PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Guys: Need your Advice

DieselBoy
11-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Okay, so here it is. My dad bought a truck for my brother and shortly after we noticed it starting to moan when you would get to certain speeds. Noise was coming from the rear end. So, with our warrenty, we took it in to a transmision shop, that shop being Mr. Transmission. We also took it to AAMCO.

AAMCO did a full blown test consisting of the following;

Transmission diagnostic computer;
Up Shift quality
Downshift quality
Other internal transmission tests
Fluid test
Slip test
And hoist test (driving it while on hoist listening with a stethascope)

They determined it was the rear end. They said all the bearings inside including the carrier bearings and pinion bearings were worn, and that it would fix the problem. I questioned them and said are you sure? They seemed certain. We got their price quote and it was going to cost $1500.00 - I said I'll shop around before I decide. So I did.

Next, we took it to MR. TRANSMISSION. They also did a road test, hoist test, and told is it was our differential. They removed the differential cover and found shavings of metal. They were certain it was the rear end bearings also. I again said are you sure? They were positive. I said ok, put a quote together. They quoted us something like $996. I said lets do it.

We left the truck friday, and it got worked on Saturday/Monday.
We get a call saying its done, and ready. So, we pick it up. They tell us all is well. So, we leave and start to drive home and test it.
It was super quiet until about 80 KM/H, then the noise was slightly noticable. We thought oh, crap. its not fixed. So, we went back and he said "oh, we'll take another look at it another day. I said fine. So we brought it back and they did ANOTHER road test, and put it up on the hoist again, while we were there. I noticed a nawing and vibrating from the diff while it was on the hoist in Drive. he did not seem to know jack all. He had his stethascope and all that going and when it stopped I grabbed the pinion shaft, and shook it. I noticed there was play and he told me before there shouldnt be any. So I said what the hells this? He said leave it here and I'll "take a look at it".

Yet again I've go to drive him everywhere, but we're patient. We get a call saying they took it all apart and can't find anything wrong with the diff, they think its now the transfer case gear (forget exact name of it; planitary gear?) anyways, so he tells me he wants another $1400 to fix their mistake. And he won't fix it for anything less. He completely screwed us over.

WHAT DO WE DO?

I thought it was a worn pinion gear & maybe the side gear. Now I'm skeptical and unsure if its the transfer case.

Above all, I don't know what to do about the crooks at mr. transmission failing to fix the problem the first time around and THEN refusing to fix it without paying more or charging significantly less.

Noise:

When you reach about 60KM/H it starts to vibrate and moan, then it will go away AS SOON AS you let your foot off the gas pedal. I'm pissed, and baffled.

Transmission shops are CROOKS, everybody I've known has claimed the same damn thing.

Thanks for any advice you may provide!

Mike,

underpowered
11-23-2006, 04:41 PM
sounds like your rear end is shimmed wrong. the pinion gear and ring gear are not meshing correctly causing the noise and possibly the vibes as well. when you decelerate, let off teh gas, it is putting pressure on teh opposite side of the teeth and the nois goes away. i would guess shims, not your t-case, but i cannot be sure without being there to drive it and see exactly what is going on.

Stevie-D
11-23-2006, 06:40 PM
could be either of them. vibration at high speed could be caused by something as simple as a u-joint. $1000 seems like an awful lot of money to change the bearings in it. i blew both the rear and the t-case in my old dakota. the rear went out without warning. in your case, since its got new bearings...that isn't the problem. spider gears could be getting worn down and not completely meshing/getting sloppy, which would also produce your vibration. the transfer case will also vibrate when it is going. especially when they blow apart doing 90 down the interstate:devil: wish i had taken some pictures of that sucker. suffice to say that i could have dissasembled the entire thing without removing what was left of the housing:D

again, it seems like you guys definately got stuck good without any lube:p. my advice would be to take it to a smaller shop with a good reputation and have them look at it. it helps if it is someone you know as they are less likely to fix things that arent broken;)

oh and by the way, i had my tranny rebuilt twice free of charge when it blew right after i bought it. second time was because the overcranked a line fitting, causing the flare to come apart while cruising down the interstate. fried everything like some KFC:D

so basically they are all crooks, some just aren't as smart as the others

good luck with it. let us know how you guys make out:blah:

DieselBoy
11-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, after taking the rear end apart 2 times, they found out nothing was wrong with the internals of the differential (after they replaced the bearings), and loose play in the pinion shaft bearings has been fixed (reset) apparently, So, I'm going to take it to the mr transmission on centennial parkway that's busy 24/7, not a minute to spare, and get an appointment with him. He's booked to the nines, so they must do really good work. Hopefully he can give me a much better price. As of now the noise is gone, but he put heavy thick gear oil in the transfer case to see if it will quiet it down, but I'm guessing the gear in the transfer case could be worn out, because the fluid was losing its red color, and turning black with SOME shavings, so I think I will take advantage of our warrenty and see how it goes with that.

My brother is not happy, he is a student and he doesn't have much cash kicking around so I figure we should get it done if it needs done while we still have our warrenty.

From what I understand there is only one gear moving while its in 2X4 mode.

I'll keep you updated on what goes on next!

I guess I can be thankful its not the transmission or torque converter, cause that would really set us back.

Also just out of curiosity how hard is it to overhaul a transfer case? I've never done one and while it was on the hoist I was examining it, and it doesn't look too bad.

Lastly, would it be worth my while to replace the chain while its apart, or better yet how much is a new chain?

Rastus
11-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear about you getting ripped, but there's a lot of bad businesses out there.

The problem with these kind of vehicle issues is that it could be a number of many different things, each one of them not exactly cheap or easy to fix. To narrow the options alittle, you might mention what year, make, etc. it is.

As far as rebuilding a transfer case, it's not terribly hard but it's not real easy either. I would say that if you've got some skills, tools, and a good manual nearby you could pull it off. I also might suggest reading and browsing forums/sites of the particular truck you're going to be working on, because forums can be a treasure trove of information from people who have done the work before and have tips on how to do it.

Quad18star
11-24-2006, 08:02 AM
What year , make and model is the truck?

If it's an older Dodge , they are known for the howling rear end . My dad used to have an old Dodge and it would howl like a SOB . Even after having it fixed , it didn't take long for it to start doing it again .

Stevie-D
11-24-2006, 02:26 PM
mine don't howl:confused: course over the mud tires exhaust and stereo i couldn't hear it even if it was:D

DieselBoy
11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
---------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------------------

now my brother is saying that when he stops, and then hits the gas pedal it has a delayed "grab" almost like a clunk.....what the hell did the shop do to it now? and its NEVER done it before until after we had the diff screwed with...

this is turning into a real nightmare

I HATE TRANSMISSION SHOPS!