PDA

View Full Version : clutches are slipping what to do?

bansheemorphine
11-23-2006, 03:11 PM
i have a 440ex with all the goodies so it has plent of power but that power doesn't get to the ground very well i have oem plates and hd springs and it slips what should i do to stop this?

Wheelie
11-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Time for a new clutch.

cals400ex
11-23-2006, 04:29 PM
put in new steel and fiber plates along with new springs. it wouldn't hurt to make sure your basket doesn't have any deep grooves either.

bansheemorphine
11-23-2006, 04:57 PM
i just replaced the springs and plates last year this time i was thinking some aftermarket plates?

flauge
11-23-2006, 05:11 PM
From what i hear the aftermarket plates aint as good as stock. i wonder,could that 440 you got could be reaching the limit of the setup you have now, i hope not b/c im wanting a 440 and ive already bought the same setup you have.
You might have to move up to a 8 plate setup like sparks has..:ermm:

the Z Man
11-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe your clutch cable is too tight..

Wheelie
11-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm running a three year old clutch with the stock springs in my stroker. There's a hint of slip if I powershift 5th gear--otherwise it does fine, so power's not the issue.

Clutch cable too tight would do it, or a broken spring.

cals400ex
11-23-2006, 07:21 PM
well i am not sure what to tell you. a bad clutch cable could give you problems as well. on a 400ex, you should not be revving it up in neutral, etc. i am not saying you do that, but you shouldn't be if you do. i say try a sparks clutch or get a cheap one, like a tusk if you are going to be frying them pretty quick. i have never had to get a new clutch in my 400ex or 450r. i did put a sparks in my 400ex but that was more or less for the fun of it. then again, i am pretty easy on my stuff and i make sure my maintenance is taken care of. for example, i dont let the oil get dirty and make sure the cables have proper play and are lubed accordingly.

Kaleigh
11-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
well i am not sure what to tell you. a bad clutch cable could give you problems as well. on a 400ex, you should not be revving it up in neutral, etc. i am not saying you do that, but you shouldn't be if you do. i say try a sparks clutch or get a cheap one, like a tusk if you are going to be frying them pretty quick. i have never had to get a new clutch in my 400ex or 450r. i did put a sparks in my 400ex but that was more or less for the fun of it. then again, i am pretty easy on my stuff and i make sure my maintenance is taken care of. for example, i dont let the oil get dirty and make sure the cables have proper play and are lubed accordingly.

I was told never to rev it hard when I pull the clutch.. well needless to say.. thats what I do and now my clutch is pretty hard to pull even with my hydroclutch.. can someone explain why this has happened.. im pretty sure its from revving while clutching..

sorry dont mean to steal the thread

cals400ex
11-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
I was told never to rev it hard when I pull the clutch.. well needless to say.. thats what I do and now my clutch is pretty hard to pull even with my hydroclutch.. can someone explain why this has happened.. im pretty sure its from revving while clutching..

sorry dont mean to steal the thread

i honestly do not know what to tell you. is your basket okay?

11-25-2006, 09:08 AM
My 400ex clutch plates would be junk after a couple months on the stock motor.

Adjusting the clutch i really dont think could be the problume. As long as you dont pull the clutch in and adjust it you can never reall adjust it to tight.. A clutch that is adjusted to tight will make the clutch plates not as tight to geather.

Watch the tires. They could be spinning which will make a slipping clutch feal. Mine did that on the road and i thought the clutch was slipping but then i watched the tires and it was just tire spin.

bansheemorphine
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
the cable is adjusted fine and it is not tire spin because it feels like it is slipping on pavement as well as dirt i think i might price a sparks setup does anyone know of a supplier i can get one frome? else have any other suggestions