PDA

View Full Version : Help - Flywheel wont come off

ChvyCruzen
11-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I have done a search and found nothing of assitance.

How do I remove my seized flywheel? I have a puller that threads into the flywheel - but the threads on the flywheel are SHOT. I cannot screw in the puller more than 1 revolution.

Anyone have any tips or tricks??

wilkin250r
11-26-2006, 05:15 AM
There are a couple different methods.

One method is a 3-jaw puller (also called a 3-jaw gear puller), you can usually find them at any auto parts store. There is a slight chance you'll break the magnets inside, but it might do the trick when nothing else will. You've got nothing to lose if you plan on replacing the flywheel with a new one that has proper threads in the middle.

Another method is heat, use a torch. When things heat up, they expand. If you can heat up the flywheel fairly quickly, the flywheel will heat up and expand faster than the shaft of the crank. If the flywheel is hot, it get's bigger, which means the HOLE gets bigger, and a smack with a rubber mallet can often jar it loose. This method could also be used in conjuction with the 3-jaw puller. Just make sure you don't heat it up so fast and so much that you discolor the metal.

ChvyCruzen
11-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Wilkin I have a gear puller, only 2 jaw and I already tried that. I also tried the heat method, its still seized on!!!

I plan on replacing the flywheel cause the threads are fubar. Is there anything else? I have been using an impact gun thats rated at 700 ft lbs, so you would think it'd take it right off.

AtvMxRider
11-26-2006, 11:01 AM
smack the end of the puller with a hammer

atvmxr
11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
you do know that the threads are reversed???? at least I think they are, that is why they wont thread in more than a turn

ChvyCruzen
11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I know the threads are LH threads. I observed the threads on the flywheel and there is a cut in them which is why I cant turn more than 1 turn.

I'll try the jaw puller with a hammer. Hopefully it'll work.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-26-2006, 03:08 PM
If those threads are messed up where you screw the puller in, then the flywheel is trash.
Put the flywheel nut back on the crank & thread it on a little ways, leave a little gap between the flywheel & the nut & then take that two jaw puller & put it in place. The nut on the crank will kinda keep the puller end from flairring the crank end out.
You will need to put alot of presure on the flywheel to remove it because its not a one piece unit & will flex quite a bit. While you have presure on it, take a ballpeen hammer, place it on the edge of the flywheel & then take another hammer & whrap the ballpeen, that will jar the whole thing & break it loose from the crank.
You'll have to strike the hammer right hard but not too hard, you can break the end of the crank off.

A good idea after you are finished & have a new flywheel mounted is to spray a good coat of WD40 on the flywheel & stator, keep it oiled up good.
Dont get any oil on the crank before you lock the new flywheel in place though.
Neil

ChvyCruzen
11-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks Neil. I'll try this tomorrow and hopefully it'll do the trick.

450RGNCC
11-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
While you have presure on it, take a ballpeen hammer, place it on the edge of the flywheel & then take another hammer & whrap the ballpeen, that will jar the whole thing & break it loose from the crank.

Not a good idea to strike 2 hardened steel hammers together... if the end of one shatters, razor sharp pieces of metal will fly everywhere at high speed... trust me... it does happen. Make sure the hammer that you are striking the ball pein with is brass or some other softer metal.