28-2006, 11:40 AM
you have several options as to what you can do here. if you know a good builder you can have the stock crank rebuilt with a pro-X rod, buy a new crank, have that crank rebuilt with a 4mm strk and pro-X rod or buy a new pro X strkr crank.

the 4mm strker is a good choice. it will give you plenty of added torque with the proper matching port work. add that bigger bore you have ontop of it and you have a arm stretcher lol

kiesta00
11-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Where can I buy a prox stroker crank? The guy doing my engine work is holding off on the portwork until I get the crank in, so that's all squared away. Where do I get the spacer plate from? I can't seem to find much 250r stroker info online anywhere...sorry bout all the questions haha

Also another big question, I noticed hotrods only makes strokers for 87-89...if I get that crank, do I have to switch to an 87-89 piston also? I just bought an 86 piston!! :mad:

Keith