View Full Version : Mechanics!!! Problem with my truck :(

Sjorge450R
11-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Well I bought an 87 3.9 4WD Dakota with 161,000 on it back in August. I just started driving it a month ago. ALl the way up until now, its been perfect. Then on saturday, me and my dad were coming down the rode and she started bucking like she was running out of gas. So I let off the gas and hit it again and she stalled. So I pumped the gas a couple times(carburated) then She fired back up and we made it home. So I went to Autozone and got a new inline fuel filter. Ran fine all the way up to Tuesday night. THen I was out on the highway doing about 65 and she dropped all the way down to 30. Then it picked back up. I was about 1/2 mile from where I need to be and it stalled. Again, I pumped it and she fired. Now I am thinking it could possibly be the fuel pump (its not electrical), but my dad said that if that breaks, I wouldnt be getting any fuel. What do you guys think?

AtvMxRider
11-24-2006, 10:10 AM
sounds like there is some kind of trash in the gas tank.

Sjorge450R
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
sounds like there is some kind of trash in the gas tank.

that could be possible. Maybe I could have gotten a bad tank of gas too. I guess sunday I will drop the tank. Its probaly never been dropped so I guess it wouldnt hurt to do it now.

yellowzo3
11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
yeah you definatly could have gotten bad gas and have dirt in the tank...after you drop the tank i highly recommend putting a new fuel filter in again. its only a few bucks and is a good investment with a clean tank. make sure your carb is clean also, and a new cheap air filter wouldnt hurt. a bunch of little things can make a big difference. have you taken it off road or been in any off camber situations for any lengthened period of time? if so dirt in the tank may be kicked around and clogging everything up. take your time and be careful when working around a gas tank.

Sjorge450R
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
yeah you definatly could have gotten bad gas and have dirt in the tank...after you drop the tank i highly recommend putting a new fuel filter in again. its only a few bucks and is a good investment with a clean tank. make sure your carb is clean also, and a new cheap air filter wouldnt hurt. a bunch of little things can make a big difference. have you taken it off road or been in any off camber situations for any lengthened period of time? if so dirt in the tank may be kicked around and clogging everything up. take your time and be careful when working around a gas tank.

nah no offroading........yet. lol. My dad is going to talk to his friend and see what he has to say, but I definently think that I am going to drop the tank and put a new fuel filter in. I just bought a new air cleaner like a month ago and it stills bright white.

Ritthjp
11-24-2006, 11:08 AM
See if that things has a MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Should be mounted right after the air box, inline with the air intake. Those things get dirty and cause similar problems. you can sometimes clean them with electrical parts clearner, but the little steel wire is very sensitive and breaks easy.

BKex
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
It could def. be your fuel pump. Had one go bad on my 79 vette. Could only take the car to about 60 before it would start starving for fuel, and it would also cut out at random times just normal driving.

Sjorge450R
11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BKex
It could def. be your fuel pump. Had one go bad on my 79 vette. Could only take the car to about 60 before it would start starving for fuel, and it would also cut out at random times just normal driving.

would it straight up stall on you?

Quad18star
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a fuel pump to me . My dad's 94 Dodge just started doing the exact same thing . Fuel pump is shot !!!!!

Stevie-D
11-24-2006, 02:20 PM
haha funny you should mention this. swap your fuel pump. I believe it is an electrical pump:devil: i did a motor swap on one a few years back, and it had the electric pump in the tank. (carbuerated) i had mine go in my dakota. same exact symptoms as yours.

you could put an in-line pump in it, but the filter is at the bottom of the sending unit (in the tank) so either way you will want to drop the tank.

just so happens that i am putting in a new sending unit in my current truck after i get done eating. 93 ram, throttle body injected with the pump in the tank. not looking forward to it, but it ain't going anywhere until it gets done:D

good luck with it.

oh and by the way....have fun with the gas tank straps (bolts):devil: thats all i am going to say for now. let us know how you make out with it

bulkdriverlp
11-24-2006, 06:18 PM
unhook the fuel line at the carb, put it in a pop bottle and turn the key on and watch the fuel go into the bottle. if sluggish or low volume then you know its the filter or the pump. it may be the excelerator pump in the carb, worn out rubber seal. id check the pump first then rebuild the carb.

nickmelll
11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
just dump a red bull in the tank and it wont need to run scince itll have wings

<DRS>GPF
11-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Ritthjp
See if that things has a MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Should be mounted right after the air box, inline with the air intake. Those things get dirty and cause similar problems. you can sometimes clean them with electrical parts clearner, but the little steel wire is very sensitive and breaks easy.

that'd be my guess as well... its easier to get at than the fuel pump, so itd be my first place to look..

ugottabayou
11-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I have a 67' Galaxie 500 starting to do the exact same thing as your dodge....

Let us know how your truck turns out!

Sjorge450R
11-25-2006, 02:34 PM
replaced the fuel pump today.......it was all good once agian until we hit the highway. My dad is going to see his friend on moday(his friend is a mechanic.)