View Full Version : stroking a 440 to 460 Q's

stalefish_132
11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
ok my 440 goes good but this winter i plan on doing a +4mm stroker kit along with my 89mm bore =460cc's. my main question is can i use my 11:1 Wiseco? i only put it in in june and it doesn't have many hours on it. i've heard of some people saying you need a custom piston and some say you don't. can any shed some light on this? i don't realyl want to have to buy a new piston when mine has so few hours. i've been lookign at wiseco hot rods +4 stroekr cranks by the way.
sry for the long post.

thanks guys/girls

stalefish_132
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
i found this from another thread, i might try getting this done at the local mechine shop.

Originally posted by modracer5
I had the same problem finding pistons for my 465. 89mm X +4mm stroke. what I did was take an off the shelf 11.5/1 wiesco piston and cut .100" off the top then recut the valve reliefs. Piston is still close to .200" thick in the dead center witch is the thinnest part. the removed weight off the piston really helps this motor to rev even faster. I raced 9 gncc races on this setup year before last plus all kinds of local stuff, 5 gncc races last year and motor just got freshened from top to bottom.

Wheelie
11-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Powrolls stroker uses a 2mm shorter connecting rod so the stock wrist pin location can still be used. However, the piston skirt does need to be modified by Powroll so it will clear the crank throws.

In short, depending on which way you go, retaining the piston you already have is a possibility.

stalefish_132
11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
i like what 've heard from powrolls stroker cranks but they are alot more $$ than what i can get the hot rods stroker.i don't know i mgith just hold off on it but i need just a bit more to suprise people next spring.:devil:

Wheelie
11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
You're right, they are more expensive. The quality of work is first rate as is the customer service.

stalefish_132
11-24-2006, 05:19 PM
yeah i'm not sure exactly what i'm going to do, i'd like to kep my 89mm bore because its still in great shape. i'll keep looking and weigh out all my options.

250X_project
11-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, do what ever you like...just know the added stroke adds compression, and is said to rev a bit slower. You may want to contact Hotrod to ask them, I personally couldn't tell you about them. I have a Powroll, and know that is true what Wheelie said.

stalefish_132
11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
i'm not worried about a little bit of added compression,i have GT thunder HD head studs and i run 100 octane gas in it with my 11:1 any way. as for slow reving i'm not worried about that, ifi gain some more bottom end thats fine. i have a mid top cam in it now so i'm not going to loose toip end lower yeha it might rev a bit slower but that can be compensated with a lightend flywheel. i'm still unsure of what i'm going to do. for the price that i could send my crank to powroll i could get a hot rods crank and piston so whats the point of getting my old crank strokerd when i can get a new crank for less, catch my drift?

Wheelie
11-26-2006, 12:17 AM
I don't know where people acquire the concept of a stroker revving slow. My 440 revs a heck of a lot faster than a stocker.

250X_project
11-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah I definitely see what you mean, Powroll is very expensive. I found a big bore on there that still needed a sleeve/jug....found the same kit somewhere else only bigger, had a brand new jug and sleeve.....FOR LESS lol.........Yeah you could go the lighter flywheel route, I think I may.....just know that too light stalls easy, that's why they have weights for the CRF bikes because they are so light at factory.

I have just always heard they rev slower, I haven't gotten mine together yet to find out:D