PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest 400ex mods for more speed..

rumme
11-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Hello, I just purchased a used 2000 honda 400ex. It runs beautifully but I want more over all speed but am not interested in tearing down the motor or doing extensive re-jetting of the carb..etc...

The bike has an aftermarket K/N air filter and evrything else is stock...

I am gonna take out the choke mechanism since that supposdly helps with a performance boost { and doesnt cost anything} ..

The throttle has already been adjusted to allow the carb to open all the way..

can anyone suggest what would be the next easiest/ cheapest mods to notice more top end/ speed ..the bike has plenty of power, so if I have to sacrifice some of that to achieve more speed, thats fine for now...

changing the number of teeth on the front sprocket would help? Any suggestions on those types of mods?

JOEX
11-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Changing the gear ratio of the sprockets is probably the cheapest and simplest way of gaining top speed. A larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket will increase the top speed with limits and sacrifices. A higher rev limit CDI may also help but you may need need HP to make use of the higher gearing and RPM's. The front sprocket is less expensive than the rear

There nothing real extensive about rejetting, I belive removing the choke is more involved than changing any jet:ermm:

downeyballz
11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
sparks timing key is $20 and a good performance boost. in my opinion best mod for the money

rumme
11-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Id be happy to pick up 10-20 more mph . Ill try the front sprocket since thats inexpensive and easy..any suggestions on what size tooth to go with for that? ... Is The " sparks timing key" hard to install and where are they sold at? Thanks....

down the road, I may go with after market pipe, etc...but those aftermarket mods are a bit to costly for me now..

H_W
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by rumme
Id be happy to pick up 10-20 more mph .

Yea, so would everyone else. You are not going to get anywhere near that with out extensive motor mods and really high gearing. Going up on the front sprocket one tooth will get you about 5 mph. It will feel like more than that. You will lose a noticable amount of acceleration doing so.

H_W
11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rumme
..the bike has plenty of power

I never thought I would see someone say that about a basically stock 400ex.

rumme
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
H_W.......I dont race or ride proffesionally....and Im comparing the 400ex " s performance to my last atv which was a 300ex...

When I say it has plenty of power..I mean " for me" it does..and that I dont mind sacrificing some power to gain some top end speed...

fastleo
11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
you can always tape a rocket motor to your back while your riding...lol

or have some one faster tow you

seriously save your pennys and get a pipe and re jet it ,, probably your best bet

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 12:06 AM
for more speed.. raise your rpms.. change your gearing..

ad a tooth on the front sprocket..

JAYKNIGHT
11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
the cheapest mod you could buy to get more speed would be a for sale sign then take the money and get a better quad

fastleo
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
hey thats way not cool...

what kinda quad do you have ?

he is trying to ask for advise its ok to play around but theres no need to be a as s hole

JAYKNIGHT
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
hey man im not trying to be an a** just playing around i catch the same shiit from honda guys at times because i got a z400

Hondabeefast
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JAYKNIGHT
hey man im not trying to be an a** just playing around i catch the same shiit from honda guys at times because i got a z400

Man,your just goin on all the 400ex threads messin with everyone,
I know its hard not to ridin a z400 and all.LOL J/K

fastleo
11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
ill bet this jack a ss has a poster of a z400 lol

sorry to steal your thread '

if you need help with the mods pm me ill hook you up

JAYKNIGHT
11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
hey i like my poster

fastleo
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM