PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450er

450rRacer22
11-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I picked up my new 2006 450er yesterday and hopefully will get to ride it around on my buddys track today. i really didnt want to get the estart but none of the dealers around me had any kickers. i know that there is a lot of problem with the estarts, my question is, is there anything you can do to fix it? i mean do something to it that will allow you to give it gas while starting it and not harm it? i've heard that your not even supposed to hold the starter for no more than 5 seconds. i think this is pretty ridiculous, anyone know a way to fix it?

CHEVYZ
11-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I have had no problems with mine. The deal with the throttle is not really a big deal because you don't need it to start.

400exrider0004
11-26-2006, 10:11 AM
It kinda depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. If your going to be riding hard or racing the bike like myself than the ONLY fix you can do is add a kickstarter. I have tried everything to fix the starting problems. I have checked the starting clutch, jetting, I mean everything! The battery just doesnt have enough power to turn over the motor especially when the bike is hot. I have also talked to Baldwin and Derisi and they have converted.

Now if you plan on trail riding or just riding than youll be fine. Turn up the idle and youll be good! Hopefully it makes sense.

450ERRRRRR!
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Dont let all that scare you. I've had no problems with my e-start at all. You"ll have to turn up the idle. Pump the throttle once or twice then start it without giving it any gas. Mine starts hot or cold, clean or dirty. I did pull the air box lid off and replace th emain jet with a 170.

lumi
11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
the 5 seconds at a time e start spin is true its to prevent over heating to the system.

also the not touching the throttle part is so there is no kickback to the starter clutch which would eat away at the sprag cuz its a one way bearing in there. no torque limiter. :(

anyways another thing that would help is neutral starting. less strain on the e-start system and faster spin.

also the battery being too weak to spin the motor over is hard to believe unless A. your decomp is off... do u have any mods to the motor or havent checked the decomp in a long time?or adjusted valve and not decomp. B. your starter clutch aka sprag teeth are wore from kickback heat or lack of lube.

adjusting the decomp can make the starter spin 100 miles an hour to 1 mile an hour depending on clearance and the pressure it releases... usually 55 to 70 psi is good decomp pressure always get things started.... but if the sprag is chewed up it can make for a slow spin. hope this helps.

just info and advice

-lumi