PDA

View Full Version : raptor 660 clutch problems

c-r6
11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
I have a 03 660, with 686, cam, yoshi, and some other bolt ons. I am on my third barnet clutch and i need to replace it again, it already has barnett clutch, steels and springs, and it still wears them out after about 20 hours of riding, what is a good replacement clutch? (GYTR, EBC)

hskers82
11-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Get the GYTR.I have been running one on my bike for almost 2 years trouble free

None2Slow
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
It sounds like the clutch is not completely engaging and allowing some slipping. Maybe not enough to notice, but just enough to wear it out under acceleration. Just a thought.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Check your free play. and the cltuch arms at the case make sure they are correct. The raptor has problems with some aftermarket clutch levers the leverage ratio is off and doesn't pull far enough causing you to adjust it improperly.

c-r6
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
i know that the clutch is engaging properly, when it is let out it has slack in the cable. the clutch just dosent last, it is very noticable once it gets hot, it sound like it spins the tires when at throttle but just slips. the barnett works great at first but if i ride it hard once it gets hot and starts slipping it just gets worse.

fastfox
01-06-2007, 07:23 PM
gear it down and take the load off the clutch

mxraptor149
01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
All very good observations, and good suggestions. I run just the GYTR clutch pack with stock hub, pressure plate, etc. It works great, but I plan on experimenting with Hinson components this season only because they are a sponsor.

I would suggest trying a different clutch stack. What oil are you running? I ran Maxima in my quad for a season but didn't like the results. I have since switched to Yamalube 20w40 and it is OK. But I'm going to try Hinson oil this season to see if it improves performance. You may also consider buying a new cable at the least, and maybe a new perch and lever.

I've heard the EBC's tend to disintigrate fast.

tldPREDATORboy
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
get a predator

c-r6
01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
That's got to be the worst idea ever, considering every time i have raced a predator i beat them by more than three lengths. anyways about the clutch, i am going to try a GYTR with new barnett springs because they are harder. I used to use Royal Purple Max-Cycle but $9 a quart is to much so i switched to Kawasaki's Kawi-Chem and it works great and is half the price.

c-r6
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Even if i had to change the clutch every time i rode, it would be better than riding a slow *** predator!

tater_kamik
01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
ive been running gytr clutches with an hinson basket with no probs. i also have an aftermarket perch but i do not remember what brand lol

Glenyzracer25
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
im running a stock yamaha clutch and basket with a 686 kit 12.5:1 compression, hot cam,ported head, full exhaust, intake and carb mods, 22"mudlites and stock gearing. it gets hot and loosens up but never slips. keep it adjusted,good fresh oil, and dont ride the clutch. i have been riding it like this for 2 years in really tight slow trails and lots of hill without a single problem.