PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to cool my quad?

voges
09-13-2002, 11:52 PM
i have a 425 kit and a TC racing mx cam with
powercore4 exhaust
k&n filter with prefilter and no lid
i run 20w 50 oil
what is the cheepest and most benifetial mod to keep her cool
and i live in indiana if i remove the choke will i have problems starting it in the cold winter days?
if so anyone have any tricks
how dificult is it to grind the welds?

airheadedduner
09-14-2002, 01:39 AM
Check your jetting, maybe you can fatten it up a little. With those kind of mods maybe you should be running a 50/50 mix of race gas and premium pump(i know you don't want to hear that). Add an larger oil tank, that will help.

Big - D Racing
09-14-2002, 02:33 AM
Four Stroke Tech oil cooler kit costs $110 and lower oil temp up to 50 degrees! I run the kit and I love it. It's a lot better than an oversized oil tank, which claim to lower oil temo up to 12 degrees. The people i've talked to about the tanks said, they took the temp. of their oil with the oversized tank and it was no cooler at all than the stock tank. Go to www.fourstroketech.com

RED121572
09-14-2002, 04:55 AM
Ive kept a close eye on my oil temp for the past year. Since then, Ive added a pingry oil tank, air scoups and wrapped the header in Header Wrap. The oil tank is always a good idea because more oil, the better. BUT, the tank by itself didnt lower the temp. The air scoups were added because most of my riding is out in the wide open. I then got the idea of wrapping the header. Having done the math of 11 rides, Im showing a 14 degree decrease in oil temp just by using the header wrap mod.

If your interested, Ill email you a pic of the header wrap mod, the pic is too large for the forum to publish.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

:D

09-14-2002, 06:42 AM
who did you get the 425 kit form?

voges
09-14-2002, 08:19 AM
tc racing

GoingBig
09-14-2002, 08:29 AM
hey Big D was that kit easy to install?

Extremeracer167
09-14-2002, 10:19 AM
My bike shop sells air scoops, same as OMF scoops....half the price. WE sell painted ones for 30 with all mounting hardware and 35 for polished. We have sold about 20 sets so far, and everyone loves them......plus they look cool. If your interested e-mail me. yota1524@hotmail.com

Extremeracer167
09-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Also try the New klots MX4 4-stroke oil. I run it in mine, i got one of the first cases of it, cause im sponsored, but i love the stuff. Dont know if it lowers oil temp.....never paid that much attention to temp. But they claim it does!! It smells really good 2!!! :D

2qk4u
09-14-2002, 11:50 AM
mount a ceiling fan right above it in the garage.:p :p :p :p :p

Big - D Racing
09-14-2002, 01:37 PM
It's not that hard it took me about 1 hour. You have to tap and thread a hole in your head and your sidecase for the brass fitting that the oil lines attach to. So if your comftorable at doing that it's a breeze, if not find someone who can do it for you.

L.Vegas400
09-14-2002, 05:32 PM
hey Big-D, do you still have the instructions for that mod. i want to save money and buy all the parts seperate, but have no instructions

Big - D Racing
09-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Yeah i have them, I could scan you a copy and email it to you. The instuctions are kind of vague, the pictures helped me the most. Pm with your email and i'll try to get it to you by tonight or tomorrow.

Crowdog
09-15-2002, 08:11 AM
I ride in the dunes and I am full throttle 95% of the time. Added air scoops and oil tank. Air scoops are cheap and you can feel more air pass by your legs. Oil tank is more $$$, but I like the extra insurance...

Jon

RED121572
09-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Im writing this little note to BASH the Pingry oil tank that I got recently.

Friday, I started my yearly tear down/rebuild. I removed the return line from the top of the oil tank only to find out the threads are now stripped out on the tank. You figured that when you pay $250+ for something, it would be top quality. Not so with my tank. Now, im gonna take the return line and the tank to the machine shop to see what they can do for me.

:mad: