PDA

View Full Version : Only a duner would know

airheadedduner
09-14-2002, 01:42 AM
I am at a serios delema.
Sell the R and and buy a Z or keep it.
I am stumped.

The R has broke down AGAIN and I am getting sick of working on it all the time. I don't care much for power as much as I like to jump so I was thinking the Z. And I know that you can get a ton of HP out of them with no troble and still keep it reliable. What do you all think??

Big - D Racing
09-14-2002, 02:42 AM
I'm a big duner and like most duners will tell you, 2 strokes are the king of the dunes. More and more four strokes are competing for the title though, and four stroke is the only future of atv's to come. So try a four stroke, but build it. I too did what your talking about, I had a 250r and i got tired of always replacing the top end and little parts. I fixed it for the last time and sold it. I went to a 400ex turned it in to a well built 440 and competes with just about everything (except for those crazy built duner banshee's that the motor has to be rebuilt 2 times a year) in the dunes and i don't have to fix anything after a long trip!

400thumper
09-14-2002, 07:30 AM
had the some thing 250r .sold it bought my wife a 400ex myself a raptor .best move we made .no more mixing gas and everything else thats goes with with a 2 stroke i'm with big D racing the 4 strokes is the way to go ..

09-14-2002, 05:37 PM
id buy the z put a 450 kit on it cam pipe filter and ur talking 45 horses allready no problem. Definitly the way to go in my book.
killer

Woodsrider
09-14-2002, 08:49 PM
get the Z, or wiat a year, see how the preditor does in its first year, then make your decision. Then afer your Preditor is broken in and a couple of years old, Honda might have a new quad on the drawing board to compete with the stock Z:D

J/K Get the Z

QuadJunkies
09-15-2002, 12:34 AM
Im in a delima too.Do i go with 2stroke(banshee)because i love to drag, or do I stick with the 4 strokes..Ive heard this story many times on the 250r,Im leaning toward the cdale(glamis) or the predator.since your more into jumping, you should go with the Z .I think you would be happy with it.If you get something let us all know what you got!:)

Porkchop
09-15-2002, 01:12 AM
keep the sand paddles off the R and sell it, then buy a Z400 and get elka's all around for it with a fullsystem CT exhaust with Tag metals and Skat traks all around with a + 1 swing arm... with white plactic! and a 450 kit :eek: :eek: :D it'd tear up the dunes,

QuadJunkies
09-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah.. Porkchop is right...that would be sssoooo sweet!::):D

airheadedduner
09-15-2002, 04:51 PM
I'm starting to lean twards the cannondale now. It is fast enough in stock form that I wouldn't have to spend any money on motor mods. Only have to put good suspenders under it. I don't know cause once I fix my R it will be awesome......but for how long??

Bean
09-15-2002, 08:05 PM
im sayin keep the R, i had a 440 once, it ran wit shee's and raptors, but it wasnt half as fun as the R, who cares about fixin em, if possible, bring an extra clyinder and piston and stuff, fixer right on the spot, remeber, when a 4stroke goes, its got alot more money needed to fixer up

cabex
09-15-2002, 09:12 PM
true but a 4-stroke is not down as often as a 2-stroke so it will still be better to go with 4-stroke.

Get a z-400 and put a pipe on it and a new filter, and run it without the lid and you will have pletty of power and it will still cost well under the amount you will need to get the c-dale.

But I guess it is your choice. That is just what I would do. In fact that is what I plan on doing! I can't wait!! I only need 800 more dollars then I can get it!:D

airheadedduner
09-16-2002, 01:01 AM
The Z is almost out of the question now cause with a pipe it wont pass sound. After I fix my R i'm gonna ride it and decide. Thanks for all the non-biased replys, thats why I posted in this forum.

New-400ex_guy
09-16-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
The Z is almost out of the question now cause with a pipe it wont pass sound. After I fix my R i'm gonna ride it and decide. Thanks for all the non-biased replys, thats why I posted in this forum.

ummmm who cares, just dont get caught. btw if your R has a aftemarket pipe i doubt you pass the sound check. :p

Bean
09-16-2002, 03:28 PM
no, lrd turndown silencer wit good packin passes sound tests, alomst any AM 4stroke pipe wont pass

airheadedduner
09-17-2002, 09:25 AM
Mine is not even close. I am building my own add on silencer using the LRD conecting hardware so it will.

WyoDuner
09-17-2002, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm the opposite of you - not much of a jumper but like the power.

Have you thought about a Raptor or DS650? Still get the power and can air them out pretty good.

Also, that Predator might be a good candidate with almost as much suspension as the DS???

Riding the Oregon dunes noise is a concern and 4 strokes are pretty loud with a pipe. Even though it's not the best jumping machine a Banshee with Toomey pipes and a Hush kit will pass noise limits and still be pretty fast. Might have to upgrade the suspension though.

airheadedduner
09-17-2002, 11:13 AM
I'm only 5'3 155lbs, those bikes are a little hard for me to move around in the air.

No more 2 strokes for me.

lil400exman
09-19-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by KiLLeR300EX
id buy the z put a 450 kit on it cam pipe filter and ur talking 45 horses allready no problem. Definitly the way to go in my book.
killer

her killer ur avatar is not a true 4 banger its like a 2-stroke with valves instead of reeds!:confused: