PDA

View Full Version : 465 kit "Anyone"

10-17-2001, 02:08 PM
Has anybody thought about ordering this kit?

FatBoy Redrider
10-17-2001, 03:38 PM
I would be careful of large kits like that. My 440 creats so much heat I can't imagine what a 465 would do. I have been told my several top engine builders that anything over a 440 and your reliability starts to really suffer. If you are only going to occassionaly race the thing, then maybe it would be fine. Call around and get some opinions. I'm not sure but I think you would have to have the cylinder halved. That isn't cheap.

nakomis0
10-17-2001, 03:54 PM
another reason for 440 being the largest you see most big bores go. Is because anything bigger is stressing the Rod and crank to there limit. more wear.

10-17-2001, 08:10 PM
Agree totaly I was just wondering if anybody had ordered this or was thinking about it

FatBoy Redrider
10-18-2001, 05:25 AM
Order a 416 kit and do the stroke mods to get it to a 440

bsr
10-18-2001, 07:26 AM
465 ?? nah thats a moving time bomb, just too much torque.. you'd have to replace pretty much every moving part in the engine (rods,cam,valvle springs, clutch, etc...). the biggest i'd go is 440, anything bigger will overheat and will soon cause damage to the engine... That's why i can't wait till honda comes out with there 450cc liquid cooled engine.. you put a 480 kit in that bad boy and your going to get 70+ HP, plus it's liqiud cooled and im sure the engine is built alot more solid then 400ex..

10-18-2001, 08:56 AM
I have riden my friends rapturd, and it has some power, I can beat him now but look how much money I had to spend to do it.

Take the raptor motor and put it in the 400ex frame and you got one heck of a quad:D

465Stroker
10-18-2001, 12:56 PM
TC Racing built me a 465 motor this season. It is an 88mm 425cc piston with a 6mm stroked crank. The motor was built for XC racing with stock carb and 92 Octane pump gas so the only other upgrades were a TC GNCC cam which uses the stock rockers and springs, lightened flywheel, heavier clutch springs, and TC exhaust.
No problems with heat or head gaskets or anything else. The motor has been completely reliable and maintenance free. The motor pulls strong and will hit the rev limiter with ease in 5th gear so it has plenty of top end also.
During mid season I sucked in some water and toasted my piston & cylinder. I had a stock 85mm 11:1 Wiseco piston and cylinder on my bench at the time so I put that on to make it a 440cc motor. I have to mix race gas with 92 octane now with the higher compression, but the motor still pulls stronger to the top than any other full race 440 motor's that I have ridden.
To give you your answer about the 465 motor, here is my experience. It is scary fast. You can out run 440 race gas motors with 92 octane fuel. It IS reliable if done by a experienced engine builder.

004exkid
10-18-2001, 03:15 PM
(465stroker)-- Do you race district 6 or the PA state hare scramble series ? Last time I was at flyingdutchmen i saw a woman (a class) on a highly modded 300 do you race there ?

FatBoy Redrider
10-18-2001, 04:52 PM
That suprises me because when I spoke with TC Racing, Tim said he didn't recommend the big bores. He told me he would build me a 426 with his cam etc. I know some guys he did a 416 on and they love it. His cams make a world of difference. If I was going to do it again, I would have him do it over the winter. Did you ever think of going to the lectron carb he sells?

10-19-2001, 05:08 PM
A friend of mine has a 250R frame with a 350X engine bored over to 475 by Sparks. The only place he rides it is at the dunes but he rides it hard. And hasn't had a problem with it since it was built in 1996-97. I think if a 10+ year old engine can take it, then a new one can too.

465Stroker
10-22-2001, 04:05 AM
Fatboy - You are right Tom generally does not reccomend a big bore kit meaning a 440 piston and sleeve. My kit is the same as yours except he increased the displacement by stroking the motor.
004exkid - Yes, that was my wife. That was her first Flying Dutchmen race this year. They are usually hard to get to while running the GNCC series since they are mostly on the same weekend. That one was after our Ohio race, and we made it there in time to rinse the quad off and get lined up. However this past weekend we were in Indiana for the "Ironman" GNCC and did not make it back in time. This is probable what you saw at Flying Dutchmen.

FlyinRed
10-22-2001, 01:23 PM
Please answer the question on everyones mind. Would your 465 outrun a mild Banshee, Raptor, Ds ect. I love my 400, and don't really want to buy a Banshee, but I want some serious speed. Oh and what does that setup cost?

465Stroker
10-22-2001, 02:26 PM
Only thing I ever really dragged was a full LRD 440cc XC motor which I pulled 3 bike lengths in 100 yrds every race even with switching riders. My gearing is 15/36, while his was 15/38.
I have raced against banshees, raptors, DS650's, etc on several XC courses and pulled on them, but I also have been passed by the same from time to time. Rider fatigue has much to do with it also. So I really do not have a direct answer for you.
I really am not too sure on the cost of the package either. It has taken me 3 years to build this motor. I first bought the TC exhaust in 1999, then in 2000 I bought an 88mm 10.5-1 piston, and GNCC/MX Cam which I installed myself. In 2001 I sent it to TC for the 6mm crank which he installed using my 88mm piston over with new rings. I would have to say you are looking at around $2500 for a complete system including exhaust. I know my buddy paid $2500 for his LRD 440cc kit including exhaust.
One of the best things that I like about sending my precious motor to Tom is that he is the ONLY guy in his shop. That means he will be the ONLY guy that unboxes your motor, tears it apart, inspects it, reassembles it, and repacks to ship back to you. No goof-balls to screw anything up!!

10-22-2001, 03:38 PM
That sounds outrageously high. You sure?