PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension = WAY TOO STIFF!!!

Quady
11-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi guys,

I really need help with this stiff front suspension!! I did my best to soften it all the way from unscrewing shocks (upward) conterclockwise both of compression and rebound!!! I also reduced air presuure from both front tires!!! :huh :huh :huh

They still feel like a rock :macho

:ermm: any ideas? ..... Shall i just swap them? If yes, what brand is best out there?

thank you

blholtz
11-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Ride it a while and it should free up a little bit

Quady
11-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi blholtz,

I'm hoping to God that I got the right advice from you, coz it sound reasonable, I mean i just rode my quad for almost 8 hours only....!

Did my furst service! Willing to hit the Dunes as soon as possible with full throttle......... :devil:

It better out perform the YFZ450 (with all respect to Yamaha):)

im challanging a friend of mine, actually couple who has 2006 YFZ 450 :D "Next Weekend"

Guys wish me luck i'll keep you updated

coryatver
11-25-2006, 08:14 AM
The shocks will soften up some after break in but they are still really stiff they are set up for motocross racing. You can send them to a suspension shop such as C&D, derisi racing, gt thunder and they will set them up for your weight and riding style

LTandRaptorider
11-25-2006, 09:55 AM
The shocks will loosen up a little after riding, but not much. Some adjustment is necessary.

This is how I adjusted mine. It made a difference, but in the future I will have the shocks worked on. I weigh 165lbs. Back the pre-load collars off completely on the fronts. Turn the compression screw (top of shock) all the way in. Then turn it out 2.5 turns. Turn the rebound screw ( bottom of shock) in all the way. Turn it back out 1.5 turns. Record the settings to help you with future adjustments. This is just a starting point, what works for me may not exactly be best for you. Take your quad out and see how you like the shock settings. Not sure what type of riding you do. Hit some bumpy trail, corners, a variety of conditions. Make adjustments to your liking. You will need to also adjust the rear, as it affects the ride too. I backed the preload off on the rear not quite all the way. Leaving about 1/4" of thread showing at the top.

An alternate method is to set the compression and pre-load to the mid-point settings, and adjust from there.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe. :cool:

knight rider
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
for some reason i thought they were 2 soft i had to tighen them all the way and im only 150 pounds buti race mx but i think u just need a revalve

kendog57
11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
i think they are way to soft for my liking. and if your ltr is still stock you better get some goggles to see after being roosted by a yfz. my yfz walks all over my ltr with ease.

cbr
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
how many times are you willing to deal with amish laz (gtthunder) before he rips you off! he's a deutche bag. i spent over $10G at his shop and now he can't help little old me, since he "sponsors" a few 'pros'. his son is alright though, brandon. i'd like to do his daughter-angie, but she's married to a old high school friend. oh yeah i'm serious- he is amish! his wife wears i little bonnet. hahahaha

MXracer16
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cbr
how many times are you willing to deal with amish laz (gtthunder) before he rips you off! he's a deutche bag. i spent over $10G at his shop and now he can't help little old me, since he "sponsors" a few 'pros'. his son is alright though, brandon. i'd like to do his daughter-angie, but she's married to a old high school friend. oh yeah i'm serious- he is amish! his wife wears i little bonnet. hahahaha

How old are you? 10?

cbr
11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
no actually i'm 28, and i can type what i think. freedom of speech-beeatch! do you really want to start your childish games w/. me boy?

jason14x
12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh boy, this has gotten a bit off topics now hasnt it.

damstr666
01-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I too also found the suspension way to stiff.

I found after riding almost 4 hours on rocky terrain that the front end needed to be softened a lot to be rideable. It was so bad that when I hit a rock with my front right tire, the whole quad would flip up in the air. Its like the front suspension wasn't soaking anything up at all.

Also since the backend kicked up I was loosing a lot of traction, so it made it that much worse.

This morning I softened everthing, and I left the pre-load the same because I didn't have the correct tool to adjust it. Took it out for a ride and it still felt very stable in the corners. I hit a very bump section that before would kick my whole quad up all over the place. After my adjustments, the front end seemed to be responding a lot better staying closer too and on the ground more then before.

Sooner or later I plan on getting the shock revalved but for now the settings I have now seem to be working well...or atleast a lot better then before.

Quady
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
Ride it a while and it should free up a little bit

he is right, they actually did free up after 25-30 hours of riding with soften all adjustable parts (shocks, compression, and rebounds). I like them now.... bike is perfect :macho

knight rider
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
hey quady i found out the same that they got a little softer and feel much better now than they were when i bought them and as for u CBR get off this site we dont need people here like u if u have a problem with him then talk to him about it .