PDA

View Full Version : New 400ex... general maintanance to keep it sparkley fresh

10-17-2001, 04:42 PM
Okay, Im picking up my 400ex tomorrow from Honda. Id like to know what kind of up-keep you guys generally do when you return from the trails. Im also going to get a manual for it so I dont have to bug ya'll everytime you turn around.

What type of maintanance do I need to do when I get back from riding? Thanks guys.

10-17-2001, 04:56 PM
All I do is wash it down with soapy water and use those Armor All wipes and wipe it down to make it nice and shiny:D and to keep mud and dirt from sticking in the future.

10-17-2001, 05:11 PM
Yea true, but surely some things need to be greased and maintained. How about the chain and air filter and other parts?

RideRed04
10-18-2001, 02:41 PM
Go to your local walmart and buy some simple green. It is in the automotive section. when you wash the quad, spray it down with water, and then go over it with the simple green. Spray that off with water, and your bike is sparkly new. About every other time wipe the fenders down with some mop&glo. For general maintainence, first break it in. To it in properly, the best way to do it I have found is to drive for 10 min, staying under 1/2 throttle. let it cool compleatly down. Repeat for 20 min, letting it cool again afterwards. Repeat for 30, and let cool. Finish off the tank going under 3/4 throttle. Change the oil to mobil one synthetic 15W50, and fill your tank. You now have properly worn in rings, and every thing is fitting right. Take it easy for the next tank of gas, varying the throttle alot (dont hold it at one rpm for a long time). Now it will be good. As far as preventive maintanence, change your oil, clean the quad (very important, a dirty quad isnt good to work on), clean AND OIL your air filter, and check nuts, bolts, and tire pressure. After it is broken in, you will probably need to adjust the valves, so if you trust yourself, do it, otherwise bring it to your most trusted dealer.

10-18-2001, 03:10 PM
OOPS!!! I guess I forgot about prolly the most important thing, the chain, I just use WD-40 while the chain is still wet, 'cuz that dissperces water, so you could also use RUBBING alcohol. The kind you drink don't work too good;) Then I use the Honda Lube:D

10-18-2001, 03:18 PM
Hey man thanks. I really want to ride this weekend, but now I know I need some prep and some breaking in before I conquer the world Saturday. This means that tonight and tomorrow night I'll be breaking it in so on Saturday I can just have fun. I cant waite! Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else, just let me know.

10-18-2001, 03:21 PM
Wear a helmet and other proper riding gear,, and ride smart,,,,,,comprende'

10-18-2001, 03:39 PM
yeeeeaa... Ive got "some" gear already that I had when riding my trx300, but I want more more more. The dealership mounted some DG nerfs and an AC front bumper for 180.00. I figured that was a good enough deal. I reeeeealy need the nerfs most of all. All I really need now is some good boots. I have a decent helmant and gloves already. Since Christmas is coming up, I'll ask Santa for a cool Shirt and pants set. I like Fox, but I know there are plenty of opinions on appearal.

DEAL
10-18-2001, 07:18 PM
the one thing i must tell people over and over is to WASH their machines.
I had a 300 4x4 that i didn't really take very good care of and not washing it very often made those "little jobs" even harder.
Keep the chain adjusted and lubed, clean the air filter, change the oil and filter ever few ride trips.
Also when riding around rocks watch your rims mine like to dent easily compared to the rims on your trx300 and they will eventually crack after repeated dings.
A manual clutch takes a little getting used to and so does the light front end so try not to push your skills too far until you get completely used to your machine.
Congrats on the new ride I'm sure you'll have hours of fun.

JabberJaw
10-18-2001, 08:00 PM
I have to tell you, the water & Wisk solution works great... but I use Summer's Eve to keep my bike fresh and clean.

RideRed04
10-18-2001, 08:08 PM
JabberJaw's bike always has a fresh vaginal area.

10-18-2001, 08:16 PM
RideRed04, you're killing me... LMFAO But you did give very good advice on your previous posts.

MOFO
10-18-2001, 08:34 PM
LMAO...JabberJaw and RideRed04!!! Little more information than I needed to know. ;)

Only advice I can give is to wash your quad after every ride or atleast try to. Dont let it sit for a long period of time without being washed. Also, if you use a power washer, be careful where you put the pressure. Also, be aware of what you use to wash the quad with (soap)...some of that stuff will eat away the grease in your fittings and bearings...just keep that in mind.

Eric

10-19-2001, 06:25 AM
Yea thanks. You guys really have some great information. However, I think the first thing I'll try is some Summers Eve. I'll pick some up at Wal-Mart this evening. I'll put some VD under my a-arms as well. I'll be the sweetest smelling quad on the trails. Wooohooooo

RideRed04
10-19-2001, 03:13 PM
VD? is that what I think it is? Vinarela (sp?) Disease? :D :D :D

Foxrage
10-19-2001, 06:13 PM
I just took mine apart at all the moving points and greesed them. The swing arm will get rusty fast so after a while take your bolt out and sand and greese it so you will be able to get it out when your swing arm breaks. Im lucky my bolt came out easy but some people arnt as lucky. Good luck

10-30-2001, 04:21 PM
RIDERED04...

that "VD" Im referring to is "viginal deoderant". Im late in responding but thats what VD stands for.

I washed my 400ex, used Chain Wax, Armor All wipes, the thing lookes like new... it is!!! I read on another thread to use "Wisk" but I tried that and it didnt really work that well. I good sponge and water and car soap did fine. Well, thanks for the help guys!!

RideRed04
10-30-2001, 08:18 PM
OHHH, I thought you ment _____ disease! (Leaving it blank to comply with rules... keepin it clean here folks!)