PDA

View Full Version : XR650R Hybrid?

rustyATV
11-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Has anyone attempted an XR650R hybrid?

I was toying with the idea of building one for an XC quad using a 450R frame.

Anyone know about vibrations, weight, or driveline durability? I know they're commonly used for Baja hybrids so I'm guessing they're tough, but are they heavy and uncomfortable?

What about the balance of the quad, since the cylinder isn't vertical like the Honda 450's.

Also, do their carbs come with hot-start buttons?

Thanks

yamahamx14
11-24-2006, 10:12 PM
i saw somebody selling a xr650 hybrid on this site it was a pretty sick quad. it sat in a 400ex frame. i dont really know much about hybrids but if the engine is light enough to be put in a bike than it sould be light enough to put in a quad. i dont think that bike vibrates to bad either.

rustyATV
11-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by yamahamx14
i dont really know much about hybrids but if the engine is light enough to be put in a bike than it sould be light enough to put in a quad.

I don't know if I totally agree with that. The XR650R is about 300lbs wet, which would make it a little more stable for flying down open the Baja trails it's meant for, instead of whipping around a tight course. It could be quite a brick.

Quadboy14
11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
....You point?^^^ This is just the motor were talkin about. I think it would be nice bike.

rustyATV
11-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy14
....You point?^^^ This is just the motor were talkin about.

The motor is the most massive component of any vehicle. To act as ballast Honda might not have given the 650 the same fine-scalpel treatment as it's newer motors. Although that would pay dividends in the durability department, I'm just concerned about spending a lot of money building a quad with the only real asset being a lot of power.

charles ford
04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
best offer or trade for a street bike or enduro.?? 2001 honda 400ex with a title.it has a NX-650 honda motor in it. new one way gear and newer tires. the nx 650 motor is the same as the XR650L motor.it has extra parts like a frame,sub frame,gas tank,misc for it and the nx motor. very fast it and does need jetted and the rear brakes leak. the atv looks stock just like a 400ex. it has a k/n filter and racing pipe with nerfs. I'm taking offers and will trade for a street bike or enduro.?? I have new never on the bike IMS gas tank,frame skid plate,air scoops for an extra $125.00. I will be putting it on e-bay and the paper if I don't sell it soon. I can send you a photo.
440-864-0743 charliekat@oh.rr.com
Chas